Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB?
Didn't Cordell block for Lance in College?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The 49ers just traded Trey Lance to Dallas for a 4th round pick. Does that make Cooper Rush expendable in Dallas? Now he would be an upgrade. He has a $1.5 million base salary which isn't much higher that Siemian is making

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Makes me think Brandon Allen is #3 in San Fran.

Trey Lance will be #3 in Dallas.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 09:08 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Makes me think Brandon Allen is #3 in San Fran.  

Trey Lance will be #3 in Dallas.

Gonna be interesting to see how many #3's get kept with the new 3rd QB rule.  Not sure if a solid vet will hit the market unless it's justified by a cap cut. 
Reply/Quote
So when will Lawrence get released so we can pick him up as #2? LOL

Reply/Quote
I can remember when the team used to have great backup QBs ,but I can't remember the last really solid backup for the life of me..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 10:23 PM)grampahol Wrote: I can remember when the team used to have great backup QBs ,but I can't remember the last really solid backup for the life of me..

Jon Kitna
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 10:23 PM)grampahol Wrote: I can remember when the team used to have great backup QBs ,but I can't remember the last really solid backup for the life of me..

Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Reply/Quote
We should have went after Lance or maybe Rush now. Cowboys got him for a 4th round pick.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 04:14 PM)TKUHL Wrote: We should have went after Lance or maybe Rush now. Cowboys got him for a 4th round pick.

Why would you have traded a 4th round pick for Lance? A guy who just got beat out by a 7th round pick, Sam Darnold, and possibly Brandon Allen.

Trey Lance is probably one of, if not the, worst draft picks in NFL history. He was never good and has thrown the ball less in his entire football career (high school, college, and NFL) than Burrow did in 1 year at LSU. There's 0 reason to think he could ever be anything in this league let alone giving up draft picks and paying the salary he'll be making.
Reply/Quote
Will Grier had himself a night.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 04:25 PM)TheFan Wrote: Why would you have traded a 4th round pick for Lance? A guy who just got beat out by a 7th round pick, Sam Darnold, and possibly Brandon Allen.

Trey Lance is probably one of, if not the, worst draft picks in NFL history. He was never good and has thrown the ball less in his entire football career (high school, college, and NFL) than Burrow did in 1 year at LSU. There's 0 reason to think he could ever be anything in this league let alone giving up draft picks and paying the salary he'll be making.

There is no reason for us to get Lance, but I can see why a team that doesn't have a guaranteed 10+ year starter at QB like us would keep him around.  As a franchise we've been pretty fortunate in getting Palmer, Dalton, and Burrow in the sense that all 3 were our first shots to replace the QB and all 3 worked out.  Other teams have had to kick more tires than us in the past 20 years.

Dallas wasn't my first guess for him, but I think the Buccaneers are either hoping Mayfield get back to form or is bad enough that they can get a top pick for a QB in 2024.  Dallas is pretty weird when you think they've spent the past 20 years with over the hill 1st round picks in Testaverde and Bledsoe, then they had UDFA Romo and 4th round pick Dak Prescott.  
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 12:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: There is no reason for us to get Lance, but I can see why a team that doesn't have a guaranteed 10+ year starter at QB like us would keep him around.  As a franchise we've been pretty fortunate in getting Palmer, Dalton, and Burrow in the sense that all 3 were our first shots to replace the QB and all 3 worked out.  Other teams have had to kick more tires than us in the past 20 years.

Dallas wasn't my first guess for him, but I think the Buccaneers are either hoping Mayfield get back to form or is bad enough that they can get a top pick for a QB in 2024.  Dallas is pretty weird when you think they've spent the past 20 years with over the hill 1st round picks in Testaverde and Bledsoe, then they had UDFA Romo and 4th round pick Dak Prescott.  

Can anyone be surprised by Jerry Jones making a decision like this? He didn't even consult his head coach and just throws away a 4th round pick. 
Reply/Quote

AJ McCarron.
Reply/Quote
Bengals tried to get Rush in the offseason but he picked Dallas in the end.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 01:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Will Grier had himself a night.

Yes he did. I'd snatch that dude up if he became available.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2023, 02:34 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Geno is like Rich Gannon, the light came on late in his career.

Good comparison.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Not saying we should spend $$ but no better backup than McCoy just got cut
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 04:36 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Not saying we should spend $$ but no better backup than McCoy just got cut

McCoy is awful.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCoCo00.htm

He's a longer-tenured Brandon Allen, but at least Brandon Allen knew our system and the team really liked him:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleBr00.htm
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 04:36 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Not saying we should spend $$ but no better backup than McCoy  just got cut

I would completely feel much more comfortable with Colt backing up Joe.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote