Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Bengals be shopping for backup QB?
Jags cut Nathan Rourke for some reason, and maybe my CFL fandom is showing but I think we otter pick him up IF we can.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 10:23 PM)grampahol Wrote: I can remember when the team used to have great backup QBs ,but I can't remember the last really solid backup for the life of me..

I know many likely have a PTSD memory block on 2015, but AJ McCarron had the Steelers beat in that WC game. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 04:40 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: McCoy is awful.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCoCo00.htm

He's a longer-tenured Brandon Allen, but at least Brandon Allen knew our system and the team really liked him:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleBr00.htm

He would not still be in league if awful after a decade, a savy veteran that been around will pick up system and team player, if we pick up anyone I like him the best for this veteraned team
Reply/Quote
At this point, I'm not opposed to picking up Flacco.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I'm hoping the team is looking around. I'll take Browning over Siemian, but Browning definitely makes me nervous if he has to fill in.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Give me Colt McCoy over either of the two schmucks they currently have. He's not great, but I at least trust him to have enough accuracy to complete a pass. 68.7% completion over the last 3 years puts him 11.5% ahead of Siemian and he can complete a pass then our WRs can do the rest.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 02:16 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Give me Colt McCoy over either of the two schmucks they currently have. He's not great, but I at least trust him to have enough accuracy to complete a pass. 68.7% completion over the last 3 years puts him 11.5% ahead of Siemian and he can complete a pass then our WRs can do the rest.

Exactly, our backup doesn't need to be fantastic, he just needs to steer the car and keep it between the lines.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 12:12 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: At this point, I'm not opposed to picking up Flacco.

I just threw up in my mouth a little......
Reply/Quote
Jake Fromm an upgrade?
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 07:52 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Exactly, our backup doesn't need to be fantastic, he just needs to steer the car and keep it between the lines.

Also what backups are fantastic, if they were they would be a starter or they won;t be cut.  Mccoy is a veteran that plays hard, he will fight for 1st down diving head first and has been around so many systems will pick ours up quick plus he has experience in reading so many defenses in the league over the years.  If we go this route, McCoy makes the best sense...
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 12:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Jake Fromm an upgrade?

I don;t want an unknown that is a maybe.. I prefer a know commodity so McCoy right now is best option right now but i don;t Bengals do that .. i think they will stick with Browning 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 12:18 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Also what backups are fantastic, if they were they would be a starter or they won;t be cut.  Mccoy is a veteran that plays hard, he will fight for 1st down diving head first and has been around so many systems will pick ours up quick plus he has experience in reading so many defenses in the league over the years.  If we go this route, McCoy makes the best sense...

Exactly, just imagine all of the calls that fans of Dallas will be making to get Trey Lance on the field, when Dak throws his first interception or loses a game this season?  You really don't want a backup to be competing with emotional backing from your fan base, as a QB controversy is healthy for no team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 12:20 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don;t want an unknown that is a maybe.. I prefer a know commodity so McCoy right now is best option right now but i don;t Bengals do that .. i think they will stick with Browning 

Im down for McCoy...  if bengals are okay with an older vet on the roster. (and hes healthy)
Reply/Quote
I can just see it now, Bengals sign Colt McCoy to backup Burrow.

Colt comes in to "finish" a blow out victory. Throws an INT. Is forever dubbed "Dolt McCoy" and becomes the fanbase's new whipping boy.

Nope. No thank you. May as well stick with Browning. He knows the system. Not saying Colt = Siemien but Trevor just sort of proved not ALL vet QBs can "pick up a system" and be effective.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 01:29 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I can just see it now, Bengals sign Colt McCoy to backup Burrow.

Colt comes in to "finish" a blow out victory. Throws an INT. Is forever dubbed "Dolt McCoy" and becomes the fanbase's new whipping boy.

Nope. No thank you. May as well stick with Browning. He knows the system. Not saying Colt = Siemien but Trevor just sort of proved not ALL vet QBs can "pick up a system" and be effective.

Has there been word that Siemien struggled to pick up the system? Seemed to me he just sucked.

I've never understood the "stick with the terrible player who knows the system" argument.

With Browning, we're screwed. If a new vet doesn't pick up the system, we're also screwed, but (a) systems can be dumbed down and (b) isn't it at least worth a chance?

Chance at something decent >>> known suckage. Always.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
It seems very "Bengal" to stay with a terrible player who knows the system just to not rock the boat.

I used to think that was just a Marvin Lewis thing. Hopefully they've changed, but we did stick with Ryan Finley for way too long.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 01:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Has there been word that Siemien struggled to pick up the system? Seemed to me he just sucked.

I've never understood the "stick with the terrible player who knows the system" argument.

With Browning, we're screwed.
If a new vet doesn't pick up the system, we're also screwed, but (a) systems can be dumbed down and (b) isn't it at least worth a chance?

Chance at something decent >>> known suckage. Always.

Browning looks better this season to me. I would like to see him perform with the ones....
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 02:00 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Browning looks better this season to me. I would like to see him perform with the ones....

I won't hate on your opinion. He just looks weak armed and a bit indecisive to me. That throwing motion is ugly, too. I'd worry that he'd be telegraphing his throws and that's something opposing ones will be more able to take advantage of.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 12:12 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: At this point, I'm not opposed to picking up Flacco.

[Image: boo-this-man-gif.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 01:29 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I can just see it now, Bengals sign Colt McCoy to backup Burrow.

I think k McCoy could handle his 13 or14th system..lol
Reply/Quote