Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Special Olympics really be televised?
Who really wants to watch the special Olympics? The only reason to watch is because they are handicapped not because of their athletic ability. That seems more like exploitation than actually honoring them.

I am not against the Special Olympics. I think it is a really great thing for the participants. I just don't think it needs to be marketed as a spectator event.
Reply/Quote
Watching tards run is fun.

Ninja
Reply/Quote
It is more of a celebration of the human spirit that athletic ability.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 07:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Who really wants to watch the special Olympics?

Me, so I can see if my bets pay off, duh.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I'm not touching this one.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 10:15 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I'm not touching this one.

[Image: 1237839477638902669.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I thought this was going to be WNBA thread.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 10:10 AM)6andcounting Wrote: I thought this was going to be WNBA thread.

Where every highlight on Sportscenter is a layup?
Reply/Quote
I was watching a special on them on channel 4 (UK) ... They call them superhumans. That's hilarious.

As far as watching them on TV. ... I doubt the networks wanna be known as the network who cancels the special olympics. Although I would rather watch strongman competitions than the special olympics.
Reply/Quote
This is the kind of thread that has made me cut back on this site.

I have a friend who adopted 2 chinese kids who were both severely burned and suffered some mental handicaps as well due to lack of oxygenation for a prolonged period of time.

I was at a birthday party for a mutual family, and the boy, age 12(but really closer to 4) was going to get to play an inning of baseball at the stadium on one of the all star weekend related events. It is literally all he could talk about. Why on earth would you not want to put him on TV as well? This may end up being one of the most exciting things to happen to him. What other prospects does he truly have? And as far as exploitation goes, participation in this event is voluntary, and we should allow the athlete and their guardians know whats best.

I can't really believe that some of you guys are so cynical/narcissistic that you speak poorly of fellow human beings for being handicapped and not being able to entertain you for an afternoon on TV.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2015, 06:15 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: I can't really believe that some of you guys are so cynical/narcissistic that you speak poorly of fellow human beings for being handicapped and not being able to entertain you for an afternoon on TV.

I did not speak poorly of the participants.

I think the Special Olympics are great.

I just don't think the kids need a TV camera on them for them to have a great time.  And it isn't exactly a good spectator sport.  The competitors have hearts as big as any other athlete's, but no one wants to watch heart with nno talent.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2015, 06:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I did not speak poorly of the participants.

I think the Special Olympics are great.

I just don't think the kids need a TV camera on them for them to have a great time.  And it isn't exactly a good spectator sport.  The competitors have hearts as big as any other athlete's, but no one wants to watch heart with nno talent.

I did not say Fred spoke poorly about the participants. 

If you don't want to be a spectator, change the channel. 

The reason that cameras are there, is because lots of people want to see them compete and work hard. You are obviously not one of them. 

And your logic on the all heart no talent aspect is slippery at best. We could say the same about the majority of college football programs. 
Reply/Quote
Seeing people compete in the special Olympics could be really inspiring to someone watching that happens to be handicapped. I think televising it is a good thing.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Knowing people who do work for the Special Olympics, I can safely say they are better athletes than a lot of the posters here.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2015, 07:58 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Seeing people compete in the special Olympics could be really inspiring to someone watching that happens to be handicapped.  I think televising it is a good thing.
This is the most spot on response.

Other children/adults and their families might watch it to inspire.

It elevates the sports and broadcasts to areas that may not have a great organized handicapped events in their communities.

Do they do they dream to play sports like professional heroes instead of a Special Olympics athlete? 

Of course... but this does springboard them into possibilities they may not have conceived.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Hey, in an "all inclusive' society, this is what you get. ...bad TV

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
"I'm looking for a new roommate Fred.  Just make sure you flush twice so I know it's you, and not a robber taking a dump in the middle of the night."

[Image: th?id=JN.6W1GJi0KqNtEeeNHfhWL%2bw&pid=15.1&P=0][Image: avatar_209.jpg?dateline=1432311161]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
With all of the stupid, pandering dreck on tv, why not televise the SO? Beats watching two lunatic housewives/Kardashians/survivalists/talking heads screaming at each other.
Reply/Quote
Televised poker is worse.
Reply/Quote
Who wants to watch the WNBA? How about women's college softball? They play loads of sporting events that get absolutely terrible ratings. I mean, how many people are tuning into the bowling ESPN runs against the 1 o'clock NFL games? I put the over/under at 13 people, total. Shit, I've seen them run the championships for ***** darts before.

The networks runs all sorts of stupid shit no one watches. The better question would be to ask who the **** is watching garbage like Two Broke Girls and that mom show with the chick from Scary Movie. Talk about ********. Ninja
Reply/Quote