Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Should we bring back Kevin Coyle as an assistant?
(10-05-2015, 04:24 PM)tigershrimp Wrote: I get that he's a scapegoat for a flippin' disastrous quarter-season....

Thing is, he was on the hot seat last year. Suh IS a cancer, you're right. The part you have wrong is that Coyle isn't culpable in letting the Suh cancer eat at his authority, and that Coyle may have lobbied to bring in Suh to halt his slide from favor:

“I think the only possibility that you have today is maybe Kevin Coyle won’t have a job by the end of the day,” the Sun Sentinel’s Omar Kelly said on the Joe Rose Show. “I do believe that Kevin Coyle probably deserves to be fired for this reason: this problem has continued since six games into last season, hasn’t gotten better, and they haven’t been able to stop the run. In fact, the problem is getting worse. I felt like he shouldn’t have been fired last year. I clearly think I made a mistake because I thought injuries were the reason they started to fall apart against the run. It’s not the reason why. They just can’t stop the run.”

In 2013 Miami was the 8th rank defense in points allowed. Bengals were 5th in scoring that year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 03:37 PM)tigershrimp Wrote: Hm. A DC whose D gave up within 4 weeks....

In Week 2, there were already reports that Suh was ignoring play calls and working under his own direction. While the Dolphins and Suh denied it, Ian Rapoport reported that during the week players held a meeting with Coyle and expressed frustration with his schemes, which he refused to change...even after the Dolphins have given up more than 400 yards to opposing offenses in back-to-back weeks.

My vote is no, fwiw.

Back as a DB coach maybe but not a coordinator.  I agree about the players meeting but I'm not sure you can use Suh's demeanor as a barometer of a coach's ability.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 04:03 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: No, he should not be brought in.  That Miami defense under performed so badly... that would be a terrible idea.  I never understand why people want to immediately bring back anyone who needs a job.

Because he was a very good coach in his role with the Bengals.  They really didn't want to lose him when he went to Miami.  The situations in Cincy and Miami are completely different.
Reply/Quote
They force fed coyle with free agents he had to plug into the defense.

He teachers great technique. If we lose Vance then yes. I think he could end up in KC.

I think marvin tried to hire Schwartz as Lb coach but he recommended his LB coach from Detroit.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 04:24 PM)tigershrimp Wrote: I get that he's a scapegoat for a flippin' disastrous quarter-season....

Thing is, he was on the hot seat last year. Suh IS a cancer, you're right. The part you have wrong is that Coyle isn't culpable in letting the Suh cancer eat at his authority, and that Coyle may have lobbied to bring in Suh to halt his slide from favor:

“I think the only possibility that you have today is maybe Kevin Coyle won’t have a job by the end of the day,” the Sun Sentinel’s Omar Kelly said on the Joe Rose Show. “I do believe that Kevin Coyle probably deserves to be fired for this reason: this problem has continued since six games into last season, hasn’t gotten better, and they haven’t been able to stop the run. In fact, the problem is getting worse. I felt like he shouldn’t have been fired last year. I clearly think I made a mistake because I thought injuries were the reason they started to fall apart against the run. It’s not the reason why. They just can’t stop the run.”

Let me ask you this: If Coyle were the DC for the Bengals, do you think he ever would've lost the locker room? I think the answer is pretty obvious. The culture in Miami has been an issue for a long time and I just can't fault Coyle for it. He probably just got caught up in a problem that has been going on for a long while there.

I doubt Coyle was the main guy pushing for Suh, seeing how the Dolphins have been very active in free agency (and trades) on both sides of the ball for quite a while now (Brandon Marshall, Mike Wallace, Reggie Bush, Suh, Jordan Cameron, etc). 

Obviously we're not talking about Coyle coming here to replace Guenth, but even if Coyle were the DC in Cincy, I'm confident that he wouldn't experience the same problems. That's a Miami/Philbin/Ownership problem, not a Coyle problem.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Coyle's officially been fired. I really would support making him an assistant here.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 09:13 PM)JADefense Wrote: Because he was a very good coach in his role with the Bengals.  They really didn't want to lose him when he went to Miami.  The situations in Cincy and Miami are completely different.

His defense under performed last year, and severely under performed this year.  All of the Dolphins fans I know, and there are a lot, are very happy to see him go.
Reply/Quote
Coyle was a very good Secondary coach for us before he left.

Problem is we have Carrier and Joseph who might be even better.

I would not be against it though if we have some place where he could contribute.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 04:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Coyle was a very good Secondary coach for us before he left.

Problem is we have Carrier and Joseph who might be even better.

I would not be against it though if we have some place where he could contribute.

They might be willing to let Joseph go to a DC job if they had Coyle back.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 04:05 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: They might be willing to let Joseph go to a DC job if they had Coyle back.

Yeah, i would like Joseph to stay here but it does sound unlikely with all the talk.

Coyle would be the perfect replacement. Fine Secondary coach. Bring him in just in case.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 04:05 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: They might be willing to let Joseph go to a DC job if they had Coyle back.

Serious question... Joseph is said to be a rising star in this league, with a future as a coordinator and very possibly head coach.  Why would they let him walk to replace him with someone who just failed as a coordinator?
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 04:11 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Serious question... Joseph is said to be a rising star in this league, with a future as a coordinator and very possibly head coach.  Why would they let him walk to replace him with someone who just failed as a coordinator?

Because people on here are loony.

Vance should easily be our next in line, especially for DC. 
If the D keeps up as it has lately then he should replace Paul. 
I'm giving Paul 2 years, more of this and he's done. 
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 04:18 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Because people on here are loony.

I don't think I"m loony.  I don't t think they would want to continue denying Joseph promotions over and over if we don't have a DC job open.  Now if Guenther were to get a HC job, that would be different.  Joseph could move right up.  But I don't see that happening.  It all depends on whether or not they are willing to hold Joseph back until his contract is up.  And I'm not even sure when it's up, but I bet he will be gone when it is, unless there is a promotion available here.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 04:29 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I don't think I"m loony.  I don't t think they would want to continue denying Joseph promotions over and over if we don't have a DC job open.  Now if Guenther were to get a HC job, that would be different.  Joseph could move right up.  But I don't see that happening.  It all depends on whether or not they are willing to hold Joseph back until his contract is up.  And I'm not even sure when it's up, but I bet he will be gone when it is, unless there is a promotion available here.

Joseph should get the job if the defense continues it's trends of late.

He's the kind of coach you do what you need to keep. 
Unless someone offers a HC job, you promote him to DC
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 04:34 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Joseph should get the job if the defense continues it's trends of late.

He's the kind of coach you do what you need to keep. 
Unless someone offers a HC job, you promote him to DC

We don't have a DC job available, and I can't see Guenther getting promoted to HC anytime soon.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 04:18 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Because people on here are loony.

You honestly think we are going to advance Joseph to DC after this season when
Geunther has only had 2 years experience as the DC?

You are loony here RRL.

Not going to happen, not from our history. Plus our D-line is actually getting pressure
and it is the Secondary which Joseph coaches and the Linebackers that have been the
problem this year on Defense.
Reply/Quote
Hue will take Joseph this year when he gets a head job. Unless he grabs someone like Schwartz who marvin wil recommend I'm sure.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 07:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You honestly think we are going to advance Joseph to DC after this season when
Geunther has only had 2 years experience as the DC?

You are loony here RRL.

Not going to happen, not from our history. Plus our D-line is actually getting pressure
and it is the Secondary which Joseph coaches and the Linebackers that have been the
problem this year on Defense.

If PG doesn't fix the defense with a 98% healthy defense, he could easily be gone in favor of Joseph who should be kept under all circumstances. 

LBs are a probelm....PG was the LB coach now he's the DC and LBs are a problem....
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 09:16 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: If PG doesn't fix the defense with a 98% healthy defense, he could easily be gone in favor of Joseph who should be kept under all circumstances. 

LBs are a probelm....PG was the LB coach now he's the DC and LBs are a problem....

Vontaze took the man to Hawaii with him.  We haven't drafted any except Sean Porter and he was a 4th rounder who's always hurt.  

I like DC Paulie G and when Burflict gets back we will be throwing shut outs.  Most of our yardage has been giving up on missed tackles.  Granted he should fix that as DC but he will.
Reply/Quote
Sounds like Coyle got a little too big for his own britches...
Reply/Quote