Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should we just accept..
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."

Not sure who quoted that the first time, but Albert Einstein used that quote, and he was a pretty smart guy.

If we continue to not practice hard and not play starters in preseason, then we should not expect different results.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 09:35 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."

Not sure who quoted that the first time, but Albert Einstein used that quote, and he was a pretty smart guy.

There is no proof that he ever used that quote:

https://www.history.com/news/here-are-6-things-albert-einstein-never-said

Quote:A favorite of politicians (and pretty much everybody else), this quote has been wrongly attributed to Benjamin Franklin as well as—but there’s no evidence either of them said it. “The Ultimate Quotable Einstein,” an authoritative complication of his most memorable utterances, identified the quote as a misattribution, and mentioned its use in the 1983 novel “Sudden Death” by Rita Mae Brown. On his website, Quote Investigator, O’Toole traced, the link between insanity and repetition back to at least the 19th century, but noted its use in a Narcotics Anonymous pamphlet as well as novels (including Brown’s), TV shows and various other sources.

https://style.mla.org/five-commonly-misattributed-quotations/

Quote:Albert Einstein often gets the credit for this saying, but you probably won’t be surprised to learn that he never actually said it. This misattributed quotation has been well documented: it appears to have originated around 1980 in literature published by Narcotics Anonymous (Becker; “Insanity”).

As to the topic Burrow having very little practice due to the calf injury and starters not getting any preseason reps probably does contribute to the slow starts. Maybe one of the seasons before 2030 Burrow will actually have a full pre-season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Not so fun fact: Burrow's 4 lowest passer ratings have all come in September in the first 2 games of the season. He's had a stinker at the beginning of every season.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 10:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not so fun fact: Burrow's 4 lowest passer ratings have all come in September in the first 2 games of the season. He's had a stinker at the beginning of every season.

Prefer no stinkers at all but I guess September is better than January.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 10:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Prefer no stinkers at all but I guess September is better than January.

Of course. It just seems like a very fixable problem. He's missed all or most of every preseason, hasn't he? We've got to have him around somehow next year. Getting home field is very difficult, and starting the season off by shaking off rust every year isn't helping.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
We should accept it after we win a Super Bowl.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 10:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Of course. It just seems like a very fixable problem. He's missed all or most of every preseason, hasn't he? We've got to have him around somehow next year. Getting home field is very difficult, and starting the season off by shaking off rust every year isn't helping.

You would think by sheer odds he’ll get a normal offseason at some point.

Reply/Quote
I’m honestly fine with it.

I’d rather get to the starting line healthy.

If stumbling out of the gate in September means we are a force to be reckoned with in December, January, and February. I’d sign up.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 10:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not so fun fact: Burrow's 4 lowest passer ratings have all come in September in the first 2 games of the season. He's had a stinker at the beginning of every season.

I know multiple coaches have mentioned that they're going to re-examine their preseason strategies next year after a lot of slow starts this past week. 

I do feel like Zac will continue to hold the offense out if Burrow can have a normal TC. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 10:03 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Actually, don't we play as well if not better on the road in the playoffs?  Winning the division may not even be nearly as important as it should be.  There may not be a huge difference between going 14-3 and being the #1 seed or going 9-8 and being the 7th seed.

1 less game to have to play and if you ask the players, i'm sure they'd rather play at home. 

I'd expect an AFCCG atmosphere to be the same as the Bills MNF game last year. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 10:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You would think by sheer odds he’ll get a normal offseason at some point.

Right? Joe in particular has had the worst preseason misfortune I've seen, outside of major injuries, of course.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 08:30 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The idea that Zac Taylor's teams are going to stumble out of the gate each season?  I mean as a fan it is rather annoying to see a so-called championship caliber team's offense playing like they all just met each other for the first time, but they'll improve, right?

Zac Taylor is a great coach and he is going to be around for a very long time.  He may have known more about Burrow's ability last week than we know.  Therefore the plays that were ran were to accommodate Burrows ability. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 11:51 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I’m honestly fine with it.

I’d rather get to the starting line healthy.

If stumbling out of the gate in September means we are a force to be reckoned with in December, January, and February. I’d sign up.

It means you are playing on the road in the AFC championship game every year that you make it there. We have to fight the refs in most games stack on home field advantage for the other team every year just because we can shrug our shoulders and not give a damn.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 10:19 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: Zac Taylor is a great coach and he is going to be around for a very long time.  He may have known more about Burrow's ability last week than we know.  Therefore the plays that were ran were to accommodate Burrows ability. 

A great coach would have run the ball to try to win last week. You are talking about building a team and building culture not calling plays and setting up gameplans which he sucks at. It has been pointed out we struggle in the first half of games that is where your gameplans shine. We are good at second half adjustments but our gameplan sucks most of the time. His play calling was terrible last week not trying for it on 4th and short when we were at their end of the field and going for it on our end of the field, he is so ass backwards.

He expects players to learn from their mistakes so why can we not hold him to the same standards.

P.s. Let's throw deep when we have 3rd and 3 ...Well the outside guys were in one-on-one coverage so that dectates you throw to the outside... In a game that Zac himself described as the worst downpour he has ever seen in a game then why throw it deep in 3rd and short it is a simple minded choice. No matter who you target you do not throw deep.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 10:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not so fun fact: Burrow's 4 lowest passer ratings have all come in September in the first 2 games of the season. He's had a stinker at the beginning of every season.

Right, but it's the coaches' fault, lol. This is honestly the opposite of the last regime. When we lost, it was the QBs fault. When we won, it was in spite of him. Now it's this way with the coach, lol. I don't get it. It's hard to win if the QBs statline includes four picks and a fumble, or 14/31 for 82 yards. The all 22 shows there were multiple open receivers on plays that weren't seen. There were open throws that were missed. But it's the coaches' fault. LoL. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 10:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Of course. It just seems like a very fixable problem. He's missed all or most of every preseason, hasn't he? We've got to have him around somehow next year. Getting home field is very difficult, and starting the season off by shaking off rust every year isn't helping.

Agree again. It's tough for Joe to get in sync when he's not able to practice for a month leading up to game 1. This guy learns at a phenomenal pace, that's why he's able to right the proverbial ship so quickly.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 10:02 AM)jj22 Wrote: What we saw out of Burrow was alarming. For one, we never even thought he could have a game like that. Even when imagining what his worse game would look like.

We've never saw that before.

Recovering from injury or not, we've never saw that. That was something different then the typical slow start.

That kind of stat line and performance will cause an asterisk to his end of year stats, as they likely won't recover.

Yall thought last year trying to dismiss game 1 to show how good of a season Burrow had was necessary. This year will be the same at the end of the year as he won't be leading the league or top 5 in any QB category after a game like that.

The only reason that is incorrect is that you only need 1 outlier in the positive to balance the 2 games out, to make it a wash. Then when you take the median, it's not skewed in the negative. That kind of thing is more realistic in college football with the playoffs, but it's more likely Burrow has at least one game this year with ridiculously high numbers to negate how bad week 1 was. 

Late season clunkers are the things that start to knock MVP numbers down.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2023, 12:05 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The only reason that is incorrect is that you only need 1 outlier in the positive to balance the 2 games out, to make it a wash. Then when you take the median, it's not skewed in the negative. That kind of thing is more realistic in college football with the playoffs, but it's more likely Burrow has at least one game this year with ridiculously high numbers to negate how bad week 1 was. 

Late season clunkers are the things that start to knock MVP numbers down.

Hopefully this Sunday. Cool

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 10:13 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: There was a conversation in a thread somewhere here last week about Burrow being a slow starter. There were a few posters that blew it off, but it is true. It isn't completely his fault as he always has something that limits his camp availability - COVID, knee injury, appendectomy, calf injury - but Burrow historically does not play well to open the season. On a team that lives or dies by its QB, that also means the team will be a slow starter.

I am not super concerned by his inability to throw the ball yesterday, though it is strange. He has been able to play in the rain before, but I am willing to chalk that up to some strange one off. I am more concerned about the fact that he did not seem completely healthy yesterday.

I didn't want to start a new thread on this, so i'm gonna piggyback off what you're saying, though my point is a bit more broad. 

One thing i've harped on, as well as many others on here, is the lack of passing in the short and intermediate middle. I've always thought it was a design flaw in the offense that they don't utilize that as much as some other teams that have a lot of success with it; especially with how quick and fast Chase is. 

As i was watching the All22 for a couple different reasons the past couple days, i started to notice that there were many instances where that was available, but Burrow just didn't throw that way. Boyd was there a lot and Chase was there a couple times, but Burrow just never seemed to look that way, so now i'm starting to think that maybe he just doesn't like that option (?) which doesn't make any sense to me...

It seems that everything in the Cleveland game was outside the hashes. It's probably just that one game though. I imagine if i went back, i could find many instances of them using that part of the field, it just seems that there have been many times where i end up asking, "why don't they use the middle of the field more?".

Reply/Quote