Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should we sell out to stop the pass?
OK, whether or not we want to admit this, the Steelers have a potent offense, that can score quickly. They do it mostly through passing.

Now normally, I wouldn't adjust much, however with Jones injured, Hall banged up and a lot of young inexperienced DBs should we go more to a coverage approach and try to force Pitt into running the ball or taking underneath? This way when they get into the RZ, the field now becomes a factor, and then we can stop the run and the underneath. Sure that would be a lot of FGs, but it is easier to rebound if the opponent kicks 3 FGs than if they score TDs quickly.

I am all for scoring as much as possible, so the offense will be important in getting points, but Hill will be very important in controlling the clock so as not to keep giving Pitt more and more chances at getting their pass game going.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 09:15 PM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: OK, whether or not we want to admit this, the Steelers have a potent offense, that can score quickly.  They do it mostly through passing.

Now normally, I wouldn't adjust much, however with Jones injured, Hall banged up and a lot of young inexperienced DBs should we go more to a coverage approach and try to force Pitt into running the ball or taking underneath?  This way when they get into the RZ, the field now becomes a factor, and then we can stop the run and the underneath.  Sure that would be a lot of FGs, but it is easier to rebound if the opponent kicks 3 FGs than if they score TDs quickly.

I am all for scoring as much as possible, so the offense will be important in getting points, but Hill will be very important in controlling the clock so as not to keep giving Pitt more and more chances at getting their pass game going.

Brown caught 1 td in the RZ in the first game and 2 inside the RZ just last week. If the front four can get home they'll be fine. I wouldn't give them anything.
Reply/Quote
I don't know about "selling out" to stop the pass.  First of all, you have to stop the run, and put them into pass 1st mode.  Then, you have to get to Ben, rough him up a bit.  Because if you don't, those receivers WILL eventually get open.  Our secondary is a strength of our defense, but the pass rush has to make their job a little easier.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 09:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know about "selling out" to stop the pass.  First of all, you have to stop the run, and put them into pass 1st mode.  Then, you have to get to Ben, rough him up a bit.  Because if you don't, those receivers WILL eventually get open.  Our secondary is a strength of our defense, but the pass rush has to make their job a little easier.

Yes, before the injury bug hit the secondary!!! Sad Now, it is a liability.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 10:43 PM)Derrick Wrote: Yes, before the injury bug hit the secondary!!! Sad Now, it is a liability.

Well, after taking that into consideration, I say cheap shot at every opportunity.

Why not?  It's worked for the Steelers for generations..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
When you sell out to stop anything you usually get burned. Just play our defense and limit them. We did it before with the exception of the first drive.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 12:58 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: When you sell out to stop anything you usually get burned.   Just play our defense and limit them.   We did it before with the exception of the first drive.

As been mentioned though, before we had Jones and Hall, as well as Dennard as a backup.

Now we have Dre (who flashes and has good to great games sometimes, but is inconsistent), possibly a banged up Hall, and Dennard is out for the year.  We have a lot of inexperienced guys out there.

I am talking more about pulling your safeties back some more, and not letting anyone get behind them.

I would maybe pull a LBer and go extra Safety or CB.  The Pass Rush will be key here, we will have to get to Ben, and MAKE him throw quick, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be able to throw a 40 yrd pass, no matter how good the pass rush is.  So I think we should keep at least one safety back to make sure that Ben doesn't have that long ball as an option.  If he does get a guy open, then that safety will have to make the play to prevent it from going for a TD.
Reply/Quote
Im ok with our front seven holding down the run, but we cant get foolish blitzing DB's.
Reply/Quote
Wind gusts up to 40 mph. Not sure if this is good news or bad.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 01:16 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Wind gusts up to 40 mph. Not sure if this is good news or bad.

I think that's good, because Pitt's game is predicated on deep passes.  That might make it easier for what's left of our secondary to keep Brown and Co in check.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 12:30 PM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: As been mentioned though, before we had Jones and Hall, as well as Dennard as a backup.

Now we have Dre (who flashes and has good to great games sometimes, but is inconsistent), possibly a banged up Hall, and Dennard is out for the year.  We have a lot of inexperienced guys out there.

I am talking more about pulling your safeties back some more, and not letting anyone get behind them.

I would maybe pull a LBer and go extra Safety or CB.  The Pass Rush will be key here, we will have to get to Ben, and MAKE him throw quick, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be able to throw a 40 yrd pass, no matter how good the pass rush is.  So I think we should keep at least one safety back to make sure that Ben doesn't have that long ball as an option.  If he does get a guy open, then that safety will have to make the play to prevent it from going for a TD.

that's the key for me...to be honest both Reggie and Iloka (really need him to play) are normally pretty disciplined at staying over the top of receivers but i  think thats really got to be the priority in this game with our CB situation

If Bryant gets 1 on 1 with Hall on the outside at any moment i think Big Ben goes deep so we better pray we have deep safety cover. Hall is super smart and competitive but he simply has not got the wheels anymore.

Normally i veer towards more aggressive approach and would love to blitz more but i think whilst it may be frustrating we're going to have to try and make them go the length of the field and be more prevent.

I'm hoping reggie/iloka come up with an deep interception at some point
Reply/Quote
We need Geno to dominate another game. If he does the rest will fall into place.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 01:37 PM)sonofstat Wrote: that's the key for me...to be honest both Reggie and Iloka (really need him to play) are normally pretty disciplined at staying over the top of receivers but i  think thats really got to be the priority in this game with our CB situation

If Bryant gets 1 on 1 with Hall on the outside at any moment i think Big Ben goes deep so we better pray we have deep safety cover. Hall is super smart and competitive but he simply has not got the wheels anymore.

Normally i veer towards more aggressive approach and would love to blitz more but i think whilst it may be frustrating we're going to have to try and make them go the length of the field and be more prevent.

I'm hoping reggie/iloka come up with an deep interception at some point

I'm looking for Reggie and George to knock the snot out of their receivers to the point of giving them alligator arms. Bottom line, Hill and Bernard are going to have to have huge days to keep the rapist off the field.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 01:16 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Wind gusts up to 40 mph. Not sure if this is good news or bad.

Long balls will sail..
Reply/Quote

If windy, I think that favors the Bengals. The Steelers passing game is more long ball oriented than the Bengals so if Ben has to throw into a 40 MPH wind for 2 quarters, I think we gain a slight advantage. We also gain it a little with home field advantage against their DL (quiet) and our DL benefits versus game one as their OL has to focus on the ball being snapped versus a vocal count.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

[Image: card-2-24-2014-1.jpg]
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 09:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote:  put them into pass 1st mode.  

They already are. Stop the pass as any means necessary
Reply/Quote
I'm worried about their passing game, but we shouldn't play to weaknesses if that's what you're suggesting. Make changes? Sure, you have to when your secondary starts to get injured.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 05:24 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: [Image: card-2-24-2014-1.jpg]

this means its bad
Reply/Quote
Steelers rush offense isn't terrible either. Deangelo Williams is on fire. They will get their yards regardless. It's the ability to hold them to field goal's instead of touchdowns that will be the difference.

If the Bengals hold the Steelers offense to under 400 yards total, I will look at that as a positive.
Reply/Quote