Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sick Co Workers
Just a question, how often have you been "sick" from your job in the past year?

And by "sick" I mean you have called in sick. Maybe you actually felt good, but you just needed a personal day off so you called in "sick".

I bring this up because I have a couple of co workers who constantly are calling in sick. The one person I work with has missed maybe 6 of the past 8 Mondays and that's not an exaggeration. She has taken a vacation day for maybe 2 of them and called in "sick" for the remaining 4. I just find it funny how she is always sick, or her kids are always sick, on Mondays.

The other guy calls in sick all the time as well. He has probably called in sick maybe 4 or 5 times already this year.

I just get annoyed. None of my bosses say anything and its just like they get away with it. Meanwhile I show up everyday and have taken maybe 3 sick days in the past 3 years.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
In the last year, for two weeks while my daughter was sick and one day when my son had an appendectomy.

If they've got kids, could be it. The year my daughter started kindergarten, she was absent 10-12 days.

But, ultimately, sick time is a benefit. Just like vacation, tuition assistance, etc. I don't ever fault a coworker or employee for using a benefit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 10:20 AM)Benton Wrote: In the last year, for two weeks while my daughter was sick and one day when my son had an appendectomy.

If they've got kids, could be it. The year my daughter started kindergarten, she was absent 10-12 days.

But, ultimately, sick time is a benefit. Just like vacation, tuition assistance, etc. I don't ever fault a coworker or employee for using a benefit.

The thing is, we dont really get an allotted amount of sick days. Its not like specified or anything. 
Reply/Quote
I get 3 weeks personal and 3 weeks sick per year. I try not to abuse it, but I have no problem using my sick days every once in a while when I want. I just tell myself it fits under the "prevention" definition of when you can use sick days.

Maybe it's my time working in a more worker-friendly country, but workers get treated fairly poorly in the US when compared to many orçar developed nations. I have a hard time getting upset with people that take full advantage of their right to time off.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 10:24 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The thing is, we dont really get an allotted amount of sick days. Its not like specified or anything. 

If it is paid sick time it is specified somewhere.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 09:55 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Just a question, how often have you been "sick" from your job in the past year?

And by "sick" I mean you have called in sick. Maybe you actually felt good, but you just needed a personal day off so you called in "sick".

I bring this up because I have a couple of co workers who constantly are calling in sick. The one person I work with has missed maybe 6 of the past 8 Mondays and that's not an exaggeration. She has taken a vacation day for maybe 2 of them and called in "sick" for the remaining 4. I just find it funny how she is always sick, or her kids are always sick, on Mondays.

The other guy calls in sick all the time as well. He has probably called in sick maybe 4 or 5 times already this year.

I just get annoyed. None of my bosses say anything and its just like they get away with it. Meanwhile I show up everyday and have taken maybe 3 sick days in the past 3 years.

Occansionally you gotta call off... I have had to take a day or two already this year for my dog and wife. and one for myself to get to a doctor.

I just wish people would call off sick when they are sick as well when your in a building with 2000+ people germs move quickly.

If i have a fever i will call off. (if i can. sometimes work must be done. and im the only one to do what i do)

(04-14-2016, 10:46 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: If it is paid sick time it is specified somewhere.

My work you earn XX amount of paid days off each year depending on how long you are there.

Can be used to schedule off days or get paid when calling off. They also have a credit system. Calling out cost 1 credit being 8 minutes late cost 1/2

once your out of those your gone.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 09:55 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I just get annoyed. None of my bosses say anything and its just like they get away with it. 

It is none of your business unless their sick days make you do more work.

As long as a person gets his work done it doesn't matter how many sick days he/she takes off.
Reply/Quote
I hated working with co-workers who were too concerned about what I do.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 10:24 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The thing is, we dont really get an allotted amount of sick days. Its not like specified or anything. 

If empoyees are not getting paid when they call in sick then your bosses probably love when they do it.
Reply/Quote

That's something every business should have. 
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 12:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is none of your business unless their sick days make you do more work.

As long as a person gets his work done it doesn't matter how many sick days he/she takes off.

This is my view as well. I can count on one hand the number of times I have called in sick in my adult life. I use my sick days for appointments and the like, which our policy allows. I'm the workaholic type that is in the office at 7, last one to leave for the day, etc. As a supervisor, I have to keep an eye on this because of fairness and policy. If I didn't, though, I wouldn't care as long as they are getting their work done.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 12:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If empoyees are not getting paid when they call in sick then your bosses probably love when they do it.

I had an employee that called in a lot, and I had no problem for that reason. She was always there when I needed her, but if she called in 5 days out of the month, I was a little better ahead in my budget. I ended up doing the work, but sometimes it was worth it.
Reply/Quote
So from everything you guys have said I guess I should start minding my own business and calling in sick more. Got it. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I've taken a few if we have no one to watch my son. I usually take time off if I have an appointment that I can't get to on the weekend on later in the day.

I chose to call in one day to hang out with my son. I knew I didn't have much for work so a 3 day weekend sounded nice.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I have used ten sick days in 9 years. And they were all at once when I underwent surgery for a detached retina. Other than that I haven't missed a day.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 02:08 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: So from everything you guys have said I guess I should start minding my own business and calling in sick more. Got it.  ThumbsUp

Bingo!  

I have used a "mental health day" or two in the past, I must admit.  Hell, more than one or two over the years.  Divorcing someone from another planet can be stressful at times  Smirk

For the record my last sick day used was last July, and I was sick.  I have no problem with people using their sick time so long as they don't abuse it or cause any coworkers undue hardship because of it.  Actually, I see a lot of the reverse where I work: the people that refuse to use a sick day even when they're sick.  Then, they brag about it like they deserve a ***** medal, going on about the times they've been sick but dragged themselves to work. Terrific, how many other people do you infect with your bravery and sacrifice, moron?  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I've called in sick exactly 2 times in the past ten years and wasn't sick either time. Hungover shouldn't count.
Reply/Quote