Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sign Anquan Boldin
I didn't see this topic anywhere, and I know that everyone would say "oh, we just sign over-the-hill players with nothing to offer," but we have AJ to draw most of the coverage, obviously, and then guys like LaFell, Boyd, and Core, but not much after that, so why not bring in a guy that has sure-hands like Boldin?

These stats show that he had the 13th lowest drop rate in the league (I think it was over a three-year period), so he'd be great for our #2, possession receiver for when we need a sure catch.

I'm not saying he'd put us over the top or be the missing piece, but I don't see anything wrong with bringing in an aged vet on a one year deal since he won't command much money being that he's 36.

You can never have enough receivers, especially with the way the injury bug bites this team.

Is it worth at least bringing him in?
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 09:24 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I didn't see this topic anywhere, and I know that everyone would say "oh, we just sign over-the-hill players with nothing to offer," but we have AJ to draw most of the coverage, obviously, and then guys like LaFell, Boyd, and Core, but not much after that, so why not bring in a guy that has sure-hands like Boldin?

These stats show that he had the 13th lowest drop rate in the league (I think it was over a three-year period), so he'd be great for our #2, possession receiver for when we need a sure catch.

I'm not saying he'd put us over the top or be the missing piece, but I don't see anything wrong with bringing in an aged vet on a one year deal since he won't command much money being that he's 36.

You can never have enough receivers, especially with the way the injury bug bites this team.

Is it worth it? Yes and i would be all for it.

Problem is it won't happen and Hobspin said it won't. They won't bring in a WR over 29 anymore after the likes of
Coles and TO. Plus, they think they already have their Slot Receiver with great hands in Boyd who is faster than
Boldin. Bringing Boldin in to mentor Boyd i think would be a good idea but even then would Boldin want to sit on
the bench mentoring a guy or would he rather wait for a team to want a starter?

I think Boldin catches on somewhere but not here sadly.

Freeney on the other hand could land here and i would welcome that big time. This team always takes over the
hill pass rushers and Freeney isn't even over the hill yet. 8 sacks last year in 11 games i last heard. That is an
upgrade over Gilberry if he can keep up some of that production.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 09:24 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I didn't see this topic anywhere, and I know that everyone would say "oh, we just sign over-the-hill players with nothing to offer," but we have AJ to draw most of the coverage, obviously, and then guys like LaFell, Boyd, and Core, but not much after that, so why not bring in a guy that has sure-hands like Boldin?

have we just lost all faith in Boyd? and Core?  I thought I saw a thread by you about how awesome they were gonna be...  signing Bolden ensures they don't see the field often in 2016
Reply/Quote
I love Anquan but I don't see the value bringing him here to fight for snaps with Cody Core and Brandon Tate.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
If he converted to linebacker sure. Then he could be this year's statue starter.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I'd kick the tires....see what he has left.  One thing is for sure, dude is a gamer, a consummate professional, and a good possession receiver.  Why not?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Here is what I don;t understand if Boldin has that much upside there are other teams worse than us in WR and some in same position, why has he not been picked up by any other team ?? I am going to guess money and length of contract he wants, just probably does not fit in with most teams bottom line right now.
Reply/Quote
Only way it happens is if there is an injury. He would be taking snaps directly from Boyd. And may not last more than a year. So next year when Boldin and LaFell move on we are left with a bunch of unknowns behind AJ.

We gotta see what we have in the young guys.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 02:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, I'd kick the tires....see what he has left.  One thing is for sure, dude is a gamer, a consummate professional, and a good possession receiver.  Why not?

im guessing his price demand is to high for his age.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 12:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: have we just lost all faith in Boyd? and Core?  I thought I saw a thread by you about how awesome they were gonna be...  signing Bolden ensures they don't see the field often in 2016

I'm high on both, but receiver is the hardest position to transfer from college to the NFL for a number of reasons, such as beating coverage to get open, route running is more precise, there's a lot more routes, etc., which all of those are important, so why not bring in a proven vet for when we need clutch plays (we wouldn't only use him then, but having a reliable guy is a must).

Not to mention that it never hurts to have a stable full of receivers.
Reply/Quote
I like Boldin, really do. But Boyd has a pretty similar game to him and that's why I don't want him to sign here, nor do I see it happening.

They're both possession receivers. Boldin is a little tougher and fights for more yards, meanwhile Boyd has a bigger catch raidus and makes people miss.

This team lacks a deep threat outside of Green. Not necessarily a bad thing, as most teams only have one deep weapon (look at Atlanta). But Boldin doesn't really add anything we don't have.

I'm a big fan of Boldin, but we have our possession receiver in Boyd.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 05:57 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I like Boldin, really do. But Boyd has a pretty similar game to him and that's why I don't want him to sign here, nor do I see it happening.

They're both possession receivers. Boldin is a little tougher and fights for more yards, meanwhile Boyd has a bigger catch raidus and makes people miss.

This team lacks a deep threat outside of Green. Not necessarily a bad thing, as most teams only have one deep weapon (look at Atlanta). But Boldin doesn't really add anything we don't have.

I'm a big fan of Boldin, but we have our possession receiver in Boyd.

One thing though.....Boyd is an unknown.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 07:05 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm high on both, but receiver is the hardest position to transfer from college to the NFL for a number of reasons, such as beating coverage to get open, route running is more precise, there's a lot more routes, etc., which all of those are important, so why not bring in a proven vet for when we need clutch plays (we wouldn't only use him then, but having a reliable guy is a must).

Not to mention that it never hurts to have a stable full of receivers.

I would have loved to have him over the past few years.   Eifert pretty much fills the role boldin would bring.  I would look for a speedy WR if we were to bring in someone.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 10:03 AM)Wyche Wrote: One thing though.....Boyd is an unknown.

And?

Boldin is 35 years old and will be 36 this season.

People always complain that we need to let our young talent play, so why not let Boyd play?
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 02:32 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: And?

People always complain that we need to let our young talent play, so why not let Boyd play?

And Kroft and Hewitt and Burkhead and others need more touches imo
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 02:32 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: And?

All about the insurance my man.....beyond Boyd, if he tanks, who do you have?  Now with the Eifert question, does this look like such a bad signing?  What's the hurt in bringing him in for a workout?  Jerry Rice was 41 when he retired, and Boldin is renowned for his work ethic as well......

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 04:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: And Kroft and Hewitt and Burkhead and others need more touches imo

Maybe Kroft, but Hewitt and Burkhead are what they are.....role players.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 10:39 AM)Wyche Wrote: Maybe Kroft, but Hewitt and Burkhead are what they are.....role players.

Hewitt has done well when we send him out for passes and burkhead is underused for what he does for us. but its hard to get everyone on the field.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 12:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Hewitt has done well when we send him out for passes and burkhead is underused for what he does for us. but its hard to get everyone on the field.

I'd call it ok on Hewitt, but he really took a step back in his blocking last year....he whiffed quite a bit.  Burkhead showed what he is at Indy.....a slightly better Brian Leonard, and that may be a reach.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 12:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: have we just lost all faith in Boyd? and Core?  I thought I saw a thread by you about how awesome they were gonna be...  signing Bolden ensures they don't see the field often in 2016

The reality is that rookies very rarely make a huge impact in their first year.  If you have a team that is on the cusp of going deep in the playoffs, you can't really expect a rookie to be as solid and savvy as a vet.

That being said, I don't think we need to rely on Boyd and Core all that much.  AJ and Eifert will take most of the targets.  We just need the other WRs to not make any major mental mistakes that would cost this team games.
Reply/Quote