Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signing Mixon a good move?
Starting to wonder if signing Mixon to all that $ was a wise move....starting to like the thunder and lightening combo of Gio and Perine
This is serious arm chair QB talk I know...because I was good with the Mixon contract at the time.
Reply/Quote
unless they plan to ressurrect the run game in the next year I'd say this was a bad signing.

the Bernard Signing has been a really good move though.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:41 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Starting to wonder if signing Mixon to all that $ was a wise move....starting to like the thunder and lightening combo of Gio and Perine
This is serious arm chair QB talk I know...because I was good with the Mixon contract at the time.

Nope, not a good move. Paying a running back big money to run behind a bottom 3 line is a recipe for failure.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
I said in the Game Day thread that this is why signing RBs to extensions/big $ usually is a bad idea. Get a good OL and your running game will be strong.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:45 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Nope, not a good move.  Paying a running back big money to run behind a bottom 3 line is a recipe for failure.

I would only agree with that if you're not going to commit anything else to the OL.  That remains to be seen and still a few years left on the Mixon contract.  I think extending him now and upgrading that OL next year will make a lot of people appreciate the move.  I also think Mixon and Gio could be one hell of a combo if used properly.  And I'm certainly not going to go off the game today against an awful Texans run D to determine anything.  

But if the Bengals are smart, they utilize the run game next year to establish PA and get Burrow more time and better downfield options.  It's a tried and true recipe and the RBs on the team now can make it work.  It's really on the OL at this point.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've always preached that unless your RB is Barry Sanders-ish, never sign them to a big deal. If you have a terrible OL, they likely won't be worth it. If you have a good OL, it's too easy to find good cheap production at RB.

EDIT: If you're going to throw it 40+ times a game, it's even less of a good idea to pay big money to a RB.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
When is the best cap friendly opportunity the Bengals can use to get out of Mixon contract?

Not that I expect they will... once you are drafted a Bengals you usually stay for 90% of your career lol
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
It's always a difficult topic. Ultimately, I think we'll be a better team if that money was spent elsewhere but you can't guarantee they'll do that you want with that money regardless (see: Bobby Hart extension) so it's hard to definitively label a signing as bad just because of the opportunity cost of the money.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:41 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Starting to wonder if signing Mixon to all that $ was a wise move....starting to like the thunder and lightening combo of Gio and Perine

I really like Mixon but I think signing RB to big contracts is a big mistake. We should put that money towards a FA Off Lineman or Defensive lineman. To be a consistently winning team you need to control the line of scrimmage more times than not. That is why Steelers are usually winning, It is also why they have been losing as of late.

Would love to possible use Mixon and or Atkins as part of a package to trade up higher into the first round with our second round pick.

Good news is Carolina is winning  13-0 and Eagles are winning 14-3. If that keeps up we will be picking 5th.
Reply/Quote
Also worth pointing out that the Texans came into the game with the 31st ranked run defense, allowing 150.5 yards at 5.0 YPC.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
It is always a bad idea. The data shows the injury risk increases on the second contract usually always outweigh production, that tends to flatten or regress, by the way.

I said it then and even mentioned how bad the McCafferey deal was because the injury risk that was bound to come with his touches. Any HB that succeeds on a second contract is an outlier not the rule. McCafferey could atleast move to a slot WR at some point if he can’t handle carrying the load.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:01 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Also worth pointing out that the Texans came into the game with the 31st ranked run defense, allowing 150.5 yards at 5.0 YPC.

So what? I didn't see where you pointed out us running on one of the best Dlines last Monday night.....
Reply/Quote
Given he played 6 games I'd say evidence points to no. Could have signed him for less after the season.
Reply/Quote
Hard to argue that it was.

Reply/Quote
mixon was a waste of cash, we knew it before he signed. 3.1 yards per carry
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:53 PM)QueenCity Wrote: When is the best cap friendly opportunity the Bengals can use to get out of Mixon contract?

Not that I expect they will... once you are drafted a Bengals you usually stay for 90% of your career lol

According to Spotrac he has no guaranteed money, so you could cut him at any time without having dead cap. That can't be right can it?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/contracts/

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:53 PM)QueenCity Wrote: When is the best cap friendly opportunity the Bengals can use to get out of Mixon contract?

After new season there's a buyout clause. 

As to the OP: Seems like money not well spent to date. Hopefully it changes next year. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:48 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: According to Spotrac he has no guaranteed money, so you could cut him at any time without having dead cap. That can't be right can it?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/contracts/

Pretty sure he's like $16 Mil in deadcap next year 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Injury doesnt change the fact Joe Mixon is a playmaker and you sign playmakers doesnt matter that position.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:46 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: mixon was a waste of cash, we knew it before he signed. 3.1 yards per carry

Wrong. He was at 3.6 for the season, and 4.1 on his career.

Reply/Quote