Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signing Mixon a good move?
Funny thing is, if he was out there today we’d all be saying he was worth the money
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:58 PM)Synric Wrote: Injury doesnt change the fact Joe Mixon is a playmaker and you sign playmakers doesnt matter that position.

The immeasurable is attitude which cannot be gauged by stats.

Mixon is one of the fiery players this team needs going forward.

I'm sorry but as a fan I'd like to see what he can do if this team sets the ship right.

He is the one exception where theoretical money spent elsewhere is not enough for me to give up on Joe just yet.

When the heart rules the mind I guess.  
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
no question..I love Mixons attitude...he brings an excitement to the team like no one else...but doesn't do much good when he isnt able to get on field
Reply/Quote
Im not football expert, but I'd love to see Mixon run behind the OL we have right now.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:10 PM)sandwedge Wrote: So what? I didn't see where you pointed out us running on one of the best Dlines last Monday night.....

You mean when *Finley* was running on them?

Bengals RBs last week: 105 yards (3.3 YPC)
Steelers Run Defense: 104.6 yards (4.2 YPC)

That's not good.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I wasn't a fan of the extension just because I'm not a fan of giving RB's big money in any situation. Each team talks themselves into our contract being the one that will be the exception, not the rule, but it just never generally works out. Heck, even the McCaffery deal, which was for a guy who is legitimate in all parts of the game looks even worse because of Mike Davis doing a major portion of what CMC did.

I think the belief was always that we would be a more passing oriented team with Burrow and Mixon didn't fit that. If he gets more involved in the passing game, great, but until he does he'll never be worth that contract. It doesn't help that he's been injured.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 08:16 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Im not football expert, but I'd love to see Mixon run behind the OL we have right now.

The line isn’t good. Quit falling for late season shenanigans
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:00 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I really like Mixon but I think signing RB to big contracts is a big mistake. We should put that money towards a FA Off Lineman or Defensive lineman. To be a consistently winning team you need to control the line of scrimmage more times than not. That is why Steelers are usually winning, It is also why they have been losing as of late.

Would love to possible use Mixon and or Atkins as part of a package to trade up higher into the first round with our second round pick.

Good news is Carolina is winning  13-0 and Eagles are winning 14-3. If that keeps up we will be picking 5th.

With the dead money attached to Mixon's contract for next year he will not be traded. Get healthy soon Mr Mixon!
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:48 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: According to Spotrac he has no guaranteed money, so you could cut him at any time without having dead cap. That can't be right can it?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/contracts/

Then I'd say it a good signing if he gets back above 4 ypa. If he doesn't, we can trade him or cut bait.

But I like having three decent backs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 08:10 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The immeasurable is attitude which cannot be gauged by stats.

I'm sorry but as a fan I'd like to see what he can do if this team sets the ship right.

He is the one exception where theoretical money spent elsewhere is not enough for me to give up on Joe just yet.

Exactly!
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 08:37 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: The line isn’t good. Quit falling for late season shenanigans

The line has been doing it's job the last 2 games. Not sure what you're belly aching about....
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 08:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You mean when *Finley* was running on them?

Bengals RBs last week: 105 yards (3.3 YPC)
Steelers Run Defense: 104.6 yards (4.2 YPC)

That's not good.

It must have been good enough, we won!
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 08:10 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The immeasurable is attitude which cannot be gauged by stats.

I did love his video he put out after the Steelers game. He was trolling their fans outside PBS.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 09:47 PM)sandwedge Wrote: It must have been good enough, we won!

Except this isn't a thread about QB runs, or winning. This is a thread specifically about RBs. 

Using your logic, then the Bengals should trade Joe Burrow in the offseason and just start Finley full time. After all, who cares about statistics/facts/performance. We won!

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 09:45 PM)sandwedge Wrote: The line has been doing it's job the last 2 games. Not sure what you're belly aching about....

Against the Steelers Finley only attempted 13 passes but was sacked twice and knocked down SIX TIMES.

That was the worst pass protection in the entire league.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I've always preached that unless your RB is Barry Sanders-ish, never sign them to a big deal. If you have a terrible OL, they likely won't be worth it. If you have a good OL, it's too easy to find good cheap production at RB.

EDIT: If you're going to throw it 40+ times a game, it's even less of a good idea to pay big money to a RB.

unless they are great at pass pro... like gio  lol

Seems like we have a Run blocking OL right now with a pass happy coach.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:45 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Nope, not a good move.  Paying a running back big money to run behind a bottom 3 line is a recipe for failure.

:andy:
Reply/Quote
Mixon didn't have a big cap hit this year ($4.3 mill), but his cap hit goes to $8 mill next year, $11.5 mill the year after, and then even further increasing for 2022 and 2023.

The Bengals cannot pay that much for a RB unless that RB is consistently putting up 1300+ yards every season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:45 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Nope, not a good move.  Paying a running back big money to run behind a bottom 3 line is a recipe for failure.

i think part of the reason he was signed was due to his success running behind such a poor line
Reply/Quote
I like Joe Mixon, I don't like paying running-backs. That money would have been better spent on building the O-line.

I also don't like drafting them so high. The Bengals have frittered away so many high picks in recent years at the position - from Gio, to Jeremy Hill, Mixon and even a 4th round pick on Walton. You'd be much better off looking for players like Perine on the waiver wire and giving them a good line to run behind.
Reply/Quote