Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signs that Next Year will see more talent depart
Hobspin posts a second mock draft http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Mock-9-features-sound-prospects/e5532e73-7e64-4dbc-8313-2ad3a5204bdf and in this one Hobspin has the Bengals taking TE O.J. Howard with the #9 pick.

What's most interesting is that in the previous mock Hobspin had the Bengals taking DE Derek Barnett, considered one of the top pass rushers in the draft.

In this new mock draft Barnett is still available at 9 but Hobspin has the Bengals taking TE instead.

So, my question is, what does this say about the Bengals intentions on keeping Eifert?

Draft this year to replace the star they're going to say goodbye to next year. While I have no problem with the Bengals drafting with the idea of replacing players, but lately their replacement picks haven't been nearly as good as the guys they are slated to replace. This is the first mock I've seen where OJ Howard is a top ten pick and, in fact, one can find a number of mocks with Howard going in the bottom third of the 1st round.

This is not drafting the BPA in the early rounds, but is drafting by position more to gain leverage in negotiations than for talent. The odd part is that it really doesn't give the team much leverage because other teams are going to pay the value they perceive the player is worth and the Bengals are simply removing themselves from the talks. They could have signed Zeitler last year to $9M per year and had him for the next 5 years at that price. Instead they low balled him last year and when he said no they drafted Westerman and didn't bother to offer Zeitler a deal this year.

We'll also be drafting a RB this year, so say goodbye to Hill.

Of course, we'll extend Bodine at a below market price. Just wait and see.

The result is an organization that is circling the drain.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Please don't use the 1st pick on a TE. I realize Eifert is always hurt, and might leave next year, but we have way bigger needs. I'm fine with seeing more of Uzomah. He's got potential, imo.

Reply/Quote
Not trying to start anything cause there is no proof that I can find anywhere but some knucklehead on NFL .coms comment section is talking about Eifert being on the trading block. Like I said I couldn't find anything at all. As for OJ Howard, I would be happy with him in the first if we trade back. Just posted in the mock draft section today a draft I did with this scenario. Would be awesome to have him and Eifert both on the field and insurance for when Eifert is hurt. Who knows maybe there is more to his injuries than their telling us. I would rather have a big body TE that can run routes like a WR and block as good as anyone on our line now than M.William or a speedy rec that Dalton will underthrow.
Reply/Quote
I don't want him at #9. And still don't think TE is a big need for us right now.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
When they take him they will tout how he is a "complete TE" who can catch the ball but also... wait for it.... block!

They'll use last year as an excuse to warrant picking a guy who will primarily be an extra blocker on most plays he is in on.

I'll be upset if we go with this guy to say the least.
Reply/Quote
Which would piss you guys off more. A-another CB that might start in 3 years B- another G after we let our last 1st RD G walk C-another Tackle. I think a play making TE should be an option but again only if we trade back cause guys like Thomas, Foster and even Barnett are gone. I don't see all three of them gone by 9 but ya never know. Or stay put if their gone and take Fournette.
Reply/Quote
Eifert can't stay healthy I wouldn't be mad if we got OJ Howard. Not my first choice by any means but I wouldn't hate it.
Reply/Quote
If they let Eifert leave it will be a disaster. We FINALLY have a TE who is a real redbone receiving threat. None of the other TEs are anything like the same - Kroft is hurt too much and Uzomah has stone hands.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 04:20 AM)Joelist Wrote: If they let Eifert leave it will be a disaster. We FINALLY have a TE who is a real redbone receiving threat. None of the other TEs are anything like the same - Kroft is hurt too much and Uzomah has stone hands.

He dropped like 2 passes all season. 

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 01:23 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Hobspin posts a second mock draft http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Mock-9-features-sound-prospects/e5532e73-7e64-4dbc-8313-2ad3a5204bdf and in this one Hobspin has the Bengals taking TE O.J. Howard with the #9 pick.

What's most interesting is that in the previous mock Hobspin had the Bengals taking DE Derek Barnett, considered one of the top pass rushers in the draft.

In this new mock draft Barnett is still available at 9 but Hobspin has the Bengals taking TE instead.

So, my question is, what does this say about the Bengals intentions on keeping Eifert?

Draft this year to replace the star they're going to say goodbye to next year. While I have no problem with the Bengals drafting with the idea of replacing players, but lately their replacement picks haven't been nearly as good as the guys they are slated to replace. This is the first mock I've seen where OJ Howard is a top ten pick and, in fact, one can find a number of mocks with Howard going in the bottom third of the 1st round.

This is not drafting the BPA in the early rounds, but is drafting by position more to gain leverage in negotiations than for talent. The odd part is that it really doesn't give the team much leverage because other teams are going to pay the value they perceive the player is worth and the Bengals are simply removing themselves from the talks. They could have signed Zeitler last year to $9M per year and had him for the next 5 years at that price. Instead they low balled him last year and when he said no they drafted Westerman and didn't bother to offer Zeitler a deal this year.

Distractionary tactics.  There are going to be some team, perhaps the Colts or Eagles, that Howard is a perfect fit for their pick.  I don't see the Bengals selecting him, although he is the best TE prospect I have seen, perhaps ever.  

Our offense doesn't use the TE in multiple sets and he would not get the utilization he would here.  Baltimore is another likely landing spot for him. 

I think the Bengals are playing a little "we want him, what is he worth to you".  I hope it works.  
Reply/Quote
What do you expect from a rebuild? Eifert will walk next year. So plan for the future.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 01:23 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Hobspin posts a second mock draft http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Mock-9-features-sound-prospects/e5532e73-7e64-4dbc-8313-2ad3a5204bdf and in this one Hobspin has the Bengals taking TE O.J. Howard with the #9 pick.

Hobspin is Mike Brown's mouthpiece.  And if they draft a TE at #9 they will let Eifert walk to save themselves from an expensive contract.  Rookie contracts are cheaper, so it seems Brown may be setting the team up to turn over players in 4 - 5 years after they become expensive.
Reply/Quote
Well the cbs sportsline latest rankings have him as the 7th ranked prospect. Barnett at 8th. I would prefer a tight end later.
Reply/Quote
We have to fix our OL first. This should be top priority. Yet since they are convinced there's nothing wrong with it, anything can happen.

Reply/Quote
If we take a TE at 9 I will put my fist through the wall. We have way more, desperate needs. I'm already assuming Marvin no longer cares and that will all but confirm it
Reply/Quote
I'd much rather go DE or LB in the first, and grab Hikutini in the 3rd or 4th rd for a TE....
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 09:58 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: If we take a TE at 9 I will put my fist through the wall. We have way more, desperate needs. I'm already assuming Marvin no longer cares and that will all but confirm it

I agree. After this season and last, how can you even perceive they are interested in winning? It's all about saving money and comp pics to later develop great talent and give it away. We are not a contending NFL team. We are more like the basic training of the NFL. We get you, train you and disperse you. We are not here to win, we are here to train you to win later.

Reply/Quote
Ohio State safety Malik Hooker should be taken by Cincinnati at #9. Shoring up the secondary helps the entire defense and holding opposing offenses to as few points as possible should be the Bengals' priority -- because the Cincinnati offense isn't going to score jack squat.
Reply/Quote
OJ is a strong prospect, the best TE in the class. We can't really trust Eifert to stay healthy (and we don't value the TE position so we won't match the huge contract Cle would offer him).

Only issue is it's a deep TE class (and I expect us to get one), so we can get a good prospect later.

Interesting we passed on Adams. I prefer Hooker (we need a ball hawk, not another ss type). But if we're going best player available. I wonder where Hobs thinks the Bengals have him rated.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Remember, Eifert himself was taken in the 1st round when we already had a reliable TE in place. I tried to tell everyone back then that the Bengals had drafted Gresham's replacement, but nobody wanted to hear it. Everyone was buying into Hob's BS about becoming a 2 TE team ala the Patriots. We were a 2 TE team...for 1 year. Then as soon as Gresh's contract was up, he was out and the Bengals already had their in-house replacement.

So no, it wouldn't shock me at all if they take Howard. It had already crossed my mind actually. I'm sure fans would be unhappy that we wouldn't be filling an immediate need, but in Mike's mind, he'd rather have a cheap TE than a more expensive one with injury issues. Taking Howard wouldn't really make an impact on 2017, but I don't think Mike would care.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote