Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sikh U.S. Army captain allowed to wear beard, turban in uniform
(04-04-2016, 11:52 AM)michaelsean Wrote: My point is you will be dumping tens of thousands of kids in the public school system with no increase in revenue.

Ok, I can get that. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-04-2016, 11:37 AM)GMDino Wrote: Never?  Ever?

Congrats...you found a four leaf clover at the end of a rainbow over a unicorn.

I've had priests telling the congregation which party to vote for if they were "true" Christians.  And that's mild.

All I can tell you is our Dioceses makes the local parishes borrow money from them, and pay it back with interest, to do repairs and improvements.  Even if the parish is in the black.  I sat on the church board when it happened.  Part of the reason I do not sit on the church board anymore.

And this is in one of the poorest areas of SW PA.

I also sit on the school board for our local catholic elementary school.  They clear a profit every year.  It is not huge, but it is a profit.  It would be slightly bigger but the dioceses bills them for "services" that it provides.

That's what it is listed as "services".  

Here is their report.  Please not they do not call it a "profit".

http://www.dioceseofgreensburg.org/about/Pages/annualreport.aspx

One of their big schemes is they have a special pledge drive and if your parish can reach the goal set by the diocese then the church gets to keep the amount collected over and above the goal.

Seriously.

As to Catholic school I must be missing your point as we had out two in them while we were also paying school taxes.  Not that I complained, but what difference would it make if more kids went to public school when politicians are already salivating to cut funds and close schools?

I have to chuckle at this, as I have two cousins (once removed) that go to Geibel. They aren't Catholic, but they go because they have been given vouchers because the Connellsville schools lost accreditation or something and so the public school system had to over them. So seeing something about that diocese pop up it just rather coincidental.

The sad part about this is that even with the help of the vouchers it is still ridiculously expensive for my cousin's family and they are dirt freakin' poor.
(04-04-2016, 12:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have to chuckle at this, as I have two cousins (once removed) that go to Geibel. They aren't Catholic, but they go because they have been given vouchers because the Connellsville schools lost accreditation or something and so the public school system had to over them. So seeing something about that diocese pop up it just rather coincidental.

The sad part about this is that even with the help of the vouchers it is still ridiculously expensive for my cousin's family and they are dirt freakin' poor.

That is where I graduated from...a long time ago.  Smirk

But yeah, even with the help from the fund raising and all the other things it is amazing to me that it remains open.  And even with that it is a shell of its former self with the elementary school taking up 1/3 of the building for the last three years.

The public school didn't meet the testing requirements for a couple years in a row so they have to allow students to go where they want.  

The public school is not in much better state...believe me.  But I have one graduating and one just starting high school so I am hoping for the best!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-04-2016, 12:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: That is where I graduated from...a long time ago.  Smirk

But yeah, even with the help from the fund raising and all the other things it is amazing to me that it remains open.  And even with that it is a shell of its former self with the elementary school taking up 1/3 of the building for the last three years.

The public school didn't meet the testing requirements for a couple years in a row so they have to allow students to go where they want.  

The public school is not in much better state...believe me.  But I have one graduating and one just starting high school so I am hoping for the best!

Yeah, one of the two is 17 now, I think, and the other will probably just be starting high school soon. My dad graduated from Connellsville, that would have been 1966 or 1967.
(04-04-2016, 11:49 AM)michaelsean Wrote: A lot of people without much money find a way to send their kids to Catholic school,

Seriously?

The people who can afford private school tuition are the "needy" that charity is supposed to help?

I'll remember this the next time I see a post about how a person who owns a $400 big screen TV should not receive government assistance.  Instead we need to be giving a multi billion dollar industry a tax break because of all the "truly needy" people who can afford $10K a year for private school tuition.

Rolleyes
(04-04-2016, 12:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Seriously?

The people who can afford private school tuition are the "needy" that charity is supposed to help?

I'll remember this the next time I see a post about how a person who owns a $400 big screen TV should not receive government assistance.  Instead we need to be giving a multi billion dollar industry a tax break because of all the "truly needy" people who can afford $10K a year for private school tuition.

Rolleyes

Lots of them. Do you just think it's not true?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-04-2016, 01:43 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Lots of them.   Do you just think it's not true?  

Yes.  

I absolutely believe that it is not true that people who can afford private school tuition are the "needy" who deserve charity.
(04-04-2016, 01:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes.  

I absolutely believe that it is not true that people who can afford private school tuition are the "needy" who deserve charity.

You keep saying they can afford it.  Many can't and are subsidized by the church.  Kids will do cafeteria work and such to have their tuition reduced as well.  They also don't buy iphones and big screen TVs.  Your denial that poor people attend Catholic school is just made up.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-04-2016, 01:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes.  

The two children I mentioned that attend Geibel, a private Catholic school in the diocese mentioned earlier, come from a home with two children and an income around $30k, if that. They also have another kid, an adult, who makes some piss poor decision and has one kid with a second on the way and is divorced. So they are supporting that one as well.

Yeah, these situations exist. Not saying they are the norm, but they are out there.
(04-04-2016, 11:40 AM)GMDino Wrote: And yes, this goes beyond the Catholic church to these "churches" like Joel whateverhisnameis or any of the prosperity preachers.

Like I said, each church has its own exemption so if there are churches that don't deserve it, by all means pull it.

(04-04-2016, 01:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The two children I mentioned that attend Geibel, a private Catholic school in the diocese mentioned earlier, come from a home with two children and an income around $30k, if that. They also have another kid, an adult, who makes some piss poor decision and has one kid with a second on the way and is divorced. So they are supporting that one as well.

Yeah, these situations exist. Not saying they are the norm, but they are out there.

But they are going on the tax payer's dime (voucher).

Michaelsean is talking about saving taxpayer money.  Just shifting the taxpayers money from public schools to private schools doesn't help.
(04-04-2016, 02:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But they are going on the tax payer's dime (voucher).

Michaelsean is talking about saving taxpayer money.  Just shifting the taxpayers money from public schools to private schools doesn't help.

Well unload the 40,000+ Catholic school kids in the Cincinnati diocese into the public schools and see what happens. And that's just the Catholic schools.

Simple Definition of uniform

: not varying or changing : staying the same at all times, in all places, or for all parts or members

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/uniform

Stupid decision. Opening up the floodgates for a lot of bullshit.
(04-04-2016, 03:27 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Simple Definition of uniform

:  not varying or changing : staying the same at all times, in all places, or for all parts or members

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/uniform

Stupid decision. Opening up the floodgates for a lot of bullshit.

The moment it comes out that a male solider wants to wear the female uniform, these servers will burn the **** down.
(04-04-2016, 02:42 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well unload the 40,000+ Catholic school kids in the Cincinnati diocese into the public schools and see what happens. And that's just the Catholic schools.

You won't unload them.  People will still send their kids to private schools even if churches were forced to pay taxes.

There is not a single person who pays that tuition because they want to help public schools.  Stop puffing about how you are doing this for the benefit of others.
(04-04-2016, 03:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You won't unload them.  People will still send their kids to private schools even if churches were forced to pay taxes.

There is not a single person who pays that tuition because they want to help public schools.  Stop puffing about how you are doing this for the benefit of others.

What the hell are you talking about?  We are talking about whether they save money, and I said unload 40,000 kids into the system here and see what happens.  Please point out where I said or implied I send my kids to Catholic schools in order to save taxpayers money. What is it you like to say? "I'll wait."

(04-04-2016, 03:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: What the hell are you talking about?  We are talking about whether they save money, and I said unload 40,000 kids into the system here and see what happens.  Please point out where I said or implied I send my kids to Catholic schools in order to save taxpayers money.  What is it you like to say?  "I'll wait."

So catholic schools aside, are you for taxing churches?  Because there are a lot with significant income streams.
(04-04-2016, 03:49 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: So catholic schools aside, are you for taxing churches?  Because there are a lot with significant income streams.

If you show me where a church violates the rules of the non-profits then sure.  But peopel can't just single them out because it bugs them.  Nobody at my parish is getting rich.  There is no slush fund. All the employees pay income tax.  

(04-04-2016, 03:55 PM)michaelsean Wrote: If you show me where a church violates the rules of the non-profits then sure.  But peopel can't just single them out because it bugs them.  Nobody at my parish is getting rich.  There is no slush fund. All the employees pay income tax.  

By no means am I insinuating that you or anyone at your specific church is getting rich.  But there are instances across the country, where people involved in the church are getting rich.  Texas christian megachurches don't just raise themselves like a scene out of the witness.
How the hell did this thread become about Catholic Schools?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]