Poll: Both Sewell and Chase are Available in Rd 5, Who Do You Pick?
Sewell
Chase
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason
(03-20-2021, 07:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sewell, because the way to build a strong football team is from the inside out.  Meaning OL and DL take priority over anything else.

Yes sir, plus Jonah has been injured a bit throughout his career and Reiff is only here on a one year deal at the moment.

Sewell, Pitts then Chase in that order in my opinion. We need a game changing TD scoring TE like most of the best teams do.

I love Chase too, think he is the best WR in this class for us cause he also has chemistry with Burrow...

but if Sewell is there, you take him.
Reply/Quote
Sewell
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Can be Pitts be an option? Because that's my choice, and here's why...

As good of a prospect Sewell is projected to be, he's only 20 years old, and he hasn't played in a year. He also only started one full season in college. One. (He missed half of his Freshman year)

I think it's a bit naive to think that he's going to be able to come in immediately and be a great OL. A very young kid, with limited college experience, who played in the weakest of the Power 5 conferences, who now has a year of rust, and who plays a position that generally takes some time to adjust to at the Pro Level... I think the best case scenario for him year 1 is to be around average. There's a good chance he struggles a bit.

Look at Jonah Williams. He played 3 years in college (vs. 2), started 40 games (vs. 20), played in the toughest conference in college football where he went against tons of NFL talent, and he had a full year in the NFL of film, study, training and workouts before he finally started. And guess what? He was pretty average out of the gate.

I know Sewell projects to be better, but again I think it may naive to think he's going to immediately be this huge upgrade to OL. I realize there's a long-term factor I've thus ignored, but I'm just talking about immediate help.

Chase... Would love to have him. But we've already got two decent receivers and Higgins (and Chad Johnson, and so many other NFL WR's) prove you can get studs in the 2nd and on. Plus he presents the problem of who the hell you're going to choose to pay when his, Higgins and Boyd's contract all come up in the next few years. (You probably won't be able to keep them all)

Which brings me to Pitts... Pitts is a once in a decade Tight End talent. He's not simply the best tight end in this draft, he's one of the most athletic tight ends to ever enter. He essentially a WR in a Tight End's body. He can line out wide, he's a matchup nightmare, and he's extremely versatile.

Tight End is a position that, despite trying to hit on with Gresham and Eifert, we've never really had an elite one (Save one season for Eifert where he still missed time. We've never had a stud there that we can count on. And with the way the game has been going these last 15 years, I think it's something we've been sorely lacking.

So for all of these reason I go with Pitts. Skill players can transition a bit easier than OL, and he's equally as freakish to Tight Ends as Sewell is OL, maybe even moreso. He'd be a great target in the Red Zone and would provide this offense such a unique weapon that we could build off of for the next 5 years.

I'd stick with Williams and Reiff at the Tackles for this year, and try to address the position against next season. Or I hope that we could maybe find a diamond in the rough OT in the middle rounds this year. If not, hit FA next year or use a higher pick to fill the spot Reiff leaves. As far as Guard, sign two cheaper vets this season (Spain and Turner??), and invest a 2nd or 3rd round pick in another.

Just my 2 cents... as always, sorry if this is too long or was boring.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 07:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sewell

PROTECT BURROW

What he said. 
Reply/Quote
Sewell.

As I said before, you are making a pass if you are on your a**. If Burrow is good, he will put the ball into receivers hands. Having 4 of them is great, but doesn't matter if they get separation but the QB has a lineman in his face. Good O-line men protect, but also can run block, which sets up the passing game. If your rushing sucks, the defense plays the pass, since that's all you got. Good O-lines tend to lead to good offenses.

This teams issues were not because their receivers were bad. Not saying more targets are bad, but no where near top priority.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 08:53 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Sewell even though I’m not super excited about taking a guy in the top 5 who didn’t even play football last year.

You could’ve added more options like Devonte, Pitts, and a trade down. I’d go trade down every time.

Like Brad said. I think Burrow is going to make average receivers look good. Just make sure they can catch.

Having said that. We lost a franchise great WR AJ and a first round pick WR Ross whose rookie contract expired, and a solid veteran depth piece WR Erickson. I could easily see this team doing what they normally would do and drafting a WR. But things have been different the last couple years. So maybe my argument for Sewell would be how many Super Bowls have we won drafting the fancy big time WRs in the top 10?

Drafting a WR isn't what they'd normally do.  They'd normally draft OL.  They've drafted 6 OL in the first round this century.  They've drafted 2 WR's in the 1st in that same span.  
Reply/Quote
Sewell vs Pitts is the tougher choice depending on the rest of FA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote

PROTECT BURROW

Good PostDingDingPitt Sux
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 07:42 PM)GodFather Wrote: First round pick 5, Bengals have both Sewell and Chase available, Mike Brown looks at you and says your decision and why? Then Bengals pull the trigger on your selection from these two.

I take Sewell because they didn't address OG in FA yet and there's not really anyone out there that excites me as a full time starter. Also, you can take Sewell and still (more than likely) get a guy like Bateman in the 2nd. The Bengals have had a lot of really good luck with 2nd rd WRs in their history. 

I'm almost tempted right now to trade back a couple/few spots and still get Slater and pick up an extra 2nd rd pick+, where they can still get another OG like Radunz (prolly less likely right now) or Newman, if the pick is later in the round. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 09:13 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Can be Pitts be an option?  Because that's my choice, and here's why...

As good of a prospect Sewell is projected to be, he's only 20 years old, and he hasn't played in a year.  He also only started one full season in college.  One.  (He missed half of his Freshman year)

I think it's a bit naive to think that he's going to be able to come in immediately and be a great OL.  A very young kid, with limited college experience, who played in the weakest of the Power 5 conferences, who now has a year of rust, and who plays a position that generally takes some time to adjust to at the Pro Level... I think the best case scenario for him year 1 is to be around average.  There's a good chance he struggles a bit.

Look at Jonah Williams.  He played 3 years in college (vs. 2), started 40 games (vs. 20), played in the toughest conference in college football where he went against tons of NFL talent, and he had a full year in the NFL of film, study, training and workouts before he finally started.  And guess what?  He was pretty average out of the gate.

I know Sewell projects to be better, but again I think it may naive to think he's going to immediately be this huge upgrade to OL.  I realize there's a long-term factor I've thus ignored, but I'm just talking about immediate help.

Chase... Would love to have him.  But we've already got two decent receivers and Higgins (and Chad Johnson, and so many other NFL WR's) prove you can get studs in the 2nd and on.  Plus he presents the problem of who the hell you're going to choose to pay when his, Higgins and Boyd's contract all come up in the next few years.  (You probably won't be able to keep them all)

Which brings me to Pitts... Pitts is a once in a decade Tight End talent.  He's not simply the best tight end in this draft, he's one of the most athletic tight ends to ever enter.  He essentially a WR in a Tight End's body.  He can line out wide, he's a matchup nightmare, and he's extremely versatile.

Tight End is a position that, despite trying to hit on with Gresham and Eifert, we've never really had an elite one (Save one season for Eifert where he still missed time.  We've never had a stud there that we can count on.  And with the way the game has been going these last 15 years, I think it's something we've been sorely lacking.

So for all of these reason I go with Pitts.  Skill players can transition a bit easier than OL, and he's equally as freakish to Tight Ends as Sewell is OL, maybe even moreso.  He'd be a great target in the Red Zone and would provide this offense such a unique weapon that we could build off of for the next 5 years.

I'd stick with Williams and Reiff at the Tackles for this year, and try to address the position against next season.  Or I hope that we could maybe find a diamond in the rough OT in the middle rounds this year.  If not, hit FA next year or use a higher pick to fill the spot Reiff leaves.  As far as Guard, sign two cheaper vets this season (Spain and Turner??), and invest a 2nd or 3rd round pick in another.

Just my 2 cents... as always, sorry if this is too long or was boring.

How's his blocking? Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 09:16 PM)Whatever Wrote: Drafting a WR isn't what they'd normally do.  They'd normally draft OL.  They've drafted 6 OL in the first round this century.  They've drafted 2 WR's in the 1st in that same span.  

2 top 5 picks on WRs in the last 20 years. 0 top 5 picks on OL since Munoz
Reply/Quote
I chose Sewell because we have a QB coming off a terrible injury directly caused by our Oline's incompetence in 2020. To this point, we have released Hart and signed Reiff, but otherwise nothing has changed along the Oline. We still have a lot of uncertainty along the Oline, with a center coming off an injury (or not being ready in which case we have a 1st round bust lined up to start) and two guard spots that aren't really locked in place. One guard spot is literally vacant and the other is manned by XSF who is maybe average, but we don't really know because he was injured for so much of 2020.

Drafting Sewell really helps with that uncertainty. Reiff can move to RG and Sewell can play RT, Williams can move to RT and Sewell can play LT, or Sewell can play guard. He is a versatile player at our weakest position.

We could wait until the 2nd round to draft an OT and probably come away with a fine player, but you could say the same about WR, as both classes are deep this year. The thing about the 2nd round is 32 teams passed on that player at least once, so the odds that they're a day 1 starter is lower. It isn't eliminated obviously, as 2nd rounders start on day 1 very often. But if the draft doesn't fall perfectly and all the tackles get picked right before your pick (like in 2019 when McGary, Taylor, Little, Ford and Risner all going in the 10 picks ahead of our selection in the 2nd round) leaving you with a huge need and your hat in your hand. This may lead you to reaching for a non-starter ready Olineman, or you could try your luck in third round. Obviously, the prospect level drops with each round so are you getting a starter in the 3rd round? Even less likely.

Now, the key to why I use this argument for OL and not WR (which could happen as well if we took Sewell) is if you draft a WR in the 2nd round hoping he can start on day 1 and he is ineffective...well that sucks but that generally won't risk injury to your QB. The WR will just be out there running ineffective routes and not be thrown to, but his failure to get open doesn't directly cause an injury to your QB. However, with an OL it could. Look at what putting Michael Johnson at LG when he was not ready did to Joe's knee.

So we have one position that, if the player is ineffective it just hurts your offense, and another position that, if the player is ineffective it literally puts your prized QB in danger.

Not to mention, Reiff is 33 and is on a 1 year contract, so we'll likely need a new starter in 2022 anyway. We at least have two great WRs signed long term. Can't say that about OTs.

I think the choice is clear.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 08:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: Name an average receiver Joe Burrow has made look good.

When he broke college records, he was throwing to a guy who was an All Pro as a rookie and a guy we're discussing taking #5 overall.  

Did he make AJ look good last year?  Tate?  Thomas?  Erickson?

It's cool to want Sewell, but Burrow didn't make lesser receivers better in college and he didn't do it as a rookie, either.  You put great weapons around him and he'll destroy teams and make it look easy, but he has shown no ability to make guys look better than they really are to this point in his career.

His anticipation and accuracy make him able to make average WRs look good. Mike Thomas is pretty average. He didn't catch a pass from any Bengals QB not named Burrow last year, nor did he do much at all with LA; 10 catches for 144 yds and 0 tds in 13 games over 3 years.

With Burrow, in 7 games, he went 13 catches for 132 yards and 1 td. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Pick: Sewell

Reason: I'm not stupid
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Easy decision since Sewell is the best tackle and Chase is not the best WR in my opinion in draft.. plus we need to give Burrow time to see if he is the franchise Qb we hope he is...
Reply/Quote
People forget yes the oline was very inconsistant last year, very shakey. But let's not forget the Bengals had the worst oline
Coach in the entire league and Burrow being a rookie
Did hold on to ball as rookie starters typically do.
Oh BTW Reiff can block on a island.
All these questions about asking if Kyle Pitts can block.
He is A average above blocker.
Pitts will be drafted on.his ability to wreck defenses on
His pass catching, not blocking.
Drew Sample was declared to be a great pass blocker
Coming out of Washington.
How has that impacted the Bengals offense in 2 years?
I havent seen it.
Reply/Quote

PROTECT BURROW

^^^^^^^^^

What he said...

I'd be happy with Chase if Sewell is gone though. I don't see Miami passing on Sewell though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 09:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: His anticipation and accuracy make him able to make average WRs look good. Mike Thomas is pretty average. He didn't catch a pass from any Bengals QB not named Burrow last year, nor did he do much at all with LA; 10 catches for 144 yds and 0 tds in 13 games over 3 years.

With Burrow in 9 games. He didn't show up on the stat sheet but played against Tennessee, and Burrow was 0-2 passing to him against Pittsburgh. (He was inactive against Washington.) You can't just shave off his final 2 games with Burrow he played in but got 0 catches just to make horrible stats only look really bad.

We're calling 1.44 catches/14.67 yards/0.11tds per game "look good" now?

That's roughly a 23/235/2 season.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Sewell. Protect Burrow. Reiff is 32 and on a one year deal. That isn’t a fix for the line, it is a bandaid.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 09:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: His anticipation and accuracy make him able to make average WRs look good. Mike Thomas is pretty average. He didn't catch a pass from any Bengals QB not named Burrow last year, nor did he do much at all with LA; 10 catches for 144 yds and 0 tds in 13 games over 3 years.

With all due respect, Mike Thomas sucks ass.  The Bengals need to add a dependable, veteran WR, as well as draft a pair for development.  However, like you said, Joe is able to get the most of the talent around him, so they don't need to take a pass catcher at the top of the draft.  Plenty of role player WRs in the mid and late rounds.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote