Poll: Both Sewell and Chase are Available in Rd 5, Who Do You Pick?
Sewell
Chase
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason
(03-21-2021, 06:27 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Ummm... yes he actually is at the moment.

See the Bengals website and see the 4 and only 4 players on the roster who are Guards:

Hakeem Adeniji

Michael Jordan

Xavier Su'a-Filo

Keaton Sutherland

So, not sure what imaginary player you have at Guard on this team....

Price is at Center which is also terrifying since Hopkins is recovering from a week 17 injury.

The two place on the O-line you can be comfortable with, Jonah (if he stays healthy for the first season ever) and Reiff (who is only here for one year).

And all of that above, is why you take Sewell, Slater, or Darrisaw and still go O-line in round 2.
Right now there is no offical depth chart. But its safe to.say Michael Jordan will not be the game 1 stsrter at LG

Trai Turner and the Bengals have a mutual intrest.
Turner could be signed shortly and hes your LG.
XSF is the other starting OG.
I see the Bengals drafting 2-o lineman.

Dont.you find it curious the Bengals have not been
Linked to any FA TE visits?
I think Pitts is very high on their big board. 
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 05:40 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: And you know I'd take both of them in a heartbeat as well.

I feel like you and I were both big on Darrisaw, who we could trade down, get an extra 2nd and still be in position for Darrisaw or Slater.

Again... my stance remains, the smart teams trade, often. So, moving down getting a 2nd and getting Slater or Darrisaw is a huge win over taking any WR or Pitts at 5. And if Sewell is gone at 5, then one of the top 3 QBs should be on the board that teams will want to come get.

I like Christian Darrisaw as a prospect but trade back to take him in a heartbeat no. You are locked into one position group and that is exactly the wrong way to view the draft.

A trade back opens up the defensive line class for the Bengals. Jaelan Phillips, Gregory Rousseau, Azeez Ojulari, Kwity Paye, and Christian Barmore.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 03:59 PM)Whatever Wrote: Because we have had so much success drafting OL in the 1st over and over again.

How is it logic to dismiss a draft philosophy used unsuccessfully by other teams in order to strengthen your belief in a draft philosophy our team has used unsuccessfully for 20 years?

Done better with OL then we have with TE in round 1...

Andre Smith - Steady solid, not great but good career.

Kevin Zeitler - Damn good G, should have never let him leave.

Ced - Swing and a miss

Price - Horrible

Jonah - Looks promising if he stays healthy.

so, 3 out of 5 weren't wasted.

Meanwhile at TE...

Eifert - Everyone loves him, but he had one useful season. 1. 2015 hits 615 yards and 13 TDs no other season over 450 yards. That isn't first round production.

Gresham - Everyone's favorite whipping boy around here. Had 2 good seasons. 596 yards and 6 TDs and then 737 yards and 5 TDs. Never scored over 6 TDs and only broke 500 yards in 2 seasons. Again... that isn't 1st round production.

Over at WR

1 for 2.

Green - Absolute monster

John Ross - Absolute worst pick of the decade.

So, if we are so bad at O-line and can't draft them as you say, we better skip TE and WR too by your very own "logic"

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 06:41 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Right now there is no offical depth chart. But its safe to.say Michael Jordan will not be the game 1 stsrter at LG

Trai Turner and the Bengals have a mutual intrest.
Turner could be signed shortly and hes your LG.

XSF is the other starting OG.
I see the Bengals drafting 2-o lineman.

Dont.you find it curious the Bengals have not been
Linked to any FA TE visits?
I think Pitts is very high on their big board. 

They were linked to Thuney.

And Golladay

And signed neither. You can't pencil in a guy to start that isn't even on the roster. Right now, Jordan is the starter at G. 

I think they aren't looking at TE's because they are happy with Uzomah and Sample. I think they are crazy being content and should get the kid from Miami in round 4 for a TE... 

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 05:59 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: 1.) I don't understand how people think you can draft Chase or Pitts and then trot Jordan out there at G and think it will be all good.

2.) For Sewell at 6'6" and 331 pounds, you can stick him at G (like we did with Whitworth) and let him maul people for a season and just develop while keeping Burrow safe.

1.) It sure looks like you're either assuming what other people's plans are, or are just putting words in their mouths. 

Where has anyone said they want to start Michael Jordan again?  Is that what preferring Chase or Pitts automatically means, that by wanting that it means you want Michael Jordan to start?

I think most people still want to sign at least on more guard if not two (we have the space).  Not to mention you can draft one in the 2nd round or 3rd round in addition to the FA's.

2.) Pretty sure Whitworth actually started at Tackle his first year (Levi Jones was hurt).  Then they moved him to guard in year 2.

Regardless, if you're that high on Sewell you don't take him at #5 to play Guard.  He's starts as a Tackle immediately.  Move one of the other tackles inside.
Reply/Quote
Trade 5th pick to the Panthers for the 8th and a a third . Take next available lineman. Second round take Terence Marshall wr from LSU with the third round pick from the Panthers select Lb Moses from Alabama.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 06:15 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Here's a fun past for you.

Burrow had his season ended do to a shit O-line that has made only 1 change on it since last season and that change wasn't the player that led to him getting hurt.

So **** off with your let's draft Pitts and pray some 3rd round O-line guy can come in and suddenly improve everything. Meanwhile people who actually know football and get paid to break down games and film all look at Sewell and compare him to Munoz.... 

oh I forgot, he is old and irrelevant too....

Football has changed a lot over the years, but one thing has never changed. The teams with the best lines on offense and defense... win.

Why are you getting so angry about people who are possibly open to a different approach to the first pick than you?

I don't see people saying drafting Sewell, or Slater, or drafting down, etc. is the stupidest thing ever.  I can see disagreeing with an approach, or wanting to share the reasons for yours, but a lot of this  just seems so unecessary.

Starting Williams at LT and Reiff at RT, while wanting to fill out the G spots with some combination of FA's, XSF and a rookie in the 2nd or 3rd, is really not that different than what you're calling for.  And it's certainly not enough to act like this.  ("So **** offf..." " People who actually know football...")

Calm down, dude.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 07:07 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Why are you getting so angry 

Simple.

This is exactly what we did last season.

People can want the Bengals to do the right thing and expect them to be smart, but then we go through a draft and ignore the line completely (2020 draft)

If this team had the ability to develop players, find hidden gems in UDFA and late rounders to play at valuable positions dude I wouldn't care who they drafted.

We are talking about Duke Tobin, Zac Taylor and the Brown family. Expecting them to be smart and find value after taking Pitts or Chase is such a huge risk.

Sewell looks like a legit can't miss kind of guy on the line. I'd just like to see what Burrow can do when he isn't under siege. 

My honest expectations for the draft: We'll take Chase or Pitts in round 1. Round 2, will be an edge. Round 3 will be the opposite of 1, TE or WR.

And they'll hope Pollack can coach up a 4th rounder or fix Jordan. It's what the Bengals have done since the 90's.

For once, it'd be nice to take the blue chip guy at a position of need.

As I read a lot of replies on here, it gets frustrating because it's like half the posters forgot Burrow got his knee shredded and that Duke Tobin is doing the drafting with Taylor.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 06:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Anyone else find it rather curious that after not one, but two fan polls on the very same topic, the results are overwhelmingly in favor of the Bengals drafting Penei Sewell, yet we are still having this discussion?

Why is that??

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Chase-vs-Sewell?pid=1004644#pid1004644

Probably because the other poll was posted in February before FA began.  Sewell is an OT.  The Bengals signed Riley Reiff, who is a good OT, so it's reasonable to think some people may have changed their opinion based on recent events.  
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 06:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Anyone else find it rather curious that after not one, but two fan polls on the very same topic, the results are overwhelmingly in favor of the Bengals drafting Penei Sewell, yet we are still having this discussion?

Why is that??

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Chase-vs-Sewell?pid=1004644#pid1004644

Key word. 

The word your missing is "Google".
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 07:17 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Simple.

This is exactly what we did last season.

People can want the Bengals to do the right thing and expect them to be smart, but then we go through a draft and ignore the line completely (2020 draft)

If this team had the ability to develop players, find hidden gems in UDFA and late rounders to play at valuable positions dude I wouldn't care who they drafted.

We are talking about Duke Tobin, Zac Taylor and the Brown family. Expecting them to be smart and find value after taking Pitts or Chase is such a huge risk.

Sewell looks like a legit can't miss kind of guy on the line. I'd just like to see what Burrow can do when he isn't under siege. 

My honest expectations for the draft: We'll take Chase or Pitts in round 1. Round 2, will be an edge. Round 3 will be the opposite of 1, TE or WR.

And they'll hope Pollack can coach up a 4th rounder or fix Jordan. It's what the Bengals have done since the 90's.

For once, it'd be nice to take the blue chip guy at a position of need.

As I read a lot of replies on here, it gets frustrating because it's like half the posters forgot Burrow got his knee shredded and that Duke Tobin is doing the drafting with Taylor.
Lest not forget, Jim Turner was the oline coach the last
2 seasons. Tobin and Taylor put all their faith in Turner to 
Coach up these olineman.
What I saw last year was a oline that lacked technique
And aggression. I saw olinemen reacting...not imposing their will.

So far in the off season Tobin and Taylor have realized
They had to move on and reshape the oline
Turner out Pollack in.
Hart out, Reiff in. 
This front office has hit on.some picks after RD 1.
Bates, Hubbard to a extent.Brandon Wilson.Logan Wilson
Has promise. Darius Phillips. Tyler Boyd. 

I.doubt this front office takes a edge rusher RD 2
They just signed Hendrickson. 
I think its a OT OG or WR. 
Pitts can be the pick at 5 and impact this offense right away
Reply/Quote
If those are my only options then I go with Sewell. OTs are a lot harder to find in today's game then Wrs.
If it were up to me I trade the pick and would get multiple picks.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 06:49 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Done better with OL then we have with TE in round 1...

Andre Smith - Steady solid, not great but good career.

Kevin Zeitler - Damn good G, should have never let him leave.

Ced - Swing and a miss

Price - Horrible

Jonah - Looks promising if he stays healthy.

so, 3 out of 5 weren't wasted.

Meanwhile at TE...

Eifert - Everyone loves him, but he had one useful season. 1. 2015 hits 615 yards and 13 TDs no other season over 450 yards. That isn't first round production.

Gresham - Everyone's favorite whipping boy around here. Had 2 good seasons. 596 yards and 6 TDs and then 737 yards and 5 TDs. Never scored over 6 TDs and only broke 500 yards in 2 seasons. Again... that isn't 1st round production.

Over at WR

1 for 2.

Green - Absolute monster

John Ross - Absolute worst pick of the decade.

So, if we are so bad at O-line and can't draft them as you say, we better skip TE and WR too by your very own "logic"

Dude....stop....

Gresham was a 2 time Pro Bowler for us.  Eifert made the Pro Bowl for us.  Two first round picks spent on TE's.  Two Pro Bowl players.

AJ Green was a multi time Pro Bowler and All Pro.  Ross was a bust.  Two first round picks on WR's.  One All Pro player that was a franchise cornerstone.

Six first round picks spent on OL this century.  Zero Pro Bowlers.  Zero All Pro's.  Zero franchise cornerstones.  
Reply/Quote
Bengal 1st round lineman have been historically bad (except for Munoz),

The 1st round pick for WR have also been historically bad for the Bengals (except for AJ). But do Ross and Warrick ring a bell?

How about trading for multiple picks?

Let's draft some grunts after a trade.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 08:40 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Bengal 1st round lineman have been historically bad (except for Munoz),

The 1st round pick for WR have also been historically bad for the Bengals (except for AJ). But do Ross and Warrick ring a bell?

How about trading for multiple picks?

Let's draft some grunts after a trade.

Willie Anderson would like a word...

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 08:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Willie Anderson would like a word...

And Levi Jones. And Andre Smith. And Kevin Zeitler.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 08:46 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: And Levi Jones. And Andre Smith. And Kevin Zeitler.

Yep. I was just going with the most egregious omission though.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 07:22 PM)Whatever Wrote: Probably because the other poll was posted in February before FA began.  Sewell is an OT.  The Bengals signed Riley Reiff, who is a good OT, so it's reasonable to think some people may have changed their opinion based on recent events.  

I don't know man, but it seems pretty evident that they view Reiff as a one year stop-gap.  While Reiff should definitely be a nice step up from Bobby Hart, that one year deal with dead money on next season just screams "rental" to me.  All signs to me, point toward them going OL heavy in the draft.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 08:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep. I was just going with the most egregious omission though.

It really sucks that the team is so bad overall that we have so many holes and can't fill them all.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 08:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know man, but it seems pretty evident that they view Reiff as a one year stop-gap.  While Reiff should definitely be a nice step up from Bobby Hart, that one year deal with dead money on next season just screams "rental" to me.  All signs to me, point toward them going OL heavy in the draft.

This is what worries me. They did this last year. Heavy on D in FA and it was a situation where everyone said they'll address it in the draft... and then they didn't. 

Reply/Quote