Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Since I won't be posing in the GameDay thread this week
Just a couple reminders before the game:

* Doesn't matter what happens in the 1st QTR - whether it's a 3-and-out or a turnover - the GAME IS NOT OVER until the end of the 4th QTR (or OT).
* Similarly, a 3 point, 7 point, 10 point or even 14 point 1st half deficit is NOT insurmountable (so again, the game is NOT over)
* No defense, not even the greatest ones in NFL history ever held opposing teams to 0 yards rushing and 0 yards passing. The Browns will move the ball. How much they do is on the defense (not the offense, btw) and how well they're playing but they will NEVER keep the other team from gaining SOME yards.

Anything else that I usually say during the course of the GameDay thread that I'm forgetting?

And, of course, anyone is free to take up my mantle of countering the doom-and-gloomers in the GameDay thread on Sunday.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I feel like a qualifying post violates the spirit of your bet. Boo this man!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 12:31 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I feel like a qualifying post violates the spirit of your bet. Boo this man!

The bet was I wouldn't post in the GameDay thread. This isn't the GameDay thread so stick that into your pipe and blow bubbles.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 12:33 PM)PhilHos Wrote: The bet was I wouldn't post in the GameDay thread. This isn't the GameDay thread so stick that into your pipe and blow bubbles.

[Image: them-fighting-words-conan-obrien.gif]

*I've not been in a fight since the 5th grade and even then it was just a push and shove match.
Reply/Quote
I have been all over the place when it comes to football forums, including numerous Bengals forums. One characteristic they all seem to share is that everyone's IQ plummets by 50 points when they are posting in a game day thread. That is a universal law of forum fanhood.

So lean into it folks. That's your space to be an absolute clown. Declare the game over after one incompletion. Predict a Super Bowl berth after the defense registers a single first quarter sack. Go crazy.

Just keep it in that thread alone. The real problems arise when hysteria spams out of the game day thread and becomes 37 unique new threads in the broader forum space where people take every single tiny thought entering their brains and start an entire thread for each of them.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 12:33 PM)PhilHos Wrote: The bet was I wouldn't post in the GameDay thread. This isn't the GameDay thread so stick that into your pipe and blow bubbles.

So you won the bet?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 01:04 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: [Image: them-fighting-words-conan-obrien.gif]

*I've not been in a fight since the 5th grade and even then it was just a push and shove match.

You're on!

[Image: R.117cabf531ac1d02b2c86f5f4f8af1ef?rik=w...ImgRaw&r=0]
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 02:14 PM)jason Wrote: So you won the bet?

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 12:28 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Just a couple reminders before the game:

* Doesn't matter what happens in the 1st QTR - whether it's a 3-and-out or a turnover - the GAME IS NOT OVER until the end of the 4th QTR (or OT).
* Similarly, a 3 point, 7 point, 10 point or even 14 point 1st half deficit is NOT insurmountable (so again, the game is NOT over)
* No defense, not even the greatest ones in NFL history ever held opposing teams to 0 yards rushing and 0 yards passing. The Browns will move the ball. How much they do is on the defense (not the offense, btw) and how well they're playing but they will NEVER keep the other team from gaining SOME yards.

Anything else that I usually say during the course of the GameDay thread that I'm forgetting?

And, of course, anyone is free to take up my mantle of countering the doom-and-gloomers in the GameDay thread on Sunday.

Don't forget that if BUrrow gets hit he will either never survive the season or will refuse to play for the Bengals when his first contract is up.
Reply/Quote
If we don't score on a drive the offense hasn't "Given up on Zac"

If the other team scores the defense hasn't "Given up on Zac"

If we get behind Zac hasn't "Lost the locker room"

Zac doesn't design any plays with the intent of it ending in a turnover

Not every great play on Offense is because Joe "went rouge" and called his own play
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 04:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If we don't score on a drive the offense hasn't "Given up on Zac"

If the other team scores the defense hasn't "Given up on Zac"

If we get behind Zac hasn't "Lost the locker room"

Zac doesn't design any plays with the intent of it ending in a turnover

Not every great play on Offense is because Joe "went rouge" and called his own play

Man, between this post and Fred's post the Game Day thread ought to be 2 pages.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 04:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Man, between this post and Fred's post the Game Day thread ought to be 2 pages.

You (and I and many others) wish.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 04:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Man, between this post and Fred's post the Game Day thread ought to be 2 pages.

The only way to keep the gameday thread short is to pitch a shutout and score a TD on every possession. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 02:12 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I have been all over the place when it comes to football forums, including numerous Bengals forums. One characteristic they all seem to share is that everyone's IQ plummets by 50 points when they are posting in a game day thread. That is a universal law of forum fanhood.

So lean into it folks. That's your space to be an absolute clown. Declare the game over after one incompletion. Predict a Super Bowl berth after the defense registers a single first quarter sack. Go crazy.

Just keep it in that thread alone. The real problems arise when hysteria spams out of the game day thread and becomes 37 unique new threads in the broader forum space where people take every single tiny thought entering their brains and start an entire thread for each of them.

Hey, I only did that once and we agreed never to speak of it again.
Reply/Quote

No way. I ain't going near that joint. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 05:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The only way to keep the gameday thread short is to pitch a shutout and score a TD on every possession. 

Even then, some would complain we scored too fast or we're not getting enough sacks or that it won't last or SOME thing.
Reply/Quote
Wait Phil... When I went back and reviewed the game day thread it seems the person that took you up on the bet has been banned.

(10-31-2021, 05:02 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I’m game.

In that case I think the bet should be null and void since that person also can't post in game day threads due to being banned. I found you a loophole. :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote

Might be the most enjoyable game you'll watch all season without the Gameday stuff. Doing the same thing I did last week again this week. Same group, probably a different brewery.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 07:26 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Wait Phil... When I went back and reviewed the game day thread it seems the person that took you up on the bet has been banned.

In that case I think the bet should be null and void since that person also can't post in game day threads due to being banned. I found you a loophole. :)

Phil is many things, but a welcher ain't one of em...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 07:38 PM)jason Wrote: Phil is many things, but a welcher ain't one of em...

I agree.  But I was just throwing this out for arguments sake.    

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote