Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Since the Bengals last playoff win...
The entire Atlanta Falcons tenure at the Georgia Dome will have come and gone between our playoff wins.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 12:07 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In a league of parity, we defy it like no other.

The Bengals definitely skew the parity curve. Sad
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 04:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So you think the Browns are abetter franchise than the Bengals because they won a playoff game 18 years ago?

Seriously?

So people can't post valid stats/facts without you thinking they believe someone is better because of it.

Seriously?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 01:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just to clarify, the purpose of this thread will be obvious to anyone with a functioning brain who isn't constantly seeking an argument. I wasn't saying "the Bengals are inferior to the Browns because the Browns won 1 playoff game in 1994". Only a complete buffoon would believe that, or someone trying to pick out a weak part of an argument I'm not even trying to make.

No, the point of this thread is to put our playoff streak in perspective. Hopefully for those foolish enough to believe that Bengals fans who have never even witnessed a playoff win are just whiny haters for bringing up a very frustrating and real aspect of the team. One they hope will eventually get better. The idea that I'm happy about the streak is beyond ridiculous. I'm an unpaid moderator on a Bengals chat board for Pete's sake. I love this team and the fact that I have to defend that on here is sad.

You should start putting this as a disclaimer...well, anyone should use this as a disclaimer because there's someone that can't resist claiming a fact or stat means they think the other team is better/better off. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 11:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You should start putting this as a disclaimer...well, anyone should use this as a disclaimer because there's someone that can't resist claiming a fact or stat means they think the other team is better/better off. 

For realz. The fact we even have to state this streak is embarrassing and even needs compared is Mind blowing. It's terrible and flat out needs to change. End of story. Doesn't mean I don't remember when we sucked, or when we was good. Just get over the f***** hump already. Please.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 08:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Amazing, and sad at how long this franchise has wallowed in ineptness ! Think about it

The 80's were just over, the frigging 80's !!

These were high tech when we last won a playoff game

[Image: 240px-RCA_VHS_shoulder-mount_Camcorder.jpg]

The WWW was launched on August 6th 1991.

Jennifer Lawrence was 1 year old.

Operation Desert Storm kicked off on Jan. 17th 1991

Average cost for a gallon of gas was $1.12

Lou Piniella was still the Manager of the Reds.

Average cost of a new car $9,899

GHW Bush was only halfway through his presidency.  We went through his administration and then three consecutive 8 year presidential administrations without a playoff win  Sad
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
This was a great thread. Smallest front office size in the NFL and since our last playoff win:

- 23 teams have been to a Super Bowl. 72% of the league
- Every team besides the Browns, Texans and Lions has won at least 4 playoff games
- 11 teams have won at least 11 playoff games
- 26 teams have at least 5 playoff wins, which is how many the Bengals have in their 49 year history
- 13 teams have been to multiple Super Bowls
- 14 teams have won a Super Bowl

Clearly things are working!
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 10:20 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This was a great thread. Smallest front office size in the NFL and since our last playoff win:

- Every team besides the Browns, Texans and Lions has won at least 4 playoff games
- 26 teams have at least 5 playoff wins, which is how many the Bengals have in their 49 year history

Clearly things are working!

Also had the smallest front office when we went to the Super Bowl.

You need to brush up on your logical arguments.  Or else you should start making threads about how the Bengals need to stop punting on 4th down because they have been punting on almost every fourth down for 26 years and have not won a single playoff games.  Some people here think that is the definition of insanity.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 10:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Also had the smallest front office when we went to the Super Bowl.

You need to brush up on your logical arguments.  Or else you should start making threads about how the Bengals need to stop punting on 4th down because they have been punting on almost every fourth down for 26 years and have not won a single playoff games.  Some people here think that is the definition of insanity.

.....but Paul Brown was running that show, an outlier if there ever was one.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 06:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Wasn't the 1991 season when Mike Brown took over?  That's hardly an arbitrary point to start keeping track of something.

Yes, but the playoff game was at the end of the 1990 season, and therefore took place in 1991.  Paul Brown died in August of 1991 before that season started.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 11:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: - 23 teams have been to a Super Bowl. 72% of the league

Here's the playoff records for all teams from 1991-2015

Patriots: 25-12
Packers: 19-16
Steelers: 18-14
Ravens: 15-8
Broncos: 15-11
Cowboys: 14-10
49ers: 14-11
Colts: 14-15
Seahawks: 12-10
Eagles: 12-13
Giants: 11-7
Panthers: 9-7
Bills: 8-7 (3rd longest streak, at 21 seasons)
Saints: 7-7
Jets: 7-8
Chargers: 7-9
Rams: 6-4
Cardinals: 6-5
Redskins: 6-6
Oilers/Titans: 6-9
Falcons: 6-9
Vikings: 6-13
Raiders: 5-5
Jaguars: 5-6
Buccaneers: 5-6
Dolphins: 5-9
Bears: 4-6
Chiefs: 4-11 (broke a 22 year streak last year)
Texans: 2-3 (both wins over Bengals)
Browns: 1-2 (streak is now at 19 seasons)
Lions: 1-8 (their streak is only 1 year shorter)
Bengals: 0-7 (the streak is now up to 26 seasons)

The only teams to not play in a Super Bowl during this span are:

Jets
Dolphins
Browns
Bengals
Texans
Jaguars
Chiefs
Lions
Vikings

Yes, we know it is depressing not winning a playoff game, but my goal has never been a playoff win. My goal is to win it all. In this age of parity, only 14 of 32 teams have won a Super Bowl the past 26 years. 

I am not saying winning a playoff game is totally insignificant, but in reality winning a playoff game has not proven to be a stepping stone to winning a Super Bowl. Teams go from under .500 records to playoff winners in one year.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
You guys will be back this season. Your a great football team.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 11:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: - 23 teams have been to a Super Bowl. 72% of the league

Here's the playoff records for all teams from 1991-2015

Patriots: 25-12
Packers: 19-16
Steelers: 18-14
Ravens: 15-8
Broncos: 15-11
Cowboys: 14-10
49ers: 14-11
Colts: 14-15
Seahawks: 12-10
Eagles: 12-13
Giants: 11-7
Panthers: 9-7
Bills: 8-7 (3rd longest streak, at 21 seasons)
Saints: 7-7
Jets: 7-8
Chargers: 7-9
Rams: 6-4
Cardinals: 6-5
Redskins: 6-6
Oilers/Titans: 6-9
Falcons: 6-9
Vikings: 6-13
Raiders: 5-5
Jaguars: 5-6
Buccaneers: 5-6
Dolphins: 5-9
Bears: 4-6
Chiefs: 4-11 (broke a 22 year streak last year)
Texans: 2-3 (both wins over Bengals)
Browns: 1-2 (streak is now at 19 seasons)
Lions: 1-8 (their streak is only 1 year shorter)
Bengals: 0-7 (the streak is now up to 26 seasons)

The only teams to not play in a Super Bowl during this span are:

Jets
Dolphins
Browns
Bengals
Texans
Jaguars
Chiefs
Lions
Vikings

OMG! This is so damn depressing. Well they should be announcing Marvin's extension any day now.
Reply/Quote
Winning a Playoff game can hinge on who you get to play.

Brock Osweiler has a Playoff win after going up against Connor Cook a few months ago.

Andy Dalton has no Playoff wins.

The past 6 seasons have had us in the mix way more often than not with 5 Playoff appearances.
No doubt they have to tweak some things to become more relevant.
I still think they have a shot at doing it
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 11:05 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Yes, we know it is depressing not winning a playoff game, but my goal has never been a playoff win. My goal is to win it all. In this age of parity, only 14 of 32 teams have won a Super Bowl the past 26 years. 

I am not saying winning a playoff game is totally insignificant, but in reality winning a playoff game has not proven to be a stepping stone to winning a Super Bowl. Teams go from under .500 records to playoff winners in one year.

Same here, Luvnit...but a playoff win is the first step on that journey, and it would represent huge progress for this franchise. I'm sure it'd mean a lot to Mike, Marv, and this core of players. I'm sure they'd love to get that colossal monkey off their backs, and it is a monkey, whether some want to acknowledge it or not.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 12:02 PM)depthchart Wrote: Winning a Playoff game can hinge on who you get to play.

Brock Osweiler has a Playoff win after going up against Connor Cook a few months ago.

Andy Dalton has no Playoff wins.

The past 6 seasons have had us in the mix way more often than not with 5 Playoff appearances.
No doubt they have to tweak some things to become more relevant.
I still think they have a shot at doing it

We have no playoff wins going against TJ Yates, Mark Sanchez, washed up Schaub, a 9-7 Chargers team we'd just beaten on the road, and a Steelers team missing LeVeon Bell (and Ben for a chunk of time). It's not like we've faced a murderer's row in the playoffs.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 10:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Also had the smallest front office when we went to the Super Bowl.

That was in 1988!

Modern free agency started in the NFL in 1992. We haven't won 1 single playoff game since then.

The correlation is obvious. We don't rely on free agency so scouting is extra important as the free agents we do sign have to be hits and our draft picks are more important.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 12:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We have no playoff wins going against TJ Yates, Mark Sanchez, washed up Schaub, a 9-7 Chargers team we'd just beaten on the road, and a Steelers team missing LeVeon Bell (and Ben for a chunk of time). It's not like we've faced a murderer's row in the playoffs.

I get that.

Our roster was a shell of what it is now during the Jets game and at least one of the Texans games
If I remember right our whole D-line was out during the Jets game.

TJ Yates, Sanchez and Schaub were head and shoulders more experienced than Conner Cook, so Osweiler got his Playoff win.

No doubt the 8 and 0 Bengal team beats the Conner Cook team to get a Playoff win.
Carson Pallmer stays healthy in 2005 and Dalton in 2015 and the Monkey would already be off Marvin's back.
Jeremy Hill hangs on to the ball and monkey off Marvin's back.

It may be a Hang up to focus on Playoff win or no Playoff win.

You all are right that it is a SIGN that the Bengals FO isn't the Patriots.
On the other hand, only 3 teams I think had made 5 straight Playoff appearances in the last 6 years Denver, Patriots Bengals. Maybe one more for 4 out of 32.

A group of 9 BUFFONS could not have done that.

There is some Hope here
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 12:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We have no playoff wins going against TJ Yates, Mark Sanchez, washed up Schaub, a 9-7 Chargers team we'd just beaten on the road, and a Steelers team missing LeVeon Bell (and Ben for a chunk of time). It's not like we've faced a murderer's row in the playoffs.

Yeah exactly. Excuses. Excuses.

When you don't win a single playoff game in 26+ years...it's not bad luck.

Since we've last won a playoff game...23 teams have made a Super Bowl appearance...so those other teams are finding ways to win.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 12:32 PM)depthchart Wrote: I get that.

Our roster was a shell of what it is now during the Jets game and at least one of the Texans games
If I remember right our whole D-line was out during the Jets game.

TJ Yates, Sanchez and Schaub were head and shoulders more experienced than Conner Cook, so Osweiler got his Playoff win.

No doubt the 8 and 0 Bengal team beats the Conner Cook team to get a Playoff win.
Carson Pallmer stays healthy in 2005 and Dalton in 2015 and the Monkey would already be off Marvin's back.
Jeremy Hill hangs on to the ball and monkey off Marvin's back.

It may be a Hang up to focus on Playoff win or no Playoff win.

You all are right that it is a SIGN that the Bengals FO isn't the Patriots.
On the other hand, only 3 teams I think had made 5 straight Playoff appearances in the last 6 years Denver, Patriots Bengals. Maybe one more for 4 out of 32.

A group of 9 BUFFONS could not have done that.

There is some Hope here

It's not some bad luck or terrible circumstances. Other teams win.

Since we're last won a playoff game...26 teams have 5+ playoff wins. It's not some combination of injuries and bad circumstances.

Reply/Quote