Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Since the Bengals last playoff win...
(04-25-2017, 12:32 PM)depthchart Wrote: I get that.

Our roster was a shell of what it is now during the Jets game and at least one of the Texans games
If I remember right our whole D-line was out during the Jets game.

TJ Yates, Sanchez and Schaub were head and shoulders more experienced than Conner Cook, so Osweiler got his Playoff win.

No doubt the 8 and 0 Bengal team beats the Conner Cook team to get a Playoff win.
Carson Pallmer stays healthy in 2005 and Dalton in 2015 and the Monkey would already be off Marvin's back.
Jeremy Hill hangs on to the ball and monkey off Marvin's back.

It may be a Hang up to focus on Playoff win or no Playoff win.

This illustrates how far beaten down we Bengal fans are as a fanbase. We've elevated a single playoff win to some mythical level...always out of reach.

If only the exact perfect storm of circumstances occur...we would finally win 1.

Reality is that most NFL Teams have been to a Super Bowl (72%) since our last playoff win. They're chasing Lombardi's. We're chasing a single playoff win.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 12:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's not some bad luck or terrible circumstances. Other teams win.

Since we're last won a playoff game...26 teams have 5+ playoff wins. It's not some combination of injuries and bad circumstances.

- 23 teams have been to a Super Bowl. 72% of the league

You are judging the Current Front Office of 9 by the last two plus decades.

Everyone knows that the Bengals FO was a joke for decades.
Things changed in 2011 leading to 5 straight Playoff appearances.

9 Pinheads could not have reeled off 5 straight Playoff appearances.

I think that anyone that can reel off 5 straight Playoff appearances is more than capable of winning a Playoff game.
Dalton is zero and 5 in Playoffs but I think he is more than capable of winning in the Playoffs.

Brock Osweiler has a HOLY GRAIL Playoff win and by your measure should not be a HOT POTATO right now that no one wants.

Why would anyone pass on a Playoff game winning QB like Brock ?

Why would anyone want zero and 5 in the playoffs Dalton ?

There is more to the story here than just one Fact. 

Dalton has shown potential and the 5 straight Playoff appearing FO of 9 has shown potential.

Not hopeless...
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 12:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This illustrates how far beaten down we Bengal fans are as a fanbase. We've elevated a single playoff win to some mythical level...always out of reach.

If only the exact perfect storm of circumstances occur...we would finally win 1.

Reality is that most NFL Teams have been to a Super Bowl (72%) since our last playoff win. They're chasing Lombardi's. We're chasing a single playoff win.

You are the one elevating it to a Mythical level.

see Post #62.
Reply/Quote
You are reducing playoff wins down to the QB. The reality is that TEAMS win playoffs...not just 1 player.

Largely the same management team has been in place for the Bengals over the past 26+ years.

How many other GM's go even 5 years without a playoff win and keep their job?
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 12:32 PM)depthchart Wrote: I get that.

Our roster was a shell of what it is now during the Jets game and at least one of the Texans games
If I remember right our whole D-line was out during the Jets game.

TJ Yates, Sanchez and Schaub were head and shoulders more experienced than Conner Cook, so Osweiler got his Playoff win.

No doubt the 8 and 0 Bengal team beats the Conner Cook team to get a Playoff win.
Carson Pallmer stays healthy in 2005 and Dalton in 2015 and the Monkey would already be off Marvin's back.
Jeremy Hill hangs on to the ball and monkey off Marvin's back.

It may be a Hang up to focus on Playoff win or no Playoff win.

You all are right that it is a SIGN that the Bengals FO isn't the Patriots.
On the other hand, only 3 teams I think had made 5 straight Playoff appearances in the last 6 years Denver, Patriots Bengals. Maybe one more for 4 out of 32.

A group of 9 BUFFONS could not have done that.

There is some Hope here

- A "shell of themselves" is a bit much. What players were we missing against the Jets? List them. What about the Texans? All teams deal with injuries. The only times where we really had an argument there was the very first Steelers game (Palmer) and the Colts game (missing pretty much all receivers). The injury excuse is weak in any of the other 5 games. 

- TJ Yates had a whopping 4 real starts heading into that playoff game, so I don't know that you can say he had a wealth of more experience. Sanchez was a rookie that only attempted 364 passes in 15 games. 

- I sincerely don't know if the Bengals beat that Connor Cook led team. Or the Ryan Lindley Cardinals a couple years back. The Bengals have a tendency of making those types of guys look like Joe Montana. Again, just look at TJ Yates, who has a a 90.3 rating (4 TDs to 1 INT) against the Bengals in 3 appearances while posting a 61.4 rating (3 TDs to 10 INTs) against everyone else.

It's all woulda/coulda/shoulda. Marv should've lucked into a playoff win by now. You have to be doing something wrong to go 0 for 7. I've never said he's a buffoon...I actually think he's a good motivator for regular season. He gets these guys ready for the grind of a 16 game schedule. He's a solid team builder. He just also happens to be a choke artist. The playoffs are a different animal and Marv apparently has no idea how to prep his players for it. We've even had 4 damn games at home ffs. Every game has at least been close in the first half, followed by a 2nd half implosion. The team always looks like they morph into a 3-13 squad overnight.

I can't accept that it's coincidence. All the evidence screams that it's not. Btw, I don't like your overall point here, which seems to be that we should hope for a really weak opponent to get a W. We should be able to beat the good teams, as we are (were) a good team. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 01:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You are reducing playoff wins down to the QB. The reality is that TEAMS win playoffs...not just 1 player.

Largely the same management team has been in place for the Bengals over the past 26+ years.

How many other GM's go even 5 years without a playoff win and keep their job?

I simply used the QB example to illustrate your over emphasis of a Playoff win's meaning.

The 2015 Bengal team started 8 and 0, lost an MVP caliber QB and still had Big Ben on the ropes only to lose when a running back fumbled a slick ball. The FO didn't fumble the slick ball. Neither did Marvin.

In your mind that team was Worthless.
They could not win a Playoff game, therefore, their Coach was worthless, their FO was worthless and to BOOT you want to attach 26 years of other Bengal teams to that 2015 team. Lump them all together as INCAPABLE of winning a Playoff game.

According to your Logic or lack there of, the 2015 Bengal team was poorly constructed by the FO, lacked talent and could not have beaten any Playoff team that has played in the last 26 years.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 01:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: - A "shell of themselves" is a bit much. What players were we missing against the Jets? List them. What about the Texans? All teams deal with injuries. The only times where we really had an argument there was the very first Steelers game (Palmer) and the Colts game (missing pretty much all receivers). The injury excuse is weak in any of the other 5 games. 

- TJ Yates had a whopping 4 real starts heading into that playoff game, so I don't know that you can say he had a wealth of more experience. Sanchez was a rookie that only attempted 364 passes in 15 games. 

- I sincerely don't know if the Bengals beat that Connor Cook led team. Or the Ryan Lindley Cardinals a couple years back. The Bengals have a tendency of making those types of guys look like Joe Montana. Again, just look at TJ Yates, who has a a 90.3 rating (4 TDs to 1 INT) against the Bengals in 3 appearances while posting a 61.4 rating (3 TDs to 10 INTs) against everyone else.

It's all woulda/coulda/shoulda. Marv should've lucked into a playoff win by now. You have to be doing something wrong to go 0 for 7. I've never said he's a buffoon...I actually think he's a good motivator for regular season. He gets these guys ready for the grind of a 16 game schedule. He's a solid team builder. He just also happens to be a choke artist. The playoffs are a different animal and Marv apparently has no idea how to prep his players for it. We've even had 4 damn games at home ffs. Every game has at least been close in the first half, followed by a 2nd half implosion. The team always looks like they morph into a 3-13 squad overnight.

I can't accept that it's coincidence. All the evidence screams that it's not. Btw, I don't like your overall point here, which seems to be that we should hope for a really weak opponent to get a W. We should be able to beat the good teams, as we are (were) a good team. 

They were a Shell of the 2015 team.

see Post #67
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 01:40 PM)depthchart Wrote: I simply used the QB example to illustrate your over emphasis of a Playoff win's meaning.

The 2015 Bengal team started 8 and 0, lost an MVP caliber QB and still had Big Ben on the ropes only to lose when a running back fumbled a slick ball. The FO didn't fumble the slick ball. Neither did Marvin.

They could not win a Playoff game, therefore, their Coach was worthless, their FO was worthless and to BOOT you want to attach 26 years of other Bengal teams to that 2015 team. Lump them all together as INCAPABLE of winning a Playoff game.

According to your Logic or lack there of, the 2015 Bengal team was poorly constructed by the FO, lacked talent and could not have beaten any Playoff team that has played in the last 26 years.

The football was slick when Hill fumbled now?

How about 2 personal fouls after that on defense.

That's what you get when you bring low-character players in time after time that the coach can't control. They take shortcuts. They sign former 1st Round picks that other teams don't want because they can get them cheap because of character issues...and those players come back and bite you.

Plain and simple the team imploded. That was one of the biggest meltdowns I've ever seen.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 01:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The football was slick when Hill fumbled now?

That's what you get when you bring low-character players in time after time that the coach can't control. They take shortcuts. They sign former 1st Round picks that other teams don't want because they can get them cheap because of character issues...and those players come back and bite you.

Plain and simple the team imploded. That was one of the biggest meltdowns I've ever seen.

Hey...keep posting in your thread you started how since Marvin got here is Mike Brown's golden age...

Learn how to read.

I simply said that once Marvin demanded more Control and got it the team became consistently better.
5 straight Playoff appearances.

It has been distinctly better the last 6 years than the first 20 and the last 6 is a better gauge of the current FO.

I get where you are coming from though.
The 2015 team was incapable of beating any Playoff team in the last 26 years.

Your wisdom is astounding.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 01:40 PM)depthchart Wrote: I simply used the QB example to illustrate your over emphasis of a Playoff win's meaning.

When has anyone said the Bengals are "incapable" of winning a game? What he's saying is this team has choked on the big-stages. It's as simple as that, really. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The sad part is that I'm more confident they'll find a way to lose in the playoffs instead of winning.

Their modern day gaffes have more to do with that than the amount of time since the last one.

Aside from the injury laden team that had no shot, those others were at least capable of winning one playoff game.

Yet here we are. Big ol' goose eggs!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 01:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The football was slick when Hill fumbled now?

Hey...keep posting in your thread you started how since Marvin got here is Mike Brown's golden age...

What I find funny is how you spend seemingly every waking moment following Mike Brown's 26 years of worthlessness.

You will be on the Edge of your seat Thursday watching the worthless 9 Front Office pick a player.

Edge of your seat for 26 years.

That is Classic stuff.

You're Brilliant. 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 02:06 PM)depthchart Wrote: I get where you are coming from though.
The 2015 team was incapable of beating any Playoff team in the last 26 years.

Now the Bengals lack of playoff success is being justified by imaginary playoff matchups...that they may have won.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 01:43 PM)depthchart Wrote: They were a Shell of the 2015 team.

see Post #67

They had a lead late in the game and imploded. Bottom line. Dalton. No Dalton.

They found a way to lose that game.

The fumble. The 2 personal fouls. None of that would have changed with Dalton.
Reply/Quote
Here's another thing that shows our playoff implosions. We generally have good defenses. But, in our last 6 playoff games...our defense has given up 158+ yards rushing 5 of the 6 times. They've also given up 353+ yards of total offense 4 times.

We've rushed for over 113 yards as a team ONCE. (2009) We've rushed for under 91 yards 3 times.

We've passed for over 188 yards in only 2 out of 6 playoff games.

This just all goes to show that when the lights come on the moment is too big for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 12:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Same here, Luvnit...but a playoff win is the first step on that journey, and it would represent huge progress for this franchise. I'm sure it'd mean a lot to Mike, Marv, and this core of players. I'm sure they'd love to get that colossal monkey off their backs, and it is a monkey, whether some want to acknowledge it or not.

It just moves the monkey if no Super Bowl is won. If we win a playoff game, then it will be downplayed as no Super Bowl win so short of hoisting the Lombardi, fans will complain. That is our right and I am upset also, but more upset about not able to capitalize on 7 recent opportunities and fear we may not even get back to playoffs.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 02:23 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The sad part is that I'm more confident they'll find a way to lose in the playoffs instead of winning.

Their modern day gaffes have more to do with that than the amount of time since the last one.

Aside from the injury laden team that had no shot, those others were at least capable of winning one playoff game.

Yet here we are.  Big ol' goose eggs!

My thoughts exactly

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

That loss was tough and I'm a Packers fan. I think the Steelers only won due to the refs that night.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 04:40 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It just moves the monkey if no Super Bowl is won. If we win a playoff game, then it will be downplayed as no Super Bowl win so short of hoisting the Lombardi, fans will complain. That is our right and I am upset also, but more upset about not able to capitalize on 7 recent opportunities and fear we may not even get back to playoffs.

Well 73% of the league has been to the Super Bowl since we last won a playoff game...and some of the teams that haven't been are expansion teams.

We won our division 4 times. You'd think we could have won a couple playoff games atleast...

I agree with you that I fear we may not make the playoffs for some time. I was just looking at our roster and player contracts...and our Core is basically gone or going to be gone soon. It's the typically cycle of the NFL...

We're due for a rebuild soon.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 04:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:
Well 73% of the league has been to the Super Bowl since we last won a playoff game
...and some of the teams that haven't been are expansion teams.

We won our division 4 times. You'd think we could have won a couple playoff games atleast...

I agree with you that I fear we may not make the playoffs for some time. I was just looking at our roster and player contracts...and our Core is basically gone or going to be gone soon. It's the typically cycle of the NFL...

We're due for a rebuild soon.

Yet, still only 43.75% (14 of 32) of the league won a Super Bowl the past 26 years. So, the reality is we are in the bottom with 56.25% of the teams the past 26 years. So, over half the league in a time of parity was very bad.

I agree, we should have won at least 2 home playoff games (Chargers and Steelers) and choked.

Reply/Quote