Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Since the Bengals last playoff win...
Center was indeed the weak spot on the team 2 years ago.

At some points, it was our inability to cover the TE and a lot of us advocated for signing a guy like Darryl Smith would wasn't asking for $10 million a year...but would address these issues.

Did we lose to the Steelers in the playoffs because of Bodine solely? Of course not. But, when you get to the playoffs it's good team vs good team...so you need to have all of your positions as strong as you can.

To know that Center or MLB is a weak spot and not address it when you have cap space...leads to losing playoff games.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 02:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Center was indeed the weak spot on the team 2 years ago.

At some points, it was our inability to cover the TE and a lot of us advocated for signing a guy like Darryl Smith would wasn't asking for $10 million a year...but would address these issues.

Did we lose to the Steelers in the playoffs because of Bodine solely? Of course not. But, when you get to the playoffs it's good team vs good team...so you need to have all of your positions as strong as you can.

To know that Center or MLB is a weak spot and not address it when you have cap space...leads to losing playoff games.

Yes, this^^^^^^.

We haven't been able to cover a TE since Moby Dick was a minnow.....hoping Minter helps in that department.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 03:15 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, this^^^^^^.

We haven't been able to cover a TE since Moby Dick was a minnow.....hoping Minter helps in that department.

The big thing that the Bengal apologists are missing is you don't fail to win a playoff game for 26+ years and lose 7 playoff games without winning a single one by luck.

Obviously there are SOME weaknesses on the team.

Going into a season with excess cap space that could be used to address these weaknesses when you have a Top 5 roster in the NFL...is indefensible. THAT'S THE PRIME TIME TO SPEND!
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 03:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The big thing that the Bengal apologists are missing is you don't fail to win a playoff game for 26+ years and lose 7 playoff games without winning a single one by luck.

Going into a season with excess cap space that could be used to address these weaknesses when you have a Top 5 roster in the NFL...is indefensible. THAT'S THE PRIME TIME TO SPEND!

EXACTLY.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 04:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: EXACTLY.

There seems to be an all-or-nothing mentality on the board too. Like people divide themselves into thinking the Bengals Management is horrible or great. Because admitting that maybe there is some room for improvement from the team that you spend hours and hours watching is just unthinkable. It's easier to just break it down into Horrible or Great.

The real truth lies somewhere in the middle. We had about 2 GREAT drafts in a row coupled with 2 more good ones. Then, we have about 4 below average to bad drafts.

We were the young up-and-coming team for part of these playoff runs which was exciting...but at some point we peaked and started losing A LOT of players through attrition.

You don't just keep getting better on a linear scale from year-to-year. You have to draft well and supplement your losses.

By not signing Tier 1, 2, and 3 free agents...and relying almost exclusively on the draft...these past 4 subpar drafts have really hurt the Bengals on field product going forward.

Is there hope? Yes. If guys like Jackson and Billings turn into great Pro's. If guys like Dennard finally starts playing well. If a guy like Paul Dawson comes out of nowhere to be great. If we draft 2-3 Pro Bowl players this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 04:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There seems to be an all-or-nothing mentality on the board too. Like people divide themselves into thinking the Bengals Management is horrible or great. Because admitting that maybe there is some room for improvement from the team that you spend hours and hours watching is just unthinkable. It's easier to just break it down into Horrible or Great.

The real truth lies somewhere in the middle. We had about 2 GREAT drafts in a row coupled with 2 more good ones. Then, we have about 4 below average to bad drafts.

We were the young up-and-coming team for part of these playoff runs which was exciting...but at some point we peaked and started losing A LOT of players through attrition.

You don't just keep getting better on a linear scale from year-to-year. You have to draft well and supplement your losses.

By not signing Tier 1, 2, and 3 free agents...and relying almost exclusively on the draft...these past 4 subpar drafts have really hurt the Bengals on field product going forward.

Is there hope? Yes. If guys like Jackson and Billings turn into great Pro's. If guys like Dennard finally starts playing well. If a guy like Paul Dawson comes out of nowhere to be great. If we draft 2-3 Pro Bowl players this year.

Kinda like politics, eh?  I mean, I'm an independent/third party kinda guy....people will talk to me as long as I'm touting their sides' accolades, but as soon as I point out a flaw in their side....I'm a nazi or a libtard, and they shut down.

Takes me back to the homer/hater fracas on the old board.  I could see legitimacy in both sides, and their flaws.....but depending on who you were speaking with, and what stance you were taking....you could be either one at any given time!

I prefer realist. Wink

However, I can admit, I've had to be talked off the ledge a time or two in the FA period.....even a little bit this year....shit pisses me off! LMAO

Reply/Quote
Were the players better at the last playoff or better coaching staff?
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 03:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The big thing that the Bengal apologists are missing is you don't fail to win a playoff game for 26+ years and lose 7 playoff games without winning a single one by luck.

Lalala
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
This is another 'puts things in perspective' thread.

- 23 teams have been to a Super Bowl. 72% of the league
- Every team besides the Browns, Texans and Lions has won at least 4 playoff games
- 11 teams have won at least 11 playoff games
- 26 teams have at least 5 playoff wins, which is how many the Bengals have in their 49 year history
- 13 teams have been to multiple Super Bowls
- 14 teams have won a Super Bowl
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 12:05 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Just imagine how much worse we'do be if we foolishly signed big-name free agents. Just look at the Redskins.

Ummm. Wait a second.

Haha

Considering The Redskins have only five playoff appearances with only two wins in the last eighteen years their strategy isn't a very good one.
[img]http://[Image: power-rangers-dinozords-ranking-tigerzor...mhpcjr.jpg][/img]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2017, 07:05 PM)Bronze Bengal Wrote: Considering The Redskins have only five playoff appearances with only two wins in the last eighteen years their strategy isn't a very good one.

It's certainly yielded more playoff wins than ours.

People always point out the worst of the worst to show the Bengals strategy isn't bad. The Redskins for free agency. The Browns for overall success.

You can look at most of the recent Super Bowl winners and see key free agents they signed. The Redskins try to build an entire roster through free agency. You can't do that.

The years where we had a good roster would have been prime time to bring that key free agent in. Like had we signed Dansby instead of Harrison. Dansby was a better fit. Harrison was an OLB in the 3-4 and didn't really fit here. But, Harrison was willing to sign for less money than Dansby. Dansby still had some tread left on the tires at that point too...unlike last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2017, 07:05 PM)Bronze Bengal Wrote: Considering The Redskins have only five playoff appearances with only two wins in the last eighteen years their strategy isn't a very good one.

You make a good point.  For quite some time, the Redskins have been the polar opposite of the Bengals, when it comes to philosophy on putting together a roster.  Now, if you look at the Bengals and Redskins as extreme examples, on opposite ends of the scale, you can easily see that neither way is working out so well.  One might conclude that the real key to success lies somewhere in the middle ground.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2017, 07:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's certainly yielded more playoff wins than ours.

People always point out the worst of the worst to show the Bengals strategy isn't bad. The Redskins for free agency. The Browns for overall success.

You can look at most of the recent Super Bowl winners and see key free agents they signed. The Redskins try to build an entire roster through free agency. You can't do that.

The years where we had a good roster would have been prime time to bring that key free agent in. Like had we signed Dansby instead of Harrison. Dansby was a better fit. Harrison was an OLB in the 3-4 and didn't really fit here. But, Harrison was willing to sign for less money than Dansby. Dansby still had some tread left on the tires at that point too...unlike last year.

With those two in mind, and you might as well include AJ Hawk in that lump sum of over the hill signings, how do you feel about the signing of Minter this year?  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 11:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: - 23 teams have been to a Super Bowl. 72% of the league
- Every team besides the Browns, Texans and Lions has won at least 4 playoff games
- 11 teams have won at least 11 playoff games
- 26 teams have at least 5 playoff wins, which is how many the Bengals have in their 49 year history
- 13 teams have been to multiple Super Bowls
- 14 teams have won a Super Bowl

Here's the playoff records for all teams from 1991-2015

Patriots: 25-12
Packers: 19-16
Steelers: 18-14
Ravens: 15-8
Broncos: 15-11
Cowboys: 14-10
49ers: 14-11
Colts: 14-15
Seahawks: 12-10
Eagles: 12-13
Giants: 11-7
Panthers: 9-7
Bills: 8-7 (3rd longest streak, at 21 seasons)
Saints: 7-7
Jets: 7-8
Chargers: 7-9
Rams: 6-4
Cardinals: 6-5
Redskins: 6-6
Oilers/Titans: 6-9
Falcons: 6-9
Vikings: 6-13
Raiders: 5-5
Jaguars: 5-6
Buccaneers: 5-6
Dolphins: 5-9
Bears: 4-6
Chiefs: 4-11 (broke a 22 year streak last year)
Texans: 2-3 (both wins over Bengals)
Browns: 1-2 (streak is now at 19 seasons)
Lions: 1-8 (their streak is only 1 year shorter)
Bengals: 0-7 (the streak is now up to 26 seasons)

The only teams to not play in a Super Bowl during this span are:

Jets
Dolphins
Browns
Bengals
Texans
Jaguars
Chiefs
Lions
Vikings

This is a great thread for the fans who think that the Bengals are successful.

Since we last won a playoff game...these are the only teams to NOT play in a Super Bowl:

Jets
Dolphins
Browns
Bengals
Texans
Jaguars
Chiefs
Lions
Vikings
Reply/Quote
26 teams have at least 5 playoff wins since our last playoff win, which is how many the Bengals have in their 50 year history!
Reply/Quote
I made this thread prior to the playoffs last year. It's even worse now and will get worse again in a month.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2017, 07:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With those two in mind, and you might as well include AJ Hawk in that lump sum of over the hill signings, how do you feel about the signing of Minter this year?  

I felt like he was an upgrade over Maualuga...but he wasn't a huge upgrade. He's still a guy who is kind of slow.

BEFORE his injury he graded out as above average to good at times.

AFTER his injury, his play has fallen off of a cliff for whatever reason.

Overall though...I liked the move as they were trying to upgrade. A 1 year deal is too short though if you do get an upgrade.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 02:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I made this thread prior to the playoffs last year. It's even worse now and will get worse again in a month.

Indeed.

Other teams win playoff games. We don't.
Reply/Quote
The year of the Bengals last playoff win, "Downtown" by Petula Clark was the #1 song; Gone With the Wind was the #1 movie; Henry Ford released his first, mass-produced 'horseless carriage'; President-elect Abraham Lincoln discussed ways to end slavery; and Eve lied to Adam about where she got that apple.

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Since the Bengals last playoff win I have:
Graduated from college
Got married
Had 3 kids
Had 2 grandchildren
Got divorced
Remarried
Had 9 different full time jobs
12 cars (that I can remember)