Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sirius Interviews
(05-11-2021, 05:29 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Chase allows them to work more empty sets? Thats all they ran last year was empty sets.

Maybe more productive empty sets? They basically got nothing out of AJ last year. 
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 06:26 PM)TheFan Wrote: Maybe more productive empty sets? They basically got nothing out of AJ last year. 

They are saying that the WRs (especially Chase) will be open quicker so Burrow won’t have to hold the ball and can get it out quick. Spreading the defense out allows more man to man and they think this will help them with quicker throws to open receivers.

Does that sound right because thats my interpretation of Chase helping with the empty sets
Reply/Quote
I just love it when the offense makes no attempt at making the defense defend against the run.

Total finesse.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 09:37 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I just love it when the offense makes no attempt at making the defense defend against the run.

Total finesse.

Last time Pollack was here, we ranked 8th in YPC (best ranking since 2000)...but we ranked 26th in carries. We really need to bring some balance back to the offense. In all 7 years we made the playoffs, we ranked no lower than 17th in carries, and we were top 10 in 5 of those years.

We're not going to suddenly become the first AFCN team to dominate while throwing like the Drew Bress Saints...just because we have Burrow and Chase. This is a running division. Always has been. Cold weather and no domes. Tough defense. I feel like Zac is trying to reinvent the wheel here and doesn't quite get it. The FO should get it, but of course they don't.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 03:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Last time Pollack was here, we ranked 8th in YPC (best ranking since 2000)...but we ranked 26th in carries. We really need to bring some balance back to the offense. In all 7 years we made the playoffs, we ranked no lower than 17th in carries, and we were top 10 in 5 of those years.

We're not going to suddenly become the first AFCN team to dominate while throwing like the Drew Bress Saints...just because we have Burrow and Chase. This is a running division. Always has been. Cold weather and no domes. Tough defense. I feel like Zac is trying to reinvent the wheel here and doesn't quite get it. The FO should get it, but of course they don't.

Part of the reason the Bengals were so low in rushing attempts in 2018 is because the defense couldn't stop s**t.
Defense allowed 455 points (28.4 PPG), which was 30th in the league. They also allowed the most yards in the league, 6618.

If the Bengals want to rush more, they're gonna need a better defense that can keep the opposition from scoring.
Anarumo has been trending upward in Points Allowed compared to 2018, getting the team to 25th in Points Allowed in 2019, and 22nd in Points Allowed in 2020. However, the defense is still atrocious at giving up yards, allowing 29th most in 2019 and 26th most in 2020.
Here's hoping the Bengals get closer to middle-of-the-pack on defense in 2021.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 03:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Part of the reason the Bengals were so low in rushing attempts in 2018 is because the defense couldn't stop s**t.
Defense allowed 455 points (28.4 PPG), which was 30th in the league. They also allowed the most yards in the league, 6618.

If the Bengals want to rush more, they're gonna need a better defense that can keep the opposition from scoring.
Anarumo has been trending upward in Points Allowed compared to 2018, getting the team to 25th in Points Allowed in 2019, and 22nd in Points Allowed in 2020. However, the defense is still atrocious at giving up yards, allowing 29th most in 2019 and 26th most in 2020.
Here's hoping the Bengals get closer to middle-of-the-pack on defense in 2021.

Defense plays into it for sure, but it's mostly play calling.

In 2005, we ranked 28th in yards allowed, 22nd in points allowed, but 14th in carries.

This despite having a top QB and Chad/Housh/Henry as our receivers.

We have to want to run the football.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 03:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Defense plays into it for sure, but it's mostly play calling.

In 2005, we ranked 28th in yards allowed, 22nd in points allowed, but 14th in carries.

This despite having a top QB and Chad/Housh/Henry as our receivers.

We have to want to run the football.

It will be interesting to see/hear the dynamic between Pollack and Taylor when it comes to running vs passing.
It seemed like Taylor and Turner both were in favor of passing.
I get the sense Pollack wants to run more.
But even with Pollack being the run game coordinator, I wonder if Taylor has override powers to decide whether it will be a run or pass.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 04:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It will be interesting to see/hear the dynamic between Pollack and Taylor when it comes to running vs passing.
It seemed like Taylor and Turner both were in favor of passing.
I get the sense Pollack wants to run more.
But even with Pollack being the run game coordinator, I wonder if Taylor has override powers to decide whether it will be a run or pass.

Hard telling until we see them in action, but it'll be an interesting storyline to follow. We have Burrow and all these WRs...plus Zac himself is a former QB who has shown a love for throwing.

On the other hand, you have Mixon, who we paid big time money, Pollack who will be coordinating the run game, and you also want to protect Burrow's knee and hold true to the AFCN formula of running (or at least being balanced).

Imo, the dumping of Gio and the talk of getting Mixon involved in the passing game is probably a sign that Zac still heavily favors passing, and they want to justify Mixon's contract in other ways, as they know he won't be taking 300 carries.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 12:17 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Good OP. Nice info.

Sure sounds like Jordan is not going anywhere based on that interview.

OT: J. Williams, Reiff
OG: Carman, XSF, Spain, Jordan
C: Hopkins, Price

That is 8. Have to think Smith makes the roster. That is 9. If we keep 10, that would mean Fred Johnson, Adeniji, and Hill competing for 1 spot on the 53.

If we're looking at it from a practical pov, I think we all expect more than one of these guys to get hurt lol. It's hard to look past how three of the names are Hopkins, Jonah and Price. In the end, I don't think it'll be much of a competition; more dictated by who stays healthy. 

That said, in a perfect world, I think all three rooks would make the 53. In fact, I'd expect Hill to play meaningful snaps quite early. I'd see Hakeem, Johnson and Jordan being on the chopping block, maybe in that order. And if Hopkins came back healthy and Trey found his footing, I don't think Price would be long for this team either.

But again, injuries will mount. All of these dudes are safe for the time being imo.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 04:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hard telling until we see them in action, but it'll be an interesting storyline to follow. We have Burrow and all these WRs...plus Zac himself is a former QB who has shown a love for throwing.

On the other hand, you have Mixon, who we paid big time money, Pollack who will be coordinating the run game, and you also want to protect Burrow's knee and hold true to the AFCN formula of running (or at least being balanced).

Imo, the dumping of Gio and the talk of getting Mixon involved in the passing game is probably a sign that Zac still heavily favors passing, and they want to justify Mixon's contract in other ways, as they know he won't be taking 300 carries.

The devil's advocate take here is that if Mixon breaks some big gains and/or takes it to the house with better blockers/scheme, this will be a moot point. Even the most pass happy coaches ever will ride the hot hand. Kinda like Nawlins does when Kamara is going off.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 05:02 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: The devil's advocate take here is that if Mixon breaks some big gains and/or takes it to the house with better blockers/scheme, this will be a moot point. Even the most pass happy coaches ever will ride the hot hand. Kinda like Nawlins does when Kamara is going off.

Well hopefully Zac winds up being more like recent Sean Payton, who came to realize his aging QB couldn't do it on his own...and not like old Payton, who put everything on Brees' arm.

Also, hopefully Zac realizes he's in the slobberknocker AFCN, not in a division of warm cities, soft defenses and domes.
Reply/Quote
Since the spread, RPO’s, bunch sets, receiving TE’s, etc have come to dominate the NFL, the “brutal” AFCN has but one AFCCG appearance in the last 8 years (that’s 1 out of 16 - ouch!). And that was Pittsburgh who finished that year (2016) as the 5th best passing offense in the NFL (one of Anthony Browns big years).

Maybe “old-school” doesn’t look work in modern playoff football anymore or at least the time being. If JB is the best QB in the division like I think he’s going to be, use him. There will be plenty of leftovers for Mixon.
Reply/Quote
This morning was "Bengal Preview" on Sirius. Solomon Wilcots and Brandon McCafferty talked with Paul Dehner for about 15 minutes. Some cliff notes:

Ossai is impressive. He says if you could script what someone should say; he does it. Calling card is effort.

JB wants protection up the middle. That's why Cappa and Karass (Originally Bucs C) were such priorities. JB says he can "handle the pressure from the edges himself"

Culture is real. Talked about how amazing the culture is. If you didn't "buy in" you were gone. Effort, effort, effort..

Coaching stability is great. Stated it was very rare to have the same HC and 3 coordinators for 4 years.

Doesn't "know" anything about Bates situation. "Thinks" he'll report and sit out a lot of the physical stuff during Preseason, but just guessing.

JB was not comfortable until about the mid-point last year.

Had Dax very high on draft board because of versatility . So happy he was there

CTB and Apple will compete for starting gig. He thinks if CTB doesn't win the job in Preseason, he will at some point during the season. Unless Apple "surprises".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2022, 05:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This morning was "Bengal Preview" on Sirius. Solomon Wilcots and Brandon McCafferty talked with Paul Dehner for about 15 minutes. Some cliff notes:

Ossai is impressive. He says if you could script what someone should say; he does it. Calling card is effort.

JB wants protection up the middle. That's why Cappa and Karass (Originally Bucs C) were such priorities. JB says he can "handle the pressure from the edges himself"

Culture is real. Talked about how amazing the culture is. If you didn't "buy in" you were gone. Effort, effort, effort..

Coaching stability is great. Stated it was very rare to have the same HC and 3 coordinators for 4 years.

Doesn't "know" anything about Bates situation. "Thinks" he'll report and sit out a lot of the physical stuff during Preseason, but just guessing.

JB was not comfortable until about the mid-point last year.  

Had Dax very high on draft board because of versatility . So happy he was there

CTB and Apple will compete for starting gig. He thinks if CTB doesn't win the job in Preseason, he will at some point during the season. Unless Apple "surprises".

Glad to hear Ossai has been impressive. Would be great to have another good pass rusher.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2022, 05:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: CTB and Apple will compete for starting gig. He thinks if CTB doesn't win the job in Preseason, he will at some point during the season. Unless Apple "surprises".

I dont get this. Didnt he impress last year? 

I think he had the lowest passer rating allowed in man coverage last season.
Reply/Quote
The Sirius Team were at Paycom today and the interviews were aired from 5-7 PM. Nothing groundbreaking but a few observations:

Ja'Marr:
Says they are moving him around a lot more this year, but he has no desire to be a Deebo Sanders type
Says he can't/won't demand the ball more because Tee is also a #1
Did a lot of track work this offseason (lost 5 lbs)

Duke:
Doesn't believe in specialization for scouting, The same folks that scout the college game/ scout the pro game
Will be tracking cuts of other teams and if they can make us better will do it, but we must understand we are 31st on the waiver list

Logan:
Gives a lot of credit for his success to Josh Bynes; said he was always teaching

Volston:
Nothing much from him but Lapham said it amazes him that you'll watch the game and some Olinemen looked like they never played a snap in their life (No idea who he was referring to, but it could be someone Volston is battling)

ZAC:
Tea leaves here, but don't expect to see any starters of note this Preseason

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 08:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The Sirius Team were at Paycom today and the interviews were aired from 5-7 PM. Nothing groundbreaking but a few observations:

Ja'Marr:
Says they are moving him around a lot more this year, but he has no desire to be a Deebo Sanders type

Duke:
Doesn't believe in specialization for scouting, The same folks that scout the college game/ scout the pro game
Will be tracking cuts of other teams and if they can make us better will do it, but we must understand we are 31st on the waiver list

Logan:
Gives a lot of credit for his success to Josh Bynes; said he was always teaching

Volston:
Nothing much from him but Lapham said it amazes him that you'll watch the game and some Olinemen looked like they never played a snap in their  life (No idea who he was referring to, but it could be someone Volston is battling)

ZAC:
Boy that is a mystery.  Was someone stumbling around out there Friday night, missing stunts, getting pushed into the backfield, and drawing a holding call?  All against second and third stringers?  Can't imagine who that could have been.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 08:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The Sirius Team were at Paycom today and the interviews were aired from 5-7 PM. Nothing groundbreaking but a few observations:

Ja'Marr:

Duke:

Logan:

Volston:
Nothing much from him but Lapham said it amazes him that you'll watch the game and some Olinemen looked like they never played a snap in their  life (No idea who he was referring to, but it could be someone Volston is battling)

ZAC:

He wasn't talking about Volston

Zac said no starters are playing this week except for whoever ends up at LG

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 08:24 PM)pally Wrote: He wasn't talking about Volston

Zac said no starters are playing this week except for whoever ends up at LG

Yep; it's why I said "starters of note". We h(and I think they) have no idea who's going to be the starting LG. Hell he might not even be on the roster

Reply/Quote
I started listening at the end of jamarr’s segment but caught the rest. Wilson continues to impress me.

I think volson ends up winning the job unless someone else is brought in. The game doesn’t seem to big for him and he doesn’t seem intimidated. He just needs the reps. He seems to get the concept of controlling the controllables. I’m not a carman hater but I don’t get the sense he has the same outlook.

Hubbard was the last player interviewed I think. Got the sense the players are fully bought into anarumo and the years together they know what yo expect from each other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote