Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sit Joe Burrow down
(09-19-2023, 11:04 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: What will 1 extra day do if 5 weeks wasn't enough? If this team is that lost because of 1 player being out they may as well forfeit the rest of the season. I know, I know, but he is Joe Burrow... other teams have lost their star QB and won games.

Yep. Run him out there, so he hurts it or something else and is out the whole year. 
Reply/Quote
Just how bad are our backup QB's? I don't think anybody really knows. If that bad why waste a roster spot on them then? Couldn't look any worse than JB did in Cleveland. May as well carry another punter, whoops that's another sore topic so far. Rush looked like a starter against us last year and I think he won 4 games for them with Dak out.

Everyone is so use to JB throwing for 450 yds and 4 TD's (when he isn't hurting) that no other QB could possibly step in and do well enough. They may be forced to find out this week.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 09:46 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: If a complete month off didn’t heal it already what’s another 4 going to do? This was a non contact injury..something in his training program or change caused it..lifting too much weights or straining..see this a lot with baseball players who have an average athletes body type and then suddenly decide to get jacked up at the gym one year..lots of tendon ligament hamstring injuries strains from just running/sliding follow

I get that but you did see him limping off the field, right?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 11:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I get that but you did see him limping off the field, right?

He re-injured it.

I doubt that 1 or 2 weeks off help much. He'd need probably 2 months + to heal.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 10:48 PM)kevin Wrote: Bengals really need to get to 1-2 and not 0-3, because 0-3 teams, stick a fork in them, they are done. 

We're not talking about just one game or one season. We're talking about the best thing that has happened to Cincinati in decades. 

We can't risk Burrow playing injured. It's not worth the bigger risk, his career, the Bengals future. And it's not just fear of Donald.

Let the man get 100% healthy
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 11:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He re-injured it.

I doubt that 1 or 2 weeks off help much. He'd need probably 2 months + to heal.

It's not 1 or 2, it's 5
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 11:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We're not talking about just one game or one season. We're talking about the best thing that has happened to Cincinati in decades. 

We can't risk Burrow playing injured. It's not worth the bigger risk, his career, the Bengals future. And it's not just fear of Donald.

Let the man get 100% healthy

It's football. The last day anyone was 100% healthy was the day before full contact drills. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
The Bengals are in a pickle. Play Joe injured or sit him out. Personally, I think he should sit out this week and play next week. At least let him get some rest and healing.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 10:31 PM)Joelist Wrote: So basically forfeit the season because you're scared of Aaron Donald...

You care more about one game or one season then your franchise QB health that we just paid 275 million too.
Reply/Quote
In Burrows words himself he said there are good days and bad days that means he was still injured. The decision to sit Burrow should have been made in the off season before we let him come back to practice. The day they let him come back everyone knew he was not healed, and they let him play anyway. The guy deserves better people around him that look out for him even if Burrow wants to play, he is one of the toughest QB I have ever seen, and he will not take himself out of a game ever no matter how badly he is injured.
Reply/Quote
Sit him for the season and fire any coach whose unit doesn’t finish in the top half of the NFL by end of season.

If this coaching staff is as good as many of the homers on this board claim them to be they should be able to finish in the top half of the NFL.
Reply/Quote
He's going to push to play if he can walk. They might need to save him from himself in this case.

I hate it as much as anyone, but it might be time to toss Browning to the wolves and see what he's capable of in an actual game. If he's as ineffective as many of us believe, then it's time to hit the waiver wire for a backup qb.

The staff came to the conclusion that he was the best option to back Burrow up, so they might as well mess around and find out.

You never know. If Jake looks like a guy that can scratch out a couple of victories in 4 weeks, then maybe you feel a bit more comfortable letting Burrow take some time to heal up.

The dreams of an AFC title game at Paycor are likely shot. We're not there, but we are nearing the point of hoping to sneak into the postseason. That dream is still alive if Browning can drive the car for just a little while.

If he can't, then they are looking at bringing in a veteran (another big gamble) or having 9 play through the injury, which doesn't exactly seem likely to work out in our favor.
Reply/Quote
Burrow strengths are his mobility escaping the pass rush, throwing on the run and making plays with his legs picking up running yards. All of which you need two good legs to do which he does not have at this point or any point since he has been brought back from the injury.

Even when he stays in the pocket, he still has to throw the ball by pushing off that injured leg so his passes will not be as hard and get to the WR in a timely fashion.

The type of injury he has requires it to be fully healed or there is a high chance it will reaggravate and that is exactly where we are at now. The smart choice would have been to not let him come back until he was fully healed.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 12:44 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The Bengals are in a pickle. Play Joe injured or sit him out. Personally, I think he should sit out this week and play next week. At least let him get some rest and healing.

And could we do much worse right now.. he is not playing well or is the team, maybe Browning will bring a spark to this team on Monday
Reply/Quote
If Joe can't go and Jake Browning plays instead, at least we won't have to change his initials when talking about him.

It will still be JB out there QBing for the Bengals.

Hoping for improvement of his calf from the original JB though

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Maybe he was rushed back he hasn't reaggravated it perse The original injury hasn't fully healed. Maybe the recovery time we were given as fans wasn't accurate wouldn't be the first time an organization lied to their fans
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 09:13 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Ok,

Here's my take on what should happen. We've all seen the results of Joe trying to play being unable and/or afraid of planting and running on that bum calf. His throws have no zip, he can't scramble, it's no good.

Sit him until after the bye week.

We have the Rams on MNF. Why let Donald put Joe in the hospital?

Then the Titans whom aren't a high scoring type of deal. Then the Cardinals and they're not among the who's who in the NFL. Then end up with Seahawks.

Lets try and sneak in a couple wins against this not so great competition, three if we're real lucky. More importantly get Joe healed.

Then make a real run over the last 11 games.

Totally agree.  Not optimal but may be the best solution cause that calf is not going to heal while if he continues to play.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 11:13 PM)kevin Wrote: Other teams had good back up QBs.   Bengals will not win a game with their back-up QBs, they are pretty bad. 

Not using the same offense.  Heck, they beat Pittsburgh years ago with Ryan Finley for crying out loud.  They actually established a running game and stuck to it, mucking up the game like Baltimore usually does to us.  Have to play really good on D also.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 11:55 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It's not 1 or 2, it's 5

He had that amount of time off in the preseason.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 08:55 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Maybe he was rushed back he hasn't reaggravated it perse The original injury hasn't fully healed. Maybe the recovery time we were given as fans wasn't accurate wouldn't be the first time an organization lied to their fans

And it's for that reason that I agree with James Rapien: being a soft-tissue injury, who's to say that he sits for 7 weeks, then comes back and doesn't re-aggravate it? It's an unknown and you would probably need to shut him down for multiple MONTHS for it to fully heal on its own, thus you can't project a timeline for it.

Too bad this couldn't be the year that Chris Henry Jr. is coming out (still 3-5 years away from that), otherwise if Joe DID get injured, we could get him as a draft pick.

Still, I would roll with Joe if he feels good and he responds well in practice and sit him if he is having a bad week in terms of pain: the rest/recovery time is just too great to sit him, as he could re-aggravate it walking down the stairs if it hasn't healed enough.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote