Poll: How would a candidate being pro-Reparations for slavery impact your vote, and do you think if a pro-Reparations candidate wins, will it hurt or help Trump's re-election chances?
I would be more likely to vote for them.
It wouldn't change anything.
I would be less likely for vote for them.
Going against a pro-Reparations candidate will help Trump's chances.
A pro-Reparations candidate won't make a difference for Trump's chances.
Going against a pro-Reparations candidate will hurt Trump's chances.
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slavery Reparations and 2020
What about the Slaves of Irish decent? Not all slaves were from Africa. Many came from Ireland too. What about those decedents?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

(04-12-2019, 05:47 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: What about the Slaves of Irish decent?  Not all slaves were from Africa.  Many came from Ireland too.  What about those decedents?

Free Beer?

BTW, is that racist?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(04-12-2019, 05:01 PM)Dill Wrote: Totally agr-- wait . . . who gets the reparations then if we go that far back?  I'm witholding judgment till its clear whether the French owe me for how the Saxons suffered under William I.  Should be getting some land back . . . .

From what little I know of history, yes, you would be owed something. But they, likewise, would owe something. So the only fair way to do it would be to go back to the oldest cultures we can find, and the oldest family we can trace. And whoever that family is, we bill them. If they don't pay, we ... well... we send them to prison, where they can do manual labor for a couple dollars a day. We will pay their room and board though.
(04-12-2019, 06:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Free Beer?

BTW, is that racist?

Just sexist. Only guys drink beer.

Mellow
(04-12-2019, 05:47 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: What about the Slaves of Irish decent?  Not all slaves were from Africa.  Many came from Ireland too.  What about those decedents?

They were not chattel slaves.  They were just indentured servants.  Their culture and society was not destroyed by having their spouses and children sold away from them. 
(04-12-2019, 06:29 PM)Benton Wrote: From what little I know of history, yes, you would be owed something. But they, likewise, would owe something. So the only fair way to do it would be to go back to the oldest cultures we can find, and the oldest family we can trace. And whoever that family is, we bill them. If they don't pay, we ... well... we send them to prison, where they can do manual labor for a couple dollars a day. We will pay their room and board though.

I think 1066 is far enough back.  I'm ok with the French going to prison if they don't pay.  LOL
(04-12-2019, 08:52 PM)Dill Wrote: I think 1066 is far enough back.  I'm ok with the French going to prison if they don't pay.  LOL

Separate country at the time. Sorta. You’re going to have to find some Normans. ie the modern English. Or you could hit up Norway and Denmark.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-12-2019, 06:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Free Beer?

BTW, is that racist?

Good enough for me! :). Sign me up!
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(04-12-2019, 06:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They were not chattel slaves.  They were just indentured servants.  Their culture and society was not destroyed by having their spouses and children sold away from them. 

Well I’m just looking out for my ancestors too. Not many people know about how terrible the Irish had it. I saw Gangs of New York.

Irish slavery is a myth popularized in the 90's by a holocaust denier and perpetuated online by white supremacist groups. Irish historians completely dismiss this American made myth. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/irish-slaves-early-america/

Indentured servants =/= slaves
(04-12-2019, 10:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Irish slavery is a myth popularized in the 90's by a holocaust denier and perpetuated online by white supremacist groups. Irish historians completely dismiss this American made myth. 

All Irish slavery can be traced back to a dude named Jameson. He owns em all.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-12-2019, 09:38 PM)tmichaelsean Wrote: Separate country at the time. Sorta. You’re going to have to find some Normans. ie the modern English.  Or you could hit up Norway and Denmark.

Not a separate country. Normandy was a duchy subject to Henry I; that they fought each other a couple times doesn't change that. That made the whole of England a Valois fiefdom. Or why did we need a Hundred Years War?  No! The French are clearly responsible.  Rant   Where is Arturo? Were you hoping we'd forget after 600 years? 

Norwegians never got beyond Stamford Bridge. But I am not against a claim against Denmark for the Danelaw. A little dangerous going back before 800 ad, though.   Nervous
(04-11-2019, 09:33 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: You race some good questions with this post
Hilarious
(04-12-2019, 10:15 PM)michaelsean Wrote: All Irish slavery can be traced back to a dude named Jameson. He owns em all.

Maybe my wife can get reparations then. Where does he live?
(04-13-2019, 12:06 AM)Dill Wrote: Maybe my wife can get reparations then. Where does he live?

https://www.jamesonwhiskey.com/en-EN/visit-us/jameson-distillery-midleton/jdm-our-home/jdm-plan-your-visit
(04-12-2019, 11:18 PM)Dill Wrote: Not a separate country. Normandy was a duchy subject to Henry I; that they fought each other a couple times doesn't change that. That made the whole of England a Valois fiefdom. Or why did we need a Hundred Years War?  No! The French are clearly responsible.  Rant   Where is Arturo? Were you hoping we'd forget after 600 years? 

Norwegians never got beyond Stamford Bridge. But I am not against a claim against Denmark for the Danelaw. A little dangerous going back before 800 ad, though.   Nervous

No I mean the northern countries produced the Normans.  

(04-10-2019, 07:07 PM)Dill Wrote: Got that right. It would take a generation, but that might be the thing most likely to erase the school achievement gap.  Not just for African-americans.

Baltimore city schools are some of the highest funded in MD. Maybe we should cut their funding to make them closer to the other school systems in MD.  Mellow

Throwing money at a problem often doesn't magically fix it. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(04-15-2019, 10:38 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Baltimore city schools are some of the highest funded in MD. Maybe we should cut their funding to make them closer to the other school systems in MD.  Mellow

Throwing money at a problem often doesn't magically fix it.
LOL Wish people thought that way about funding national defense.

If those getting all that education money just "threw" it at problems then I would agree with you.

But I rather doubt that is all they do.  Few educators see money as the only problem; but since funding is what enables them to address other problems, it has to be a central concern.  And any proposal which evens out inequalities in funding throughout a state's school district ought to receive serious evaluation in light of current research on the relation between school funding and achievement.
(04-15-2019, 02:38 PM)Dill Wrote: LOL Wish people thought that way about funding national defense.

If those getting all that education money just "threw" it at problems then I would agree with you.

But I rather doubt that is all they do.  Few educators see money as the only problem; but since funding is what enables them to address other problems, it has to be a central concern.  And any proposal which evens out inequalities in funding throughout a state's school district ought to receive serious evaluation in light of current research on the relation between school funding and achievement.

I do feel that way about national defense too.  Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]