Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books Set In WWII
There are many works of both Fiction and Nonfiction books out there set during this crazy time in history. I've read many books or stories during this time and here is a list of my favorites.

Also, since there is no book section in the forums, I figured I would put this thread here.

1. "I Am David" by Anne Holm. There is another title to this book "North to Freedom". I read this book in fourth or fifth grade at St. Cathrines of Siena Catholic School. It's a good book and recommend it to elementary students and adults. It's about a Jewish/Arian boy who's mother is Jewish and father is a Nazi who runs a death camp and his father gets him out of the camp. The story is of this boys journey north through Europe during the war.

2. "Zvi" by Elwood McQuaid. I actually met the man who this book is about back in the 90's and is a fascinating book. This is another book that can be read by both children and adults although this one goes into more detail about the Warsaw Ghetto.

3. "The Hiding Place" by Corrie ten Boom. What a fantastic book and again is suitable for children. This is about a family in Amsterdam(?), I don't remember exactly, who creates a false wall in their home to hide a family of Jews.

4. "Mother Night" by Kurt Vonnegut. This one may not be suitable for children but it is rather funny. I mean, "The Black Furer of Harlam" lol, enough said. There is also a movie which stars Nick Nolte as Howard W. Campbell.

The first three I listed are Christian/Catholic books just so you know before you read.
Reply/Quote
I don't watch or read a lot of war fiction. Just personal preference, I don't think it should be entertainment.

But for non-fiction, one of my favorite WWII books is http://www.amazon.com/Pogues-War-Diaries-Combat-Historian/dp/0813191602. Great read.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I read "Jacob the Liar" and it was just depressing.

I really liked "Mother Night". I like a lot of Vonnegut. His classic "Slaughterhouse 5" is also set in WWII and deals a lot with the bombing of Dresden.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 06:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I read "Jacob the Liar" and it was just depressing.

I really liked "Mother Night".  I like a lot of Vonnegut.  His classic "Slaughterhouse 5" is also set in WWII and deals a lot with the bombing of Dresden.

The only one I read was "Mother Night", I'll have to read "Slaughterhouse 5" now so thanks, as if my plate isn't already full, lol.

By the way, is there still a part of Dresden that is left as a memorial and reminder of WWII? I thought I read somewhere that part of the city was left untouched and not rebuilt. I've seen pictures and the devastation from the bombing there is just unreal.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 06:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I really liked "Mother Night". I like a lot of Vonnegut. His classic "Slaughterhouse 5" is also set in WWII and deals a lot with the bombing of Dresden.

As a teen I had read Cat's Cradle and was discussing it with a teacher who told me that if liked that book I'd love Slaughterhouse Five. Not sure how that one got by me, but after reading it I went on a spree gobbling up all the Vonnegut books I could find. Loved that man's "warped" sense of humor.

My favorite WWII book of all time though (just edging out Slaughterhouse) is Catch-22.. It's so effective at capturing the complete horror and dark comedy of war. Put it on your book bucket list if you've not already read it.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 10:51 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: My favorite WWII book of all time though (just edging out Slaughterhouse) is Catch-22..  It's so effective at capturing the complete horror and dark comedy of war.   Put it on your book bucket list if you've not already read it.

X2
Reply/Quote
My daughter has read "The Book Thief" twice and keeps telling me it is the best book ever. I will probably read it just so I can discuss it with her.
Reply/Quote