Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green skipping team meetings
(12-30-2016, 08:59 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: There are plenty reasons to ***** about Lewis and brown. This is not one of them. I would not let him play either.

Rep.
Reply/Quote
Not worried about AJ one bit. Some of you just need something to ***** about.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Since the PFT thing came out after my comment, I'll add this:

Yes, he thought he was going to play in Houston. They flew down, and on Friday afternoon they had an organizational meeting where multiple doctors told ownership that by playing against the Texans he COULD tear his healing hamstring off the bone - which would require surgery. Not that he would, but that there was an "inordinate risk" of that happening. The team said, nope, you're not playing. A.J. then asked to go home on Christmas Eve, and the team allowed that to happen. Why? Because every other injured player was allowed that same courtesy. He was not pulled from a team meeting. He did not storm away unhappy.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/12/24/what-happened-with-the-cincinnati-bengals-and-aj-green-in-houston/95824856/

In that meeting, the club told Green he was done for the year. No, he was not officially put on IR like Eifert and Boling. Who knows why. Who cares, really.
But, he was done.
So, as far him missing meetings, as for players "who normally are injured don't miss meetings" -- that is all subjective. There is no way to know what was excused, what wasn't, etc. Green has been at PBS this week. You know what actually made him mad? Seeing that PFT headline. So much so he told the club to tell us it was "not true." In all of this, that's the thing that is most unlike A.J. He'll talk to us, but he doesn't really like to. So the fact he felt he had to have that addressed speaks more volumes to me than any of this other stuff.

Hopefully he's around Monday before the team takes off, but so much of this overblown, totally inaccurate, or partial truths.

But as one of you said earlier - when you're 5-9-1, this is what happens.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Thanks again, Jim. Knowing our history (so many players asking to be traded - especially after disappointing seasons), it's understandable to have some worry that AJ may grow disgruntled. He seems like a classy and loyal guy though, so it's good to know that he's not upset with the team.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, thanks again Jim O. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2016, 12:58 AM)hoosierbengal Wrote: I don't understand how this is Mike Brown penny pinching. Are you saying they are keeping him from reaching a contract incentive thus saving Brown money?
Yes. Not incentive per say but a another stat on AJ's resume when it comes to contract talks.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 11:38 PM)Older Than You Wrote: Yes. Not incentive per say but a another stat on AJ's resume when it comes to contract talks.

This. By not letting AJ get to 1,000 yards to match Randy Moss, Mike Brown has taken away a big bargaining chip for Green. Had Green not gotten hurt, Mike Brown would not have done anything to keep him from tying Moss's record. But, since the opportunity fell in his lap, Brown's not going to pass it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 11:38 PM)Older Than You Wrote: Yes. Not incentive per say but a another stat on AJ's resume when it comes to contract talks.

(01-01-2017, 02:00 PM)bjf123 Wrote: This. By not letting AJ get to 1,000 yards to match Randy Moss, Mike Brown has taken away a big bargaining chip for Green. Had Green not gotten hurt, Mike Brown would not have done anything to keep him from tying Moss's record. But, since the opportunity fell in his lap, Brown's not going to pass it up.

This is just ridiculous.

I am guessing most other teams would have done exactly what the Bengals are doing with Green.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 11:38 PM)Older Than You Wrote: Yes. Not incentive per say but a another stat on AJ's resume when it comes to contract talks.

I don't really agree with that. I think that is a fun stat the media and fans like to talk about which I think happens quite often. In the end it is only 36 yards. When negotiating a deal I seriously doubt that will make a difference. AJ's camp knows he could have played and so do the Bengals. I don't think anyone thinks any less of AJ because he fell 36 yards short of turning his yardage total in a four digit number.

Who is a better player A or B,

Player A 
66 receptions 964yds 4 tds

Player B
67 receptions 1000 4tds

Not much of a difference.

Now what if he had played and made a 36 yard catch to get him 1000 yards and severely reinjured his leg requiring surgery? The 36 yards would have seemed even smaller in my opinion. I am sure many would be bashing the Bengals for letting their star receiver play in a otherwise meaningless game. Granted I am sure a hammy injury wouldn't have been career ending but professional players would prefer not to have injuries requiring surgery. There are always risk associated with that. Just a look at it from the other side.
Reply/Quote