Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, Cincinnati...
(08-30-2016, 01:15 PM)hollodero Wrote: Cincideutsch Christkindlmarkt. Now isn't that something.

Actually, nothing.
I still wonder what serves as "beer" there. That's my basic concern.

All kinds of things....craft breweries, etc. Cincy has Moerlien, Mt. Carmel, and Rheingiest off the top of my head. Bud and Bud Light aren't the only things available on the shelves here ya know. Tongue

In fact, most of our breweries were originally started by German immigrants, and in Newport (across the river from Cincy) is an offshoot of Munich's own Hofbrauhaus, were beer is brewed on site, and they have a bier garten as well.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 11:49 PM)hollodero Wrote: Sorry if my tone seems harsh. But, 18th rudest city. What goes around, comes around. Still love you, of course.

...Jerry Springer was your mayor??

So many questions.

(08-30-2016, 01:19 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: First off We were voted 3rd meanest City....

Sources?  I did a search for both "rudest" and "meanest" and Cincy didn't show in the results when it wan't put in for a search term.  So most lists don't include the city, I'd like to see the list and how it was compiled (more so out of curiosity, I can probably name at least 18 cities I've been in that would seem more rude and mean).

As far as Springer, there is no more proof necessary that the best part of the Cincy metro area is south of the river since "we" didn't elect something like that to mayor.  But NKY usually allows the Ohio side think they are superior.

(08-30-2016, 11:32 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Is this guy serious? 

Well a recent thread is reminiscing about past members.  When he first joined the old board Adam, uh, I mean, Hollodero was thought to be a new name for the most elaborate and persistent troll of the old board and a few of those names were mentioned in the reminiscing thread (some weren't even connected).  Maybe he feels nostalgic?
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 02:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Now I feel bad about being so mean.

Liar... you really aren't. And I get it, you guys need to defend a ranking. Plus, there's evidence I had it coming.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 02:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: All kinds of things....craft breweries, etc. Cincy has Moerlien, Mt. Carmel, and Rheingiest off the top of my head. Bud and Bud Light aren't the only things available on the shelves here ya know. Tongue

How would I know. All I know is what's on the internet.
Glad to hear, though.

(08-30-2016, 02:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: In fact, most of our breweries were originally started by German immigrants, and in Newport (across the river from Cincy) is an offshoot of Munich's own Hofbrauhaus, were beer is brewed on site, and they have a bier garten as well.

That all starts to sound more and more delightful, I got to say. I will accompany any possible future mockery with eben enlarged respect on the inside.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 03:32 PM)Penn Wrote: Sources?

Here you go. And you see, this ranking is from readers of the travel + leisure magazine. So not just any folk.

(08-30-2016, 03:32 PM)Penn Wrote: As far as Springer, there is no more proof necessary that the best part of the Cincy metro area is south of the river since "we" didn't elect something like that to mayor.  But NKY usually allows the Ohio side think they are superior.

Now is that true, Ohio side? Do you think you're superior? And if so, on what grounds?

(08-30-2016, 03:32 PM)Penn Wrote: Well a recent thread is reminiscing about past members.  When he first joined the old board Adam, uh, I mean, Hollodero was thought to be a new name for the most elaborate and persistent troll of the old board and a few of those names were mentioned in the reminiscing thread (some weren't even connected).  Maybe he feels nostalgic?

Sure, buddy.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 05:28 PM)hollodero Wrote: How would I know. All I know is what's on the internet.
Glad to hear, though.

I know you wouldn't know.....hence the emoticon. Wink

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 06:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: I know you wouldn't know.....hence the emoticon. Wink

Clever! ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 05:42 PM)hollodero Wrote: Here you go. And you see, this ranking is from readers of the travel + leisure magazine. So not just any folk.

Now is that true, Ohio side? Do you think you're superior? And if so, on what grounds?

Sure, buddy.

The Ohio side is superior because we don't go to family reunions to find a spouse.
Reply/Quote
Covington Has the stronger German culture and architecture. I spent a few years in Germany, but think America, with it's up and coming craft beer culture, is more interesting on the tastebuds. There is some good beer being produced from these guys. Hope you get to try it sometime.

Reply/Quote
We are the only city in the US that has ever heard of goetta.

And if you look at the rules of most red chili competitions, Cincy chili is absolutely chili
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 12:05 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: The Ohio side is superior because we don't go to family reunions to find a spouse.

Joke's on you.....a lot of folks in industrialized cities in Ohio and Indiana (especially the southern cities) are transplants from Appalachia during the Industrial Revolution and beyond....chances are, you come from the same trees.

[Image: Family-guy-the-more-you-know.jpg]

Which would explain your inability to read those huge signs that say "Keep right except to pass", or "Slower traffic keep right" Ninja

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 09:01 AM)Wyche Wrote: Joke's on you.....a lot of folks in industrialized cities in Ohio and Indiana (especially the southern cities) are transplants from Appalachia during the Industrial Revolution and beyond....chances are, you come from the same trees.

Wait, I don't get it. (And I'd so much like to solve the puzzle as which Cincinnati residents are the most incestuous. That stuff's important!)

Folks from the Ohio side are transplants from the same region, therefore they're potentially related to each other?
Couldn't something like that be said about most cities in the US? Everywhere there are a lot of folks who were transplanted from the same region, be it Appalachia, Ireland, Germany or whatever.

Folks from the non-Ohio side, however, from what I've learned here, are visiting family reunions to find a spouse. That seems far worse. Or, as we would say back here, aristocratic.

PS I don't want to offend anyone for no reason. And thinking about it, there is a chance that the statement above was just a lie. How would I know, I'm just a clueless foreigner.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 11:22 AM)hollodero Wrote: Wait, I don't get it. (And I'd so much like to solve the puzzle as which Cincinnati residents are the most incestuous. That stuff's important!)

Folks from the Ohio side are transplants from the same region, therefore they're potentially related to each other?
Couldn't something like that be said about most cities in the US? Everywhere there are a lot of folks who were transplanted from the same region, be it Appalachia, Ireland, Germany or whatever.

Folks from the non-Ohio side, however, from what I've learned here, are visiting family reunions to find a spouse. That seems far worse. Or, as we would say back here, aristocratic.

PS I don't want to offend anyone for no reason. And thinking about it, there is a chance that the statement above was just a lie. How would I know, I'm just a clueless foreigner.

It's a joke.....or it should be.  You see, a few folks from Ohio look down their noses at us "poor, dumb hillbillies" just miles down the road from them.  While most of it is good old fashioned, light hearted, and good natured clowning around and "smack talk", there are those who have some sort of superiority complex.

There were small villages and burgs back in earlier centuries in the Appalachian Mtn range where the gene pool wasn't very deep, hell there weren't many folks to choose from!  This is just a continuation of that ridicule.  These days, this rarely, if ever, actually happens, as Kentucky and other Appalachian states have their own metro areas, and "outsiders" have long since moved in, and folks from these regions have moved out.  Shit, my own wife is a "Buckeye".

Now, as for the rest, when the Industrial Revolution dawned, and we moved from an agrarian society to one of mechanization, the factories mostly originated up north.  With that being the case, tons of folks from these areas migrated north to find work in the factories once most of their land had been "bought" or seized for mineral rights (see coal).  I have quite a few distant relatives, and some close ones who did just that in the 40s-70s.  So you see, it stands to reason, that the very people these folks are making fun of, may just be down the line in their very own ancestry. ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 12:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: It's a joke.....or it should be.  You see, a few folks from Ohio look down their noses at us "poor, dumb hillbillies" just miles down the road from them.  While most of it is good old fashioned, light hearted, and good natured clowning around and "smack talk", there are those who have some sort of superiority complex.

There were small villages and burgs back in earlier centuries in the Appalachian Mtn range where the gene pool wasn't very deep, hell there weren't many folks to choose from!  This is just a continuation of that ridicule.  These days, this rarely, if ever, actually happens, as Kentucky and other Appalachian states have their own metro areas, and "outsiders" have long since moved in, and folks from these regions have moved out.  Shit, my own wife is a "Buckeye".

Now, as for the rest, when the Industrial Revolution dawned, and we moved from an agrarian society to one of mechanization, the factories mostly originated up north.  With that being the case, tons of folks from these areas migrated north to find work in the factories once most of their land had been "bought" or seized for mineral rights (see coal).  I have quite a few distant relatives, and some close ones who did just that in the 40s-70s.  So you see, it stands to reason, that the very people these folks are making fun of, may just be down the line in their very own ancestry. ThumbsUp

Got it. So basically, when some Ohio folk imply the Kentucky side's ancestry is an incestry, you reply theirs might be too on the very same grounds. Interesting.

OK, some more questions. Why is there a "National Underground Railway Freedom Center" close to the stadium? A national underground railway freedom center? That is confusing. How did the word freedom get into a national underground railway center and do you really need a center like that, and if so, why?

Plus, some more puzzling stuff. How comes you call a whole quarter "Over the Rhine", when my research discovered that the river is actually the Ohio River. German ancestry fine and well, but it's just not the Rhine! You got that one all wrong. Talking of rivers, don't call a river "Licking River". That's just a stupid name for a river. And for anything else apart from ice cream.

Finally, there seems to be a town called "Delhi". Is that some kind of Indian reservation, only for actual Indians? That all is so confusing.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 02:01 PM)hollodero Wrote: 1) Got it. So basically, when some Ohio folk imply the Kentucky side's ancestry is an incestry, you reply theirs might be too on the very same grounds. Interesting.

2) OK, some more questions. Why is there a "National Underground Railway Freedom Center" close to the stadium? A national underground railway freedom center? That is confusing. How did the word freedom get into a national underground railway center and do you really need a center like that, and if so, why?

3) Plus, some more puzzling stuff. How comes you call a whole quarter "Over the Rhine", when my research discovered that the river is actually the Ohio River. German ancestry fine and well, but it's just not the Rhine! You got that one all wrong. Talking of rivers, don't call a river "Licking River". That's just a stupid name for a river. And for anything else apart from ice cream.

4) Finally, there seems to be a town called "Delhi". Is that some kind of Indian reservation, only for actual Indians? That all is so confusing.

1) Yep

2) The "Underground Railroad wasn't a railroad at all.  It was a system of safe houses and actual tunnels that were used to facilitate the escape of slaves from the south.  These were white sympathizers and black slaves alike.  If you have more interest in the subject, research Harriet Tubman.

3) I'm sure that's just a play on words to accentuate the German heritage.  As for the Licking River, my guess it would be in reference to the natural salt licks in the area that wildlife would often use.  

4) I have no idea, but no, it's not a reservation.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 02:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: 2) The "Underground Railroad wasn't a railroad at all.  It was a system of safe houses and actual tunnels that were used to facilitate the escape of slaves from the south.  These were white sympathizers and black slaves alike.  If you have more interest in the subject, research Harriet Tubman.

OK, no more pseudo-confused remarks about that one then.
I heard about Harriet Tubman, she will be on one of your bills soon. Not that there is any further point to it, I just want to brag that I heard about her.

(08-31-2016, 02:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: 3) I'm sure that's just a play on words to accentuate the German heritage.  As for the Licking River, my guess it would be in reference to the natural salt licks in the area that wildlife would often use.  

I'm sure it is. It's still strange. As for the licking river, whatever the explanation, the name remains stupid. That is my objective assessment.

(08-31-2016, 02:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: 4) I have no idea, but no, it's not a reservation.

I figured, really, I kinda did. Delhi is just weird. Could have called it New Delhi. Or New New Delhi.
I'm basically always amused that you call the natives Indians, as if you would still not quite believe they actually aren't and Columbus did actually not make it to India.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 02:32 PM)hollodero Wrote: OK, no more pseudo-confused remarks about that one then.
I heard about Harriet Tubman, she will be on one of your bills soon. Not that there is any further point to it, I just want to brag that I heard about her.

I'm sure it is. It's still strange. As for the licking river, whatever the explanation, the name remains stupid. That is my objective assessment.

I figured, really, I kinda did. Delhi is just weird. Could have called it New Delhi. Or New New Delhi.
I'm basically always amused that you call the natives Indians, as if you would still not quite believe they actually aren't and Columbus did actually not make it to India.

We call them Native Americans ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
Wasn't this thread about beer and pretzels? Confused
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
We would make fun of Austria, but the only thing we know about it is that during WWII people would just randomly start singing during conversations. Ninja
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 02:01 PM)hollodero Wrote: Got it. So basically, when some Ohio folk imply the Kentucky side's ancestry is an incestry, you reply theirs might be too on the very same grounds. Interesting.

OK, some more questions. Why is there a "National Underground Railway Freedom Center" close to the stadium? A national underground railway freedom center? That is confusing. How did the word freedom get into a national underground railway center and do you really need a center like that, and if so, why?

Plus, some more puzzling stuff. How comes you call a whole quarter "Over the Rhine", when my research discovered that the river is actually the Ohio River. German ancestry fine and well, but it's just not the Rhine! You got that one all wrong. Talking of rivers, don't call a river "Licking River". That's just a stupid name for a river. And for anything else apart from ice cream.

Finally, there seems to be a town called "Delhi". Is that some kind of Indian reservation, only for actual Indians? That all is so confusing.

The neighborhood's distinctive name comes from its builders and early residents, Germanimmigrants of the mid-19th century. Many walked to work across bridges over the Miami and Erie Canal, which separated the area from downtown Cincinnati. The canal was nicknamed "the Rhine" in reference to the Rhine River in Germany, and the newly settled area north of the canal as "Over the Rhine."[3][4] In German, the district was called "über den Rhein."

This post was brought to you from River road, just a stones throw from Delhi.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote