Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, Cincinnati...
(09-01-2016, 12:24 AM)hollodero Wrote: Better.

Vienna, Austria.

The land of Hitler.....you must be so proud.....at least the hills are alive with the sound of music. Amirite?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 02:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: The land of Hitler.....you must be so proud.....at least the hills are alive with the sound of music. Amirite?

Jean Claude Van Damme. 

Born a mere 686 miles from Vienna Austria.

Embarrassing...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
This thread sucks.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 02:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: Amirite?

Almost exclusively never... Tongue

First off, we have greater music tradition, no one here knows the Trapp family, no one here cares about the Trapp family and I have a hard time catching the references. What's up with Americans and the Trapp family? You're under some kind of peculiar spell?
Second, no I am seldomly proud of my country, and I'm not proud of many of our contributions to the world. Pride is something you do not really develop here if you have the tendency to think and reflect. I'd rather not address evildoers Germany actually voted for. Because what fun is that. You want to badmouth me, think about what we're about to vote for right now like fred did, that should be golden enough.
Then again, you might find yourself throwing stones in a glass house.

(09-01-2016, 10:55 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: This thread sucks.

Sorry you feel that way. I guess you had better visit another thread, then.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 11:38 AM)hollodero Wrote: Almost exclusively never...  Tongue

First off, we have greater music tradition, no one here knows the Trapp family, no one here cares about the Trapp family and I have a hard time catching the references. What's up with Americans and the Trapp family? You're under some kind of peculiar spell?

Who the hell is the Trapp family? Confused
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 12:20 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Who the hell is the Trapp family? Confused

Spoken like a true Austrian.
Sound of music. It's a musical about this singing Austrian family that emigrated into the US.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 12:35 PM)hollodero Wrote: Spoken like a true Austrian.
Sound of music. It's a musical about this singing Austrian family that emigrated into the US.

Ahhhh.....got it.  Never saw it nor understood it's apparent popularity with my folks generation.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 12:35 PM)hollodero Wrote: Spoken like a true Austrian.

Swiss Family Robinson?  Ninja
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 12:45 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Ahhhh.....got it.  Never saw it nor understood it's apparent popularity with my folks generation.

ThumbsUp good for you.

(09-01-2016, 12:45 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Swiss Family Robinson?  Ninja

See, that is SWITZERLAND. The land in the Alps that is small, always neutral, claims to bear no blame for the Nazi era, hates foreigners, makes money with business, tourism and shady money transfers, where the right wing is on the rise, the people are petty and small-minded... you see.

Whereas I'm from AUSTRIA. The land in the Alps that is small, always neutral, claims to bear no blame for the Nazi era, hates fo... --- ah ****.
Reply/Quote
Good ole Jerry Springer...the mayor who wrote a bad check for the services of a hooker, lol.

Cincinnati has or had a large German population that mostly settle just north of downtown...that's why it's called Over the Rhine.

Cincinnati used to be the "Sausage Capital" as well with lots of pork products. Khans used to be on Spring Grove and I haven't been down there for 30 years so it might still be there. The stock yards in the summer were something to behold. 

Oh who cares though.

Man, I'm becoming more and more cynical in my old age, I just don't care anymore.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 12:58 PM)hollodero Wrote: ThumbsUp good for you.

See, that is SWITZERLAND. The land in the Alps that is small, always neutral, claims to bear no blame for the Nazi era, hates foreigners, makes money with business, tourism and shady money transfers, where the right wing is on the rise, the people are petty and small-minded... you see.

Whereas I'm from AUSTRIA. The land in the Alps that is small, always neutral, claims to bear no blame for the Nazi era, hates fo... --- ah ****.

Can't forget the Austrian Oak, Arnold Schwartzenegger.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 01:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Can't forget the Austrian Oak, Arnold Schwartzenegger.

First, it's Styrian Oak, second, you spelled him wrong, third, both doesn't matter to me at all.

His home town named a soccer arena after him. Big deal, Arnie was there, mainly proving that he became incapable of speaking any language correctly, still great joy. Then the mayor of this town threatened Schwarzenegger to take down his name if he continued his policies in California. Then Arnie came and took the name away himself. Welcome to the land of Schnitzel.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 08:54 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Lulz.....sure thing champ.  Well , I call them Native Americans....or by their tribe name.  You see....there's some of us ol hillbillies that intermingled with Natives to avoid incest.  My great grandmother was 3/4 Cherokee.  My favorite NCAAF team is the Seminoles. Wink

I have no idea....since I am from several miles further south....but I'd wager Indian Hills was named before the days of PC. I know the subdivision in my hometown by that name was developed in the late 50s/early 60s.

Most of the tribes prefer tribal names, but they are actually split on whether they prefer Native Americans or American Indians, it's a very interesting topic, really. All depends on who you talk to.

(09-01-2016, 11:38 AM)hollodero Wrote: First off, we have greater music tradition, no one here knows the Trapp family, no one here cares about the Trapp family and I have a hard time catching the references. What's up with Americans and the Trapp family? You're under some kind of peculiar spell?

I have a feeling it is because they ended up in the US and so the American public is infatuated with them. Possibly because it somehow validates the feelings of American exceptionalism some people tend to harbor because they remained here rather than returning after the war.

(09-01-2016, 12:58 PM)hollodero Wrote: See, that is SWITZERLAND. The land in the Alps that is small, always neutral, claims to bear no blame for the Nazi era, hates foreigners, makes money with business, tourism and shady money transfers, where the right wing is on the rise, the people are petty and small-minded... you see.

I was about to say, didn't you all have an election recently where a member of a party founded by former Nazis almost gained some power? Isn't their a re-election coming up for that on 02 Oct?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Also where every barn door shields anti-aircraft guns and missile launchers   Ninja
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote

So what your saying is you drink a lot of Steigel? 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 02:49 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: So what your saying is you drink a lot of Steigel? 

I don't know about Austria specifically, but I know the beer culture in Germany tends to focus on local flavors. There are big brands that export and that you can find just about anywhere, but essentially what we are experiencing now with the craft beer culture here is what has been going on in Germany all along. Just, more about the basics and less about the weird.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 11:38 AM)hollodero Wrote: Almost exclusively never...  Tongue

Second, no I am seldomly proud of my country, and I'm not proud of many of our contributions to the world. Pride is something you do not really develop here if you have the tendency to think and reflect. I'd rather not address evildoers Germany actually voted for. Because what fun is that. You want to badmouth me, think about what we're about to vote for right now like fred did, that should be golden enough.
Then again, you might find yourself throwing stones in a glass house.

Sorry you feel that way. I guess you had better visit another thread, then.

I believe it's von Trapp.  Apparently, they actually existed.  And somehow, Marry Poppins helped them escape the Nazis, who were after them because they were just too damned adorable.  And they might have had a singing group. And something about the hills being alive with the sounds of Nazis.

And in Cincinnati, we consume mass quantities of beer at church festivals, if that tells you anything.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 02:01 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Most of the tribes prefer tribal names, but they are actually split on whether they prefer Native Americans or American Indians, it's a very interesting topic, really. All depends on who you talk to.

Sure it does. Originally, I didn't refer to that aspect. I referred to the fact that you still widely refer to them as if they were people from India. There certainly was one point in history where "Americans" seemed to say "OK, it's becoming too evident, this is obviously NOT India and you are definitely NOT Indians. But on the other hand... we USED to think that you're Indians in former times. So what to do? Guess we keep calling you Indians. It's history!" --- from the outside, that is not without some irony. It seems like a very - American thing to do. History is tru... ehm, history wins it.
Also see: Redskins, Washington. Talking about "Native Americans".

(09-01-2016, 02:01 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have a feeling it is because they ended up in the US and so the American public is infatuated with them. Possibly because it somehow validates the feelings of American exceptionalism some people tend to harbor because they remained here rather than returning after the war.

Yeah... I mean, there might be truth to it somehow... but then again, some of our finest people were later charged with being Communists. That certainly was not an universal feeling or welcome.
But I wouldn't really know how immigrants or refugees were viewed back then, probably mainly positive. Times certainly changed.

(09-01-2016, 02:01 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I was about to say, didn't you all have an election recently where a member of a party founded by former Nazis almost gained some power? Isn't their a re-election coming up for that on 02 Oct?

Since you even know the date, I guess you already know that this is accurate. Well, almost. Hard to straighten it out here, just two things. Three, because a) it's a disgrace. b) Major parties more or less tanked this election, so in the second round it became right-wing populist vs. grumpy green party grandpa. And you have to know best how it can be with the choices you have. c) we already voted for grandpa, I will do it again, but then again, don't overestimate the power that is to be gained. We vote for a "president", but his effective power is close to none. He can delay and annoy the government and say hello to folks, much like the Queen I guess.
Reply/Quote
On the relationship between beer, more specifically German beer, and Cincinnati--

http://cincinnatiusa.com/article/built-beer-cincinnati-usas-brewing-history

Click the first link.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 02:49 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: So what your saying is you drink a lot of Steigel? 

You mean that one?
[Image: sttiegl_goldbrau_bet_png.png?itok=AM8C3nDl]
Reply/Quote