Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, I've stopped drinking
I haven't had a drink in about 5 months. I went from 217 down to 190. But I've actually been running and working out, etc. Plus eating healthy. My whole life, I've loved to get drunk. It's always been a love/hate thing like Denny and Joe from Flo's bromance. Now that Football season is creeping up, I'm not sure what to do. Like, what am I gonna do with my hands during the games? I can't remember the last time I've been sober for a game. Anyone else stop drinking?
Reply/Quote
Congrats, bro!

I only drink a couple of times a year. And that is usually just a single beer or a single wine. Once I got out of school. It just didn't interest me that much.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 12:03 PM)The Dangler Wrote: I haven't had a drink in about 5 months. I went from 217 down to 190. But I've actually been running and working out, etc. Plus eating healthy. My whole life, I've loved to get drunk. It's always been a love/hate thing like Denny and Joe from Flo's bromance. Now that Football season is creeping up, I'm not sure what to do. Like, what am I gonna do with my hands during the games? I can't remember the last time I've been sober for a game. Anyone else stop drinking?

Ive thought about giving up drinking many times, but I just cant bring myself to do it. 

I get tired of waking up on Monday mornings for work feeling like dog shit. I actually took last weekend off from drinking and woke up Monday morning feeling great. 

It's just so hard to be social and not drink. My friends and I's entire social life is based around going out and getting drunk. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 12:07 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Congrats, bro!

I only drink a couple of times a year. And that is usually just a single beer or a single wine. Once I got out of school. It just didn't interest me that much.

Thanks. The thing is, it doesn't interest me much anymore. But certain things just trigger that desire. Football and cookouts mainly. 
Reply/Quote
Well I used to drink about 2 bottles of bourbon or scotch per week for the last 2-3 years.

I went for my physical earlier this year and was developing a fatty liver. nothing too bad, but enough that it came up on the ultrasound. so i pretty much curbed the weekday warrior stuff. I still have a drink or two on the weekends, but Monday through Thursday I do not. Also, instead of straight booze all the time, i go with something like red wine with a nice meal or a beer or two instead. I'm assuming 8 ounces of wine is less damaging than 8 ounces of Woodford Reserve neat.

a bottle of scotch/bourbon now lasts about a month or month and a half.

I have yet to lose a pound doing so mind you. I live a fairly healthy lifestyle out side of the drinks. But i have noticed i sleep much better at night.

unless you have major health issues because of the drinking try limiting it to weekends and games? its easier on your wallet and it gives you something to look forward too.

i can't wait to have that bottle of red tomorrow with the old lady and a nice dinner.
Reply/Quote
Can't Stop....Won't Stop!

[Image: diddy-meme-generator-can-t-stop-won-t-st...216a99.jpg]
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
Can't really give you any advice without knowing why you quit.

And I understand if you don't want to get into that.

But my advice is to smoke a lot of weed instead of drinking.
Reply/Quote
I quit drinking, but it was a long time ago, and I really didn't have much of a choice. It was bad.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't drink anymore, I don't drink any less.

-Ringo Starr
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 12:09 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Ive thought about giving up drinking many times, but I just cant bring myself to do it. 

I get tired of waking up on Monday mornings for work feeling like dog shit. I actually took last weekend off from drinking and woke up Monday morning feeling great. 

It's just so hard to be social and not drink. My friends and I's entire social life is based around going out and getting drunk. 

This is not an accusation, but at some point you need to grow up and do something with your social life other than get drunk.  It isn't healthy and you'll find some of your friends really aren't your friends cause you can't stand them sober.

And if there's nothing to do for a social life but get drunk, then you must live in Appalachia, where drink and/or have sex pretty much defines the social life.

With that said, I drank like a fish in HS and college. Drank no more than 2-3x a year for the past 15 years. And I drink not at all now, due to my diet. I might drink some on my next vacation. I like wine with good meals.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 12:10 PM)The Dangler Wrote: Thanks. The thing is, it doesn't interest me much anymore. But certain things just trigger that desire. Football and cookouts mainly. 

If you keep it to just the fball games, that's only drinking 9 times a year (8 homes games and 1 home playoff loss).  Not bad.  Just set boundaries for yourself.  As others said, make it a treat, not a social activity.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 03:16 PM)Stewy Wrote: If you keep it to just the fball games, that's only drinking 9 times a year (8 homes games and 1 home playoff loss).  Not bad.  Just set boundaries for yourself.  As others said, make it a treat, not a social activity.

That's some solid advice. I'm gonna try to go without, but we shall see. 
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 03:11 PM)Stewy Wrote: This is not an accusation, but at some point you need to grow up and do something with your social life other than get drunk.  It isn't healthy and you'll find some of your friends really aren't your friends cause you can't stand them sober.

And if there's nothing to do for a social life but get drunk, then you must live in Appalachia, where drink and/or have sex pretty much defines the social life.

With that said, I drank like a fish in HS and college.  Drank no more than 2-3x a year for the past 15 years.  And I drink not at all now, due to my diet.  I might drink some on my next vacation.  I like wine with good meals.

I do it because its fun. Thanks though, dad. 
Reply/Quote
I quit drinking. About 11:30 last night.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 03:30 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I do it because its fun. 

X2

The only reason that I don't drink much anymore is because I have a kid now.  Up until two years ago though....it was pretty common occurrence. 
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I drink because I have kids. To the op good job and keep up the good work. I need to stop but I'm not ready yet.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 12:10 PM)The Dangler Wrote: Thanks. The thing is, it doesn't interest me much anymore. But certain things just trigger that desire. Football and cookouts mainly. 

As a former smoker, I know that feeling exactly. That is the hardest thing to break!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote

The Bengals cause me to drink as well. 
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 04:39 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: As a former smoker, I know that feeling exactly. That is the hardest thing to break!

former smoker as well Zona....you wanna talk about something hard to quit?  it was so bad, the thought of going through that again stops me from every having another cig. 

plus my new gf doesn't like it at all so it wouldn't be fair to her to spark up again.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 12:03 PM)The Dangler Wrote: I haven't had a drink in about 5 months. I went from 217 down to 190. But I've actually been running and working out, etc. Plus eating healthy. My whole life, I've loved to get drunk. It's always been a love/hate thing like Denny and Joe from Flo's bromance. Now that Football season is creeping up, I'm not sure what to do. Like, what am I gonna do with my hands during the games? I can't remember the last time I've been sober for a game. Anyone else stop drinking?

Damn man that sucks. Lol just kidding but I've been there before when I was serious about lifting. 

Now I just eat good and workout a couple days a week so when the weekend comes after the work week....you bet your ass I'm drinking some cold ones with some buddies. Do you need alcohol for social events? Of course not, someones got to be the DD. 

Is drinking healthy? Of course not but what the hell is....we live in America lol.

So man up and drink some beer for the game, you deserve it. 
Reply/Quote