Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So, afer 16 years, what does a total coaching revamp get us??
A good chance to be on Hard Knocks is what I am thinking!!!!!
Reply/Quote
Hmm...You know, I'd like to see Taylor in action. It is extraordinarily unusual to go from a position coach to a head coach, so I'd love to see in him what others do. Him being on camera gives us an opportunity to see his "genius."

Until then I will be forced to remain skeptical.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 11:12 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Hmm...You know, I'd like to see Taylor in action. It is extraordinarily unusual to go from a position coach to a head coach, so I'd love to see in him what others do. Him being on camera gives us an opportunity to see his "genius."

Until then I will be forced to remain skeptical.

I'm not sold on it being Taylor. The gang at PBS are notorious for not leaking. I'm starting to think the reporters are floating these coaching rumors to see if they can get some reaction. It may be Taylor, but I'm not convinced yet and won't be surprised if it is, but won't be surprised if it's Eric.
Reply/Quote
I like that. This is an exciting time to be a Bengal fan.

It could have been just another offseason with Marvin.

I don't hate Marvin, he made a very good job, I have some very good moments with him at HC and terrible ones too but the spirit had to change and only a full house cleaning can get rid of something Marvin in this organisation. He drafted some players who already retired. I've never seen a Bengal game without Marvin at HC and I'm here for 15 years I guess.

I like that, I really like that. Bring something new.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 11:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: A good chance to be on Hard Knocks is what I am thinking!!!!!

It gives us hope as at times change can be great. But in the NFL, it seems to not work out great more times than it works out great. I am sure Denver was thrilled when hey hired Joseph just 2 years ago. McVay worked out great, but is he the exception rather than the rule. Gase and Bowles did not last long. Wilks, one year?

I have a hard time getting pumped when the odds are the new guy has no more success than the old guy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 11:22 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It gives us hope as at times change can be great. But in the NFL, it seems to not work out great more times than it works out great. I am sure Denver was thrilled when hey hired Joseph just 2 years ago. McVay worked out great, but is he the exception rather than the rule. Gase and Bowles did not last long. Wilks, one year?

I have a hard time getting pumped when the odds are the new guy has no more success than the old guy.

True, he may fail, but I doubt another coach gets 16 years...… Marvin got that long because he took a team that was lucky to get 2 wins a season and took them to the playoffs 7 times. I think MB was just afraid to go backwards.....
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 11:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: True, he may fail, but I doubt another coach gets 16 years...… Marvin got that long because he took a team that was lucky to get 2 wins a season and took them to the playoffs 7 times. I think MB was just afraid to go backwards.....

Very true.  He MIGHT fail.   Marvin already did fail.  Even he knew and admitted it. 

So, at least the chance for something better is here.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 11:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: True, he may fail, but I doubt another coach gets 16 years...… Marvin got that long because he took a team that was lucky to get 2 wins a season and took them to the playoffs 7 times. I think MB was just afraid to go backwards.....

There is always risk if you change in life. I am not saying MB should not have fired ML 3 years ago. but I am not giddy the next HC and assistants will do any better (results).

Why would I be? Our history of lack of success is well documented, so until I see us winning playoff games, I am not giddy.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Bengals would have to volunteer to be on Hard Knocks this year or accept a request to do so. They were on it in 2009 and 2013 . Teams that have been on in the last 10 years can't be forced to do it. Also teams with a first year head coach are exempt from being forced to do the show. Personally I hope they don't volunteer or accept an offer if requested. As interesting as it would be to get that inside look Hard Knocks provides I'd prefer with all the new changes not to add that distraction in the mix.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
My favorite part was knowing that Katie and others were involved, not Mike. And when they made the moves they did, I thought they were moves good teams would do (getting rid of Lazor, Hue).

I don’t think I want Hard Knocks though. Just can’t wait for the draft at this point!
Reply/Quote
A fresh start!

That's what the Bengals need -- and mostly with former NFC coaches I might add. This will allow the new coaching staff to objectively evaluate the talent in Cincinnati -- and the lack thereof. My prediction is this: The offensive skill players will be unchanged but the offensive line will look drastically different. On defense the line might look familiar somewhat but the linebackers and secondary will be almost completely revamped.
Reply/Quote
You guys do realize both time we were on Hard Knocks, the Bengals won the Division, right?
Reply/Quote
HOPE

Where before we had none.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 11:58 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: A fresh start!

That's what the Bengals need -- and mostly with former NFC coaches I might add.  This will allow the new coaching staff to objectively evaluate the talent in Cincinnati -- and the lack thereof.  My prediction is this: The offensive skill players will be unchanged but the offensive line will look drastically different.  On defense the line might look familiar somewhat but the linebackers and secondary will be almost completely revamped.

I'm not so sure the secondary needs revamped.  It was the 7th ranked secondary in the league.  It wouldn't break my heart if someone taught them better ball skills, though.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

And equally afraid to go forward.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 11:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: A good chance to be on Hard Knocks is what I am thinking!!!!!

It gets us a reality that the front office might not settle for mediocracy (ala Marvin). I thought that Marvin would be here for eternity. The new guy gets a chance and if it doesn't work out, move on instead of doing the same things again. It felt like I was stuck in the movie Groundhog day.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 01:13 PM)McC Wrote: I'm not so sure the secondary needs revamped.  It was the 7th ranked secondary in the league.  It wouldn't break my heart if someone taught them better ball skills, though.

There’s a long way between seventh and first.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 01:13 PM)McC Wrote: I'm not so sure the secondary needs revamped.  It was the 7th ranked secondary in the league.  It wouldn't break my heart if someone taught them better ball skills, though.

Totally agree with this. Our lack of linebacker cover and speed is what hurt most and lack of pass rush. It is difficult to play man and blitz when linebackers can't protect middle.
Reply/Quote

Where did you see this? As a defense they ranked dead last in passing yards allowed per game.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 02:30 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Where did you see this? As a defense they ranked dead last in passing yards allowed per game.

That's because our linebackers got shredded with short passes all year....
Reply/Quote