Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So excited!
As a long time fan of the Bengals it was with a heavy heart that I stopped watching the Bengals and NFL altogether 5 games in this year. The writing was on the wall even early in the season and I knew that this was the end of an era for the Bengals. That said I am extremely excited for some change after the season and the opportunity to draft a high profile player again this year. Instead of dreaming of a better season this year I looked to the future and just prayed that our team would lose as many games as possible to get us some year 1 starters next season. I still feel we had a great draft last year that can really benefit this team moving forward and most importantly I feel that coaching changes will be made after this season.

For all the hardcore fans I apologize with your frustration and high blood pressure over this season, but do yourself a favor and shed the skin of this year by not feeding money into their coffers and letting the ownership know we are ready for a change. Look to the future and join me in the excitement.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
How can you know how players are developing and which ones we need to replace without watching any of the games?

And how will you decide if you are going to watch any games next year?
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 11:26 AM)fredtoast Wrote: How can you know how players are developing and which ones we need to replace without watching any of the games?

And how will you decide if you are going to watch any games next year?

For one you have to evaluate based on projected skill level with 2 quality draft picks who never played a snap this year because of injury.  Stats are also pretty easy to read and understand where things went wrong in the year.   

As far as watching the team play next year will all be determined on changes that are made and evaluating where the team stands over the start in the season.  I'm sure this reasoning isn't strong enough for fredtoast tho.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 11:43 AM)Okeana Wrote: For one you have to evaluate based on projected skill level with 2 quality draft picks who never played a snap this year because of injury.  Stats are also pretty easy to read and understand where things went wrong in the year.   

As far as watching the team play next year will all be determined on changes that are made and evaluating where the team stands over the start in the season.  I'm sure this reasoning isn't strong enough for fredtoast tho.

While I don't often agree with Fred...giving up on a season after 5 games...is kind of weak. What's your criteria to determine a team isn't going to make the playoffs? If they aren't 3-2? If they are 2-3?
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 11:46 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: While I don't often agree with Fred...giving up on a season after 5 games...is kind of weak. What's your criteria to determine a team isn't going to make the playoffs? If they aren't 3-2? If they are 2-3?

so I determined that this season was a bust at game 5 and the season has been a bust, but somehow my predictive logic is in question?  The point of this entire post was to look to the future and the possibility of next season.  

Since the topic must be beat to death lets embrace it.  5 games in I realized that the team lacked rhythm from inconsistency in the roster with injuries in both the preseason and first few games.  I felt Nelson was a large part of the success of the team because of his ability to make plays and back Jones up from losing over the top and allow him to play more press and slot coverage.  The O Line was a complete disaster  with the play at center and RT,  Kicking looked subpar and with our historical need to have above average kicking to close out tough games it didn't bode well.  Our defensive line the last couple of years has benefited from above average secondary play that allowed them to grind out games without much in the way of big play potential especially on the right side of the line.  With the Dline coach deciding to move on most likely from lack of draft investment I knew they would  have a bad season.  Lastly I had little faith in what i was seeing from the coaching.  The large exodus of coaches after a winning season last year and inability to move on from Marvin/Paul was a huge red flag.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 12:20 PM)Okeana Wrote: so I determined that this season was a bust at game 5 and the season has been a bust, but somehow my predictive logic is in question?  The point of this entire post was to look to the future and the possibility of next season.  

Since the topic must be beat to death lets embrace it.  5 games in I realized that the team lacked rhythm from inconsistency in the roster with injuries in both the preseason and first few games.  I felt Nelson was a large part of the success of the team because of his ability to make plays and back Jones up from losing over the top and allow him to play more press and slot coverage.  The O Line was a complete disaster  with the play at center and RT,  Kicking looked subpar and with our historical need to have above average kicking to close out tough games it didn't bode well.  Our defensive line the last couple of years has benefited from above average secondary play that allowed them to grind out games without much in the way of big play potential especially on the right side of the line.  With the Dline coach deciding to move on most likely from lack of draft investment I knew they would  have a bad season.  Lastly I had little faith in what i was seeing from the coaching.  The large exodus of coaches after a winning season last year and inability to move on from Marvin/Paul was a huge red flag.

You happened to be right in this case...but there are NFL teams every year who play bad through 5 games and make the playoffs is my point.
Reply/Quote
As painful as some Bengals seasons have been have never quit watching my beloved Bengals.

The stuff they have put me through over the years ? This season is a cakewalk.

Who-Dey !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Ced was supposed to be a great pick because he was considered by some to be top 5 talent. We've got a handful of guys who either were top half of the first round picks, or are guys who were picked later but playing like it. But we've got several first and second round guys who haven't developed much.

I'm excited for the draft every year, but I don't see a fix coming just because we're likely drafting in the top 12 or so.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 12:20 PM)Okeana Wrote: so I determined that this season was a bust at game 5 and the season has been a bust, but somehow my predictive logic is in question?  

Yes.

A broken watch is correct twice a day.

I have seen too many teams improve over the course of a year to write anyone off after just 5 games.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 11:43 AM)Okeana Wrote:  Stats are also pretty easy to read and understand where things went wrong in the year.   

Stats can tell you something went wrong.  Stats can't tell you WHAT went wrong.

If our rush defense struggles how exactly do you know exactly which players to blame?
Reply/Quote
I've just watched bits and pieces of the last two games (although I did listen to a great deal of this last one on the radio as I was driving), and I gotta say, it has been great.  I've been doing things with the wife and kids, and not getting pissed off.  It's also allowed me watch more of other teams and how they manage to start rookies and those rookies contribute.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 05:16 PM)Wyche Wrote:   It's also allowed me watch more of other teams and how they manage to start rookies and those rookies contribute.

So you've never seen the Bengals do that before?  Didn't realize how short a time you have been following the Bengals.
 This explains a lot.

And since you have been watching other teams can you tell me how many rookies have more receptions than Tyler Boyd?
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 10:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you've never seen the Bengals do that before?  Didn't realize how short a time you have been following the Bengals.
 This explains a lot.

And since you have been watching other teams can you tell me how many rookies have more receptions than Tyler Boyd?

Yeah.....we've played some on offense....mostly out of necessity.  I should have clarified I guess....because you seem to always be stuck on minutia. Speaking mostly on secondary and other areas on defense.....we seem to "develop", outside of Burfict.  We had a chance to get a jump on our 1st round draft pick for next season.....but chose instead to activate a 30 year old special teamer. Our illustrious HC himself said they have to "earn PT".....as if poor play from your vets doesn't unearn any time.  The season is tanked......start getting the kids some game experience.  However.....we can't get WJIII any because apparently ol Peerman was gonna swoop in and save the season. We could've easily activated WJIII and called up Carson.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote