Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So if the Browns had kept Pettine .....
Would Hue have gotten any job this go around?
Reply/Quote
WTS, he may have actually went to the Giants interview.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 09:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: WTS, he may have actually went to the Giants interview.

Yeah but I have been hearing that Macadoo was a done deal there. Eagles also wanted him. That's why the Giants pulled the trigger.
Reply/Quote
Another 'what if' thread......

Reply/Quote
The real question is if Pettine gets a job anywhere else. He comes off dumb as rocks, I've watched almost every interview of him, living in CLE.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
No. It's been reported the Browns were his only realistic chance to be a head coach which shows how hard up he was to be a head coach again. I don't think he'll last but three years max. I read he's going to be the OC as well...big mistake...and save the Bruce Arians comparison.
Reply/Quote
The Browns couldn't have been at the top of his list.  I'd say he wasn't as hot of a commodity as some thought he was.  Good luck Hue.  You'll need it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 10:24 PM)BigRed75 Wrote: No. It's been reported the Browns were his only realistic chance to be a head coach which shows how hard up he was to be a head coach again. I don't think he'll last but three years max. I read he's going to be the OC as well...big mistake...and save the Bruce Arians comparison.

Somewhat disagree.  Hue was a candidate for San Francisco and New York and both teams did not make their hire until after Hue accepted the Cleveland job.

Not saying he would have received an offer from either but they were clearly interested in him until his Cleveland acceptance.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 10:43 PM)Who Dey Time Wrote: Somewhat disagree.  Hue was a candidate for San Francisco and New York and both teams did not make their hire until after Hue accepted the Cleveland job.

Not saying he would have received an offer from either but they were clearly interested in him until his Cleveland acceptance.

He left his interview with San Francisco without an offer...one reason being he wanted to jettison Kapernick but San Fran said no. McAdoo was always going to be the Giants hire...Hue was nothing more than a curtesy interview under the Rooney Rule. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 10:23 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: The real question is if Pettine gets a job anywhere else. He comes off dumb as rocks, I've watched almost every interview of him, living in CLE.

Pettine will find work elsewhere, but most likely as a coordinator. He's like a Romeo Crennell, Wade Philips, Josh McDaniels type of coach. Excels at one position. Not so much with an entire team. Pettine will find work and will probably succeed as a coordinator more than a HC.

I mean, his defense was extremely good when he was the defensive coordinator for the Jets. His defense got that team to the Championship game two years in a row.

He just wasn't a good head coach. It happens.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 10:24 PM)BigRed75 Wrote: No. It's been reported the Browns were his only realistic chance to be a head coach which shows how hard up he was to be a head coach again. I don't think he'll last but three years max. I read he's going to be the OC as well...big mistake...and save the Bruce Arians comparison.

Wasn't he the OC in his one year as Oakland HC as well? They had the 9th ranked offense that year with Michael Bush as his #1 RB, and Heyward-Bey as his #1 WR. That's pretty much all I need to convince me he could make it work, because making Jason Campbell, Michael Bush, and Heyward-Bey look like NFL starters is basically magic already.

Raiders have only 2 non-losing seasons in the last 13 years. Both were 8-8 seasons when Hue Jackson was there. Won 5 games before him, and 4 after him.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 07:11 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Wasn't he the OC in his one year as Oakland HC as well? They had the 9th ranked offense that year with Michael Bush as his #1 RB, and Heyward-Bey as his #1 WR. That's pretty much all I need to convince me he could make it work, because making Jason Campbell, Michael Bush, and Heyward-Bey look like NFL starters is basically magic already.

Raiders have only 2 non-losing seasons in the last 13 years. Both were 8-8 seasons when Hue Jackson was there. Won 5 games before him, and 4 after him.

He was also the OC a year before too whenever McFadden had a breakout year.

Hue has had a ton of success wherever he went. When he was our WR coach we had the best trio in the game. As our OC we had arguably the best 1-2 punch in the backfield in 2014. Helped get Andy Dalton to a MVP type level.

Hue is a very good coach and his players like playing for him. Honestly, it's a good hire for the Browns if he gets his way with everything.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 07:17 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: He was also the OC a year before too whenever McFadden had a breakout year.

Hue has had a ton of success wherever he went. When he was our WR coach we had the best trio in the game. As our OC we had arguably the best 1-2 punch in the backfield in 2014. Helped get Andy Dalton to a MVP type level.

Hue is a very good coach and his players like playing for him. Honestly, it's a good hire for the Browns if he gets his way with everything.

So did he improve our running game?  Did he take it to the next level?  I say NO and the reason was the OL.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 07:11 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Wasn't he the OC in his one year as Oakland HC as well? They had the 9th ranked offense that year with Michael Bush as his #1 RB, and Heyward-Bey as his #1 WR. That's pretty much all I need to convince me he could make it work, because making Jason Campbell, Michael Bush, and Heyward-Bey look like NFL starters is basically magic already.

Hue got a team that featured Jason Campbell, rusty-Palmer, Michael Bush, a god awful Chuck Bresnehan defense, and a veritable "who isn't who" list of WRs  one uncontrollable fluke in play Chicago (Bears vs. Broncos) away from hosting a playoff game against the Ravens.  The guy has some talent when it comes to making chicken salad out of chicken shart.
Reply/Quote
IMO, Hue would have been much better off either staying here one more year with the Offense intact and attempting to get to the Super Bowl, then going, or taking the Bengal's offer of HC in waiting....
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 07:04 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Pettine will find work elsewhere, but most likely as a coordinator. He's like a Romeo Crennell, Wade Philips, Josh McDaniels type of coach. Excels at one position. Not so much with an entire team. Pettine will find work and will probably succeed as a coordinator more than a HC.

I mean, his defense was extremely good when he was the defensive coordinator for the Jets. His defense got that team to the Championship game two years in a row.

He just wasn't a good head coach. It happens.

Yes.  Rex Ryan is also proof.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I think Hue was one of the top choices for teams looking for a HC this off season.

Glad the Browns got him, hopefully he can turn that ship around. If he gets Cleveland to the playoffs within the next 4 years I'd say he is a hell of a coach.

Main thing is the Browns need to give him a chance and time, no one turns a terrible football team into a playoff caliber team overnight.

Has he hired a DC yet? Is Joseph the DC?
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 03:16 PM)McC Wrote: Yes.  Rex Ryan is also proof.

Dick LeBeau is another. One of the best Defensive Coordinators of all time. Was a dumpster fire as a Head Coach.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 10:23 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: The real question is if Pettine gets a job anywhere else. He comes off dumb as rocks, I've watched almost every interview of him, living in CLE.

He couldn't have been that smart he took that stupid job.

Reply/Quote
Believe he was going to get a HC job somewhere either way.

But would have rather seen him go elsewhere opposed to in our own division though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote