Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So if the Browns had kept Pettine .....
(01-16-2016, 10:43 PM)Who Dey Time Wrote: Somewhat disagree.  Hue was a candidate for San Francisco and New York and both teams did not make their hire until after Hue accepted the Cleveland job.

Not saying he would have received an offer from either but they were clearly interested in him until his Cleveland acceptance.

It's called due diligence.  I doubt that he would have gotten either job.  Some people act like Hue was the hottest coaching prospect in years and that we were dumb to let him walk.  I just don't see it that way.
Reply/Quote
I get the impression that Hue wanted power. That probably wasn't what Baalke was looking for in SF. He already chased off an outstanding coach due to a power struggle. The Giants likely didn't want to let go of McAdoo. Would Hue want to keep him around? Would McAdoo even want to stay under a new HC? Unlikely, I'd say. Dude wants to forgo an OC in Cleveland altogether. What use would he have for a holdover from a past regime?

Even here in Cincy, if he was offered a job, how much power would he really have? Marvin didn't get to bring in his own staff and took years to gain the family's trust. Would Hue have to start at square 1 again? In Cleveland he gets to pick virtually any qb in this draft and gets as much power as he would have anywhere. His owner is still a dolt, but you never know. If he's half the qb whisperer people claim he is, a handpicked stud qb could be dangerous under his tutelage. I understand why he did what he did.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 09:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: WTS, he may have actually went to the Giants interview.

WTS means " with that said"   youre doing it wrong especially as the first post lol

you know better than that.

Hue Jackson gets a job regardless. the Browns were cupping his balls.
Reply/Quote
I thought it meant want to say, but I never saw someone acronym "With That Said" before that.

I read a Youtube (YT) comment a few days ago that had more acronyms than full words in it. God help me, I think I'm getting old.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I wish Hue Jackson luck when playing against the Steelers and Ravens. That's about it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 04:24 AM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: WTS means " with that said"   youre doing it wrong especially as the first post lol

you know better than that.

Hue Jackson gets a job regardless. the Browns were cupping his balls.

Hmm, I always thought it was short for Who's to say?

Excuse my oldness..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Have always been critical of Hue and his gimmicky play calling.

Still think he was getting a job either way.

The Bengals did set a franchise record for wins with a back up QB in most important time of the season when teams are fighting for births and seeds.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 02:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: IMO, Hue would have been much better off either staying here one more year with the Offense intact and attempting to get to the Super Bowl, then going, or taking the Bengal's offer of HC in waiting....

Or at least wait for a real franchise to offer him a job.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 10:57 PM)hitchopottimus Wrote: Dick LeBeau is another. One of the best Defensive Coordinators of all time. Was a dumpster fire as a Head Coach.

I wouldn't blame LeBeau or any other coach that coached during Mike Brown's tenure (not named Shula) as being a bad HC. DL didn't really want the HC job, but was compelled by MB to take it because Coslet left halfway thru the season. To my knowledge, DL was only supposed to take the reigns while MB found another coach, which he never did, thus forcing DL to quit.
Reply/Quote
I think he would have gotten another an offer or two, but I don't know if anyone would agree to his terms. The rumors are SF and CLE both wanted him, but he wanted to pick a QB at either place. Cleveland said "of course, we do every year" and SF said "But... you're supposed to be the fixer."

I think Hue just got scared that he wouldn't be able to find a team willing let him have as much control as he wanted. He got that with the Browns, for better or worse.

I think he's going to find it's worse when you don't have a decent scouting department.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 05:36 PM)Benton Wrote: I think he would have gotten another an offer or two, but I don't know if anyone would agree to his terms. The rumors are SF and CLE both wanted him, but he wanted to pick a QB at either place. Cleveland said "of course, we do every year" and SF said "But... you're supposed to be the fixer."

I think Hue just got scared that he wouldn't be able to find a team willing let him have as much control as he wanted. He got that with the Browns, for better or worse.

I think he's going to find it's worse when you don't have a decent scouting department.

Agreed. I think he will have a rough time there and Haslam unfortunately doesn't have the patience required. He could end up being our coach in the end anyway.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 05:40 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Agreed.  I think he will have a rough time there and Haslam unfortunately doesn't have the patience required.      He could end up being our coach in the end anyway.

I dunno how the Browns will take it. I expect his time in Cincinnati is over, regardless of what happens with the Browns. If he gets fired in two years (most likely) or has a few years and they mutually part ways, I think he'll keep making that head coach/OC circuit around the league for a while, ending up in places like Tampa or Jacksonville or Buffalo.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 05:40 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Agreed.  I think he will have a rough time there and Haslam unfortunately doesn't have the patience required.      He could end up being our coach in the end anyway.

I'm still thinking that what he's going to do is make this division even harder to win, and even harder to survive, with 4 tough physical teams.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 10:43 PM)Who Dey Time Wrote: Somewhat disagree.  Hue was a candidate for San Francisco and New York and both teams did not make their hire until after Hue accepted the Cleveland job.

Not saying he would have received an offer from either but they were clearly interested in him until his Cleveland acceptance.

He wouldn't have gotten the SF deal. Hue wants a major say in the personnel and Baalke will never let that happen.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote