Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So is Alex Erickson a lock now?
(08-29-2016, 02:23 PM)bengals73 Wrote: So true... Unfortunately, It appears Erickson is Sanzenbacher Part Deux   

Nah, Jordan Shipley part deux
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 02:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nah, Jordan Shipley part deux

That's right, I forgot about him! True dat
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 12:59 PM)Goalpost Wrote: 1 target, 1 catch, 21 yards, TD
2 punt returns, 57 yards total

Nice.  Thank you 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 10:55 AM)NKYRob Wrote: There is absolutely no way you could stash him on the practice squad.  He would get picked up in a heartbeat. Question is, who does he push off the active roster? Tate? Wright?

Well, Dane Sanzenbacher is always available. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 02:25 PM)bengals73 Wrote: That's right, I forgot about him! True dat

Had high hopes for Ship too before the injury, that sucked.

Nice to have Erickson though who might be a better returner and have even better hands.

Already a natural route runner, he better make the team over James Wright.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 12:43 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I was surprised they were not targeting LaFell often while Dalton was in the game last night.  If I am Marvin, and the way this preseason is going, last night was the last chance they have at game experience before opening day.  The last preseason game, I don't even have Dalton dress and maybe not even get on the bus.

I look at it this way, if the announce team is spouting about how they're going to throw at LaFell, the Jags certainly thought the same thing. When A.J. went down, it made things easier for Jacksonville to take away LaFell if they wanted, at which point throwing at him just might not of made much sense. It might of been the plan to get him a bunch of looks, but I'm guessing A.J. leaving early killed it.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 04:43 PM)Ravage Wrote: I look at it this way, if the announce team is spouting about how they're going to throw at LaFell, the Jags certainly thought the same thing. When A.J. went down, it made things easier for Jacksonville to take away LaFell if they wanted, at which point throwing at him just might not of made much sense. It might of been the plan to get him a bunch of looks, but I'm guessing A.J. leaving early killed it.

I don't think Collinsworth told Jacksonville anything they would not have thought of on their own.  You've got a guy penciled in as the number two wide out with very little experience working with the quarterback.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 11:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: LaFell hasn't shown shit so far, while the rooks have shown they have come to play. If I were picking the 6, it would be AJ and Tate, Boyd, Core, Wright and Erickson. Boyd and Core are ready. Wright seems to be healthy enough to be used sparingly. Erickson can flat out ball....

LaFell catches everything on Madden 17.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 06:49 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: LaFell catches everything on Madden 17.

LaFell is known for having the dropsys.I felt like the guys they wanted to look at last night was a no-show,not by fault of their own.Old Marv has no back-ups that can play nfl football on defense or offense.The second half was stinkin terrible and the guys that stink showed it last night.A few guys as backups are decent,but most stink.
Reply/Quote
I watched Erickson play last night. He did misjudge a punt that cost about 20 yards if he would have just fair catched it. However, on the 2 returns he did make, he followed the blocking well and ran for some good yards. I would not say he is a lock yet until pre-season game 4. He should get an opportunity to play and show his stuff. If he has a good game, he's in.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I think we go 7 receivers now that Peerman is out. Adding Carson or Bronson Hill to the team adds absolutely nothing to the team, so we just stock up in the area that also affects special teams.

Erickson will take Peerman's active spot, leaving the same actives for WR as we would have had we kept 6 receivers.

I don't know what Erickson can do covering special teams, but it's safe to say there isn't a second Peerman type player that is worth an active slot just for covering kicks and punts. I'm sure we could give that spot to Erickson without suffering any more than we already are without Peerman.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 08:01 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think we go 7 receivers now that Peerman is out. Adding Carson or Bronson Hill to the team adds absolutely nothing to the team, so we just stock up in the area that also affects special teams.

Erickson will take Peerman's active spot, leaving the same actives for WR as we would have had we kept 6 receivers.

I don't know what Erickson can do covering special teams, but it's safe to say there isn't a second Peerman type player that is worth an active slot just for covering kicks and punts. I'm sure we could give that spot to Erickson without suffering any more than we already are without Peerman.

I really don't see us going 7 WR's for the long term.  They could always pick a RB up on waivers or sign a veteran after the deadline for guaranteed salaries is over.  They may also do the same at TE with Kroft and Eifert banged up.  

At this point, AJ, LaFell, Boyd, Tate, and Core are locks.  People don't want to hear that about Tate, but he has experience in the offense that is valuable and can play multiple roles on ST's.  You would have to think Erickson has the last spot, barring a horrid performance and a monster of a game by someone else against the Colts.  Wright doesn't seem 100% and still has PS eligibility iirc.  Alford could be stashed on IR if he's still unable to go.
Reply/Quote
TATE IS NOT GETTING CUT. GET OVER IT
Reply/Quote
Agree, wanted Tate cut for years.

But believe he has to make team this season with such little experience at WR position he will be an asset if for nothing else helping youngsters.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 02:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nah, Jordan Shipley part deux

Jordan Shipley was actually really good. He just could never stay healthy. Lets hope that Erickson can play as well and stay healthy. We would have a steal then.
Reply/Quote
He's proven to be a baller in preseason. Hope it translates into the regular season.

Here's hoping to a 3 catch/1 TD / 43 yard return on Thursday

Reply/Quote
If he has a good showing in Preseason Game 4, then id say there's no way we can cut him. You know Tate will be starting at WR that game as well. I better not see AJ, Tyler, or Lafell on the playing field at all during that game.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 02:37 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Well, Dane Sanzenbacher is always available. 

And always open... LMAO
Reply/Quote
A few already stated this, but I think Wright is odd man out. Tate is just too valuable on KR, not PR. He's a bigger, more durable body. Erickson has that natural, fluid speed that gets in and out of his breaks with no wasted movement. He just knows how to find the soft spots in the middle of the field. His PR abilities is just icing on the cake. He is also younger, and would be cheaper.

Wright has been a solid guy, and he has a good chance of being picked up somewhere else. Or, if an injury dictates it, he gets re-signed after the start of the season. Either way, the team is better with Erickson.

I like the idea of only carrying 3 RBs, but don't know if that is realistic. If they carried 7 WRs, would all of them even dress? Probably not.

Regardless, kudos to the scouting department (again) for knowing about Erickson and pursuing him.
Reply/Quote
Well, with Tate getting the Ax - Pretty sure Erickson is all but a lock at this point. Looks like the team is finally going with youth over experience at the WR position.
Reply/Quote