Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, we're getting a dog
(06-23-2018, 07:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, the wife is getting a dog.  Meaning by proxy, I'm getting a dog..  Nice looking little fellow, Yorkshire Terrier.  I guess that I should be happy and excited, but I'm not.  Honestly, I'm not sure that I'm ready for a dog.  The last one that I had, I raised from a puppy, until someone poisoned him when he was 12.  He was a majestic Blue Doberman, great temperament, pleasant disposition.  Everything that I could ever ask for in a pet.  That was 17 years ago.

We got a Jack Russell/Beagle puppy as a wedding gift in 1996.  I swore she would not sleep in bed with us despite my love of dogs.  She was in our bed within an hour...lol.

15 years later she died in our bed with my sitting next to her.

I still am not sure I want another dog.  Sad

But our daughter has two rescues (that are not MY dogs) so I get to have them in the house while she and her fiance are responsible for them.  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 10:24 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: As I said in the other thread, this is my father's sentiment: no more pets ever again, as when they pass, you become too emotionally-attached and its tragic when they die.

I kept tropical fish for years but never formed any emotional attachments.
Perhaps because there was no physical interactions.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
[Image: pics-121.jpg]

Reply/Quote
It's tough losing your best pal.....my kids had gotten a pup last September.  While she isn't "my dog" per se, it has helped ease a little bit of the pain of the recent passing of my dog.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 09:03 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: I kept tropical fish for years but never formed any emotional attachments.
Perhaps because there was no physical interactions.

As did I.

That's probably another reason why I haven't rushed to set up a new aquarium; I grew very attached to my Cichlids and my largest Green Terror (fish I had from the beginning) used to always eat from my hand and even let me pet him.

I miss those days...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 07:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, the wife is getting a dog. Meaning by proxy, I'm getting a dog.. Nice looking little fellow, Yorkshire Terrier. I guess that I should be happy and excited, but I'm not. Honestly, I'm not sure that I'm ready for a dog. The last one that I had, I raised from a puppy, until someone poisoned him when he was 12. He was a majestic Blue Doberman, great temperament, pleasant disposition. Everything that I could ever ask for in a pet. That was 17 years ago.

I’ve lost 3 early. One a twisted stomach, that one that causes the nerve covering to deteriorate and causes paralysis, and a blood disease that causes white blood cells to attack red blood cells. The youngest was 5 1/2 and the oldest 8 1/2. All Rotties. Now I’m on number 4. Every time I get one I think it can’t happen again. One day I’ll be right.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 05:52 PM)GMDino Wrote: We got a Jack Russell/Beagle puppy as a wedding gift in 1996.  I swore she would not sleep in bed with us despite my love of dogs.  She was in our bed within an hour...lol.

15 years later she died in our bed with my sitting next to her.

I still am not sure I want another dog.  Sad

But our daughter has two rescues (that are not MY dogs) so I get to have them in the house while she and her fiance are responsible for them.  Smirk

So since you’re liberal are Mike and Gloria rabid righties?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 08:38 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I’ve lost 3 early. One a twisted stomach, that one that causes the nerve covering to deteriorate and causes paralysis, and a blood disease that causes white blood cells to attack red blood cells. The youngest was 5 1/2 and the oldest 8 1/2. All Rotties. Now I’m on number 4. Every time I get one I think it can’t happen again. One day I’ll be right.

What a shame.  One of my buddies had a rottie for seems like 15 years.  He finally had to put Sarge down, about a year ago.

One day, the time will be right.  I'll get another puppy and raise him right.  I own land in Gallia Co. Oh., and plan on moving back there in the next 5 years.  It's good country land, in the hills.  The sort of place where you can let the dog out, and not have to chain them up, walk them on leashes, etc.  Just let them roam and open the door when the want in.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 08:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What a shame.  One of my buddies had a rottie for seems like 15 years.  He finally had to put Sarge down, about a year ago.

One day, the time will be right.  I'll get another puppy and raise him right.  I own land in Gallia Co. Oh., and plan on moving back there in the next 5 years.  It's good country land, in the hills.  The sort of place where you can let the dog out, and not have to chain them up, walk them on leashes, etc.  Just let them roam and open the door when the want in.

I would love to do that. My parents have like 5 acres so I get him over there from time to time, but it would be cool to just let him do his thing on a giant spread.

Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 07:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, the wife is getting a dog.  Meaning by proxy, I'm getting a dog..  Nice looking little fellow, Yorkshire Terrier.  

Yorkie? That's not really getting a dog. Anything small enough to put in your purse is not a dog.

(See how I assumed you had a purse if you're getting a Yorkie?)
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 08:38 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I’ve lost 3 early. One a twisted stomach, that one that causes the nerve covering to deteriorate and causes paralysis, and a blood disease that causes white blood cells to attack red blood cells. The youngest was 5 1/2 and the oldest 8 1/2. All Rotties. Now I’m on number 4. Every time I get one I think it can’t happen again. One day I’ll be right.

I had two Rottweilers growing up.  The first one survived parvo, only to get killed on the highway a few years later.  The second lived to the ripe old age of 13 though.  My dad had to have him put down when his hips gave out.

Reply/Quote
I have 5 dogs lol. A Britney spaniel (16 years old.) Black Lab (11) Beagle (8) Cocker Spaniel (4) and a cocker Britney mix (1).
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 09:46 AM)Wyche Wrote: I had two Rottweilers growing up.  The first one survived parvo, only to get killed on the highway a few years later.  The second lived to the ripe old age of 13 though.  My dad had to have him put down when his hips gave out.

That Parvo is nasty business.I would be thrilled with 13.  All I want is a normal lifespan.   I've driven to Dallas to get a dog, and North Carolina twice, and sometimes I think I should just get a mutt as they seem to do better, but damn you get a good Rottie, and it's one of the prettiest dogs there is.  I'd add a picture but it keeps saying they are too large.

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 10:06 AM)michaelsean Wrote: That Parvo is nasty business.I would be thrilled with 13.  All I want is a normal lifespan.   I've driven to Dallas to get a dog, and North Carolina twice, and sometimes I think I should just get a mutt as they seem to do better, but damn you get a good Rottie, and it's one of the prettiest dogs there is.  I'd add a picture but it keeps saying they are too large.

It is man.  Yes, I love those dogs....raised right, they're awesome pets too.

Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 07:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, the wife is getting a dog.  Meaning by proxy, I'm getting a dog..  Nice looking little fellow, Yorkshire Terrier.  I guess that I should be happy and excited, but I'm not.  Honestly, I'm not sure that I'm ready for a dog.  The last one that I had, I raised from a puppy, until someone poisoned him when he was 12.  He was a majestic Blue Doberman, great temperament, pleasant disposition.  Everything that I could ever ask for in a pet.  That was 17 years ago.

Should name the dog Harley !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 11:11 AM)Wyche Wrote: It is man.  Yes, I love those dogs....raised right, they're awesome pets too.

Not trying to derail thread but wanted to ask a question to Wyche.

Are you going to Bourbon and Beyond this year ?

Although we have never met and do not know you outside of site remember somewhere you talking about last years show. 

Had to work last year but am off that weekend this year and have already bought tickets for Sunday. 

Want to go Saturday as well but not sure how this old man can take that back to back. 

But probably will break down and try to attend both shows when time comes. Probably will hinge on how hot it is that weekend. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 10:06 AM)michaelsean Wrote:  I should just get a mutt as they seem to do better

We have 2 dogs...a lab, and a lab shepherd mix. The lab we paid $500 for and got through a breeder. The mix I got for $60 at the shelter. I am about $4000 into the lab for vet bills. She tore tendons in both back legs 2 years apart. Each time the operation to repair was $1500 plus rehab costs. She has also had assorted ailments. The mutt I have never spent a penny on other than routine check ups and shots.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 12:15 PM)Beaker Wrote: We have 2 dogs...a lab, and a lab shepherd mix. The lab we paid $500 for and got through a breeder. The mix I got for $60 at the shelter. I am about $4000 into the lab for vet bills. She tore tendons in both back legs 2 years apart. Each time the operation to repair was $1500 plus rehab costs. She has also had assorted ailments. The mutt I have never spent a penny on other than routine check ups and shots.

I can't cite anything, but I think it's pretty much proven that mutts fare far better than purebreds overall.  

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 12:18 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I can't cite anything, but I think it's pretty much proven that mutts fare far better than purebreds overall.  

They do. Its really simple why also....genetics. All the inbreeding and selective breeding with purebreds has weakened their gene pool and subjected them to genetic diseases. Mutts have a much more extensive gene pool which provides for greater genetic variation and "stronger" canines.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 12:15 PM)Beaker Wrote: We have 2 dogs...a lab, and a lab shepherd mix. The lab we paid $500 for and got through a breeder. The mix I got for $60 at the shelter. I am about $4000 into the lab for vet bills. She tore tendons in both back legs 2 years apart. Each time the operation to repair was $1500 plus rehab costs. She has also had assorted ailments. The mutt I have never spent a penny on other than routine check ups and shots.

Always get shelter dogs and do not regret it one bit. Am proud of the fact actually. 

Love my Beagles that are not too big for house and not too small to sweat stepping on them and crushing accidentally going to bathroom in middle of the night. 

They are so fast they can take care of themselves as well. Mine are not aggressive at all but one time while getting out of car to take in groceries a chow got loose from owner walking it and charged into the yard aggressively.  That little Beagle was on him so fast it was shocking. It was like a little demon with teeth and could not even get a hand in to separate them momentarily. Chow hair was flying everywhere and he was happy to get away once separated. 

Shelter dogs can survive !  If adopted that is. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote