Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So who is that starter at LG?
(08-28-2022, 06:23 PM)Synric Wrote: Lol during the Bengals board fantasy draft my tablet autocorrected to Charmin... Perfect nickname.

From now on, he shall be referred to as "Jack Shyt Charmin".   Hilarious LMAO
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 07:37 PM)Go Cards Wrote: If the player is on the roster presently  then would think it would be Volson at this point but may change later.

Neither really look like they've seized anything just yet.

The more I think about this, I can't help but wonder if the "best five" currently on the roster would look like this:

LT- Jonah Williams
LG- Ted Karras
C- Trey Hill
RG- Alex Cappa
RT- La'el Collins

I know everyone will go nuts moving Karras, but if they don't bring in another LG I kind of think this is the best five of the existing roster.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2022, 08:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The more I think about this, I can't help but wonder if the "best five" currently on the roster would look like this:

LT- Jonah Williams
LG- Ted Karras
C- Trey Hill
RG- Alex Cappa
RT- La'el Collins

I know everyone will go nuts moving Karras, but if they don't bring in another LG I kind of think this is the best five of the existing roster.

Can you say Trey Hill is that much better at C than Volson is at G?
Reply/Quote
I think there will be a release of a good guard at cut downs and we'll see them start week 2. Volson and Carman will probably rotate with Carman going in for running situations more.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2022, 08:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The more I think about this, I can't help but wonder if the "best five" currently on the roster would look like this:

LT- Jonah Williams
LG- Ted Karras
C- Trey Hill
RG- Alex Cappa
RT- La'el Collins

I've wondered about this too.  It's at least worth a try.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 11:18 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I've had this conversation several times over the past year, but running the ball well doesn't help your passing game in any measurable way. I've looked at data going back to 1999 and they are independent of each other. That said, yes, it will help keep drives alive in those short yardage situations, which is where Cincinnati was just abysmal last year. 

Measurably it won’t help the passing game. It will however help if on downs like 3rd and 4 we run it and break a TD run. Teams have been looking at our tendencies and with previous times zero chance we ever ran it on third and 3 or more. So I’d disagree. I think the run game opens up the passing game. But no better run blocking won’t help on third and long. But if a better run game keeps teams even so slightly from teeing off all the time then it’s helped.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

LT- Jonah Williams
LG- Ted Karras
C- Trey Hill
RG- Alex Cappa
RT- La'el Collins

I’d like for them to trade for the best backup guard in the league today. It’s that important
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Grats to Volson if he won the job, but Adeniji got the starting RG job last year and he performed horrific.
So just because someone starts doesn't mean they're good.
Hopefully Volson doesn't follow that path.
I don't think he will, as I don't see Volson getting pushed back like he's on roller skates, but there will be some things he will struggle with at times.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2022, 09:34 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Grats to Volson if he won the job, but Adeniji got the starting RG job last year and he performed horrific.
So just because someone starts doesn't mean they're good.
Hopefully Volson doesn't follow that path.
I don't think he will, as I don't see Volson getting pushed back like he's on roller skates, but there will be some things he will struggle with at times.

I believe he won the job as he didnt have to play final preseason where as JC did and looked bad.
Reply/Quote
I think it’s Volson and it should be. I’ve been much more patient with Carman than most here but even I agree Volson has earned it and Carman has not to this point. I think you give Volson a month and see how he’s done. If he’s close to average out there it’s his job. If not, and Carman has been practicing well then you open the competition back up.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2022, 09:44 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I think it’s Volson and it should be. I’ve been much more patient with Carman than most here but even I agree Volson has earned it and Carman has not to this point. I think you give Volson a month and see how he’s done. If he’s close to average out there it’s his job. If not, and Carman has been practicing well then you open the competition back up.

It's awful early to hang the bust tag on Carman. And who knows perhaps he'll turn it around and be a very good one ? But thus far (and this is just me speaking) I have to wonder if his heart is really in it ?
Reply/Quote
Let's remember Adeniji got plugged in when first XSF got hurt and then Carman struggled. Adeniji came in and also struggled and then Carman got hurt later and then Adeniji became walking wounded also (as did Spain). We went into the playoffs with a backup at RT and four Guards either out or walking wounded.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2022, 10:12 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It's awful early to hang the bust tag on Carman. And who knows perhaps he'll turn it around and be a very good one ? But thus far (and this is just me speaking) I have to wonder if his heart is really in it ?

You see that a lot in the Pros....
Reply/Quote
Aslong as Carman isn't starting I'm good with it.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2022, 09:18 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Measurably it won’t help the passing game. It will however help if on downs like 3rd and 4 we run it and break a TD run. Teams have been looking at our tendencies and with previous times zero chance we ever ran it on third and 3 or more. So I’d disagree. I think the run game opens up the passing game. But no better run blocking won’t help on third and long. But if a better run game keeps teams even so slightly from teeing off all the time then it’s helped.

This is a conversation that can go on for pages and I don't want to derail the thread, but I will say that if Cincinnati starts running the ball on 3rd and 6, the fanbase will carry ZT out of the stadium themselves. Also, I'm not sure what you are trying to say by "running game opens up the passing game". Normally, people will say that and mean "the passing game will be stronger this year because we will run the ball better". This isn't true, there is nothing to support this. Play-action doesn't improve with a strong running game, nor does the passing game normally. You don't hit bigger plays more often, you don't have a higher QB rating, you don't have a higher YPA. This has been true since 1999, which is as far back as I can go with the database I use. So, if you're saying that a better running game opens up a passing game, I would argue that the answer is factually no. If you're saying that you think it will open up the passing game, I would say that trends in data change all the time, so sure, it could change. I just don't see any reason why it would.

That said, yes, a running game really helps with your options in short yardage situations and allows you play with tendencies. If a team were to pass every play, defenses would get into their pressure packages and you'd have a bad time. That is certainly true. 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2022, 10:20 AM)740Bengal Wrote: Aslong as Carman isn't starting I'm good with it.

Better be hoping instead that whoever plays in that spot actually plays solid or better.
It doesn't do the Bengals any good if it's like last year's RG spot where it's bad no matter who is playing there because they're all bad.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2022, 08:41 AM)EatonFan Wrote: I've wondered about this too.  It's at least worth a try.

At this point, it probably makes sense to spend the next two weeks leading up to the season rolling with Volson at LG and Karras at C.
See if they can build continuity to start the season.
Then if we're not seeing LG doing well after the first few games, maybe try shifting Karras to LG and putting Hill at C.

Frankly, I'm no more confident in Hill than I am Volson.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2022, 10:29 AM)ochocincos Wrote: At this point, it probably makes sense to spend the next two weeks leading up to the season rolling with Volson at LG and Karras at C.
See if they can build continuity to start the season.
Then if we're not seeing LG doing well after the first few games, maybe try shifting Karras to LG and putting Hill at C.

Frankly, I'm no more confident in Hill than I am Volson.

yeah now is not the time to be tinkering with the OL now is the time to get them all reps together and in sync
Reply/Quote
I noticed Adeniji played a lot better at tackle. Maybe they should try Carman at tackle before making any decision on if he can work out here or not (not that they'd cut him this season).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2022, 11:24 AM)jj22 Wrote: I noticed Adeniji played a lot better at tackle. Maybe they should try Carman at tackle before making any decision on if he can work out here or not (not that they'd cut him this season).

I was thinking the same. Maybe they ought to just give Carman a shot at offense tackle.  He's just too upright in the stance and he's just attached slow getting to his stance.  My guess is is still keep him as a backup this year and maybe try to trade them like they did Billy Price
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote