Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social Media Bans
Has anyone else here received bans on social media, lately ?
I received a 7 day ban from Facebook last night, with no real explanation.
It merely directed me to their Community Standards page and stated that I was guilty of more than one infraction.
Going to the Help Center, it states that I have zero violations.
I cannot comment, post, react, remove friends, or use messenger.
I can only imagine that this is because I am politically active and that this is a precaution for the inauguration.
Anyone here that is also on my Facebook knows that I post primarily positive material and rarely tread into confrontational territory.
I'm pretty PO'ed about this, as I've kept my content clean for 11 years.
Anyone else in this boat ?

*posted in this forum as I believe the ban to be politically motivated*
Reply/Quote
I don't use social media at all. I have a Facebook and Instagram account. I never post on the former and very, very rarely on the latter. I do have friends who have encountered similar bans though. Based on the people I think a large percentage of it was due to gun related posts, e.g. range day, hunting etc.

It's obviously a reaction, or rather a gross overreaction, to the Capitol Building event.
Reply/Quote
The Office group I was in got banned because people kept quoting the show. Sometimes the algorithm is shit.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 01:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't use social media at all.  I have a Facebook and Instagram account.  I never post on the former and very, very rarely on the latter.  I do have friends who have encountered similar bans though.  Based on the people I think a large percentage of it was due to gun related posts, e.g. range day, hunting etc.

It's obviously a reaction, or rather a gross overreaction, to the Capitol Building event.

I don't have any firearm posts, really.
I did post on an Ohio firearm group that was speaking about me as a candidate, a few months back.
I merely stated that I supported the 2nd Amendment and the entire Constitution though.
Apparently I must be a threat of influencing too many people.
Tongue

I've even paid these jerks money for advertising !
Whatever
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 01:31 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I don't have any firearm posts, really.
I did post on an Ohio firearm group that was speaking about me as a candidate, a few months back.
I merely stated that I supported the 2nd Amendment and the entire Constitution though.
Apparently I must be a threat of influencing too many people.
Tongue

I've even paid these jerks money for advertising !
Whatever

In light of recent events, Libertarian is now viewed as "dog whistle" for far Right Extremist..   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 01:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In light of recent events, Libertarian is now viewed as "dog whistle" for far Right Extremist..   Ninja

Yeah.
A boat-load of my friends have been banned since around October.
Many have been perma-banned and had any new accounts deleted, as well.
A multitude of Libertarian pages were deleted, especially Libertarian meme pages.
Heck, they even blocked Ron Paul's page from posting content.

I can understand the one's that spread obviously false information, but this was an act of politicide.
Reply/Quote
Last week I got a notification that one of my posts was deleted but it never told which one and I never saw anything that was missing so I assume it was an error.

Over the years some have been taken down for copy write claims, once for "spam" when I shared a cat video.  Smirk

But nothing political has ever been removed.  A couple jokes were flagged as "false" recently...and they were false.  They were jokes!  Cool

Others have said about getting put in FB Jail but I've never had that problem.  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 02:15 PM)GMDino Wrote: Last week I got a notification that one of my posts was deleted but it never told which one and I never saw anything that was missing so I assume it was an error.

Over the years some have been taken down for copy write claims, once for "spam" when I shared a cat video.  Smirk

But nothing political has ever been removed.  A couple jokes were flagged as "false" recently...and they were false.  They were jokes!  Cool

Others have said about getting put in FB Jail but I've never had that problem.  

I've never even received so much as a warning.

Damned Skynet, anyway !
Rant
Reply/Quote
Never had a problem until today. I'm helping organize a fundraiser for some local charities. Dick vitale was kind enough to record a video promoting it. I checked my Facebook page and the video had been flagged for spam. So my account isn't banned, but now I've got to figure that out.
Reply/Quote
Facebook specifically has been criticized for years about how they moderate, mainly using humans to view reported content but that usually took far too long. I do wonder if the recent events caused them to switch over to some sort of machine learning based algorithm that hasn't quite been tuned yet.
Reply/Quote
I'm currently serving a 3 day Facebook suspension for calling some an illiterate ****.

In my defense, she was acting like an illiterate ****.
Reply/Quote
My girlfriend is in Facebook jail as well. She's more conservative than me and she's convinced that's why. Her page is pretty innocuous so I'm inclined to agree.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 04:57 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I'm currently serving a 3 day Facebook suspension for calling some an illiterate ****.

In my defense, she was acting like an illiterate ****.

I had multiple friends say they got put in timeout for calling people "idiots" and the like.

Civility goes a long way on FB with the way they are policing the site.  Somehow my mother hasn't been banned yet!  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 06:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: I had multiple friends say they got put in timeout for calling people "idiots" and the like.

Civility goes a long way on FB with the way they are policing the site.  Somehow my mother hasn't been banned yet!  Smirk

See, this is where my posting habits benefit me. I post a little bit about politics on other social media, but usually it's involving specific policy items related to hunting, fishing, or general conservation. I'm also very subdued on those accounts because I use my real name and I'm a prominent volunteer in our local Scouting community. So, I like to behave myself as much as possible.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 07:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: See, this is where my posting habits benefit me. I post a little bit about politics on other social media, but usually it's involving specific policy items related to hunting, fishing, or general conservation. I'm also very subdued on those accounts because I use my real name and I'm a prominent volunteer in our local Scouting community. So, I like to behave myself as much as possible.

Politics is less than 10% of what I post there.  I do opine on the news sometimes but for the most part it's about friends and family.

When there is a "discussion" I stay civil.  My mother on the other hand?  Well it's hard to tell an Italian woman how to behave anytime let alone when she is passionate about something!  Smirk
Reply/Quote
Social media of one of the few places I've never been banned.. I have been banned from posting on Amazon so amazon can suck a big one for all I care..(it was over a piece of garbage router base made in *surprise...china of used soda pop cans probably)... I'm an ebay person anyway..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 12:44 AM)grampahol Wrote: Social media of one of the few places I've never been banned.. I have been banned from posting on Amazon so amazon can suck a big one for all I care..(it was over a piece of garbage router base made in *surprise...china of used soda pop cans probably)... I'm an ebay person anyway..

There was a Veterans Day discount on Prime last year. So after a few years going without because I despise Amazon’s middle class killing business model I decided I would sign up because the capitalist in me loves good deals. Freaking asswipes got me for a full price auto renew this year because I forgot to cancel. Still pissed about it every time I go in there and browse through the mounds of Chinese shit
Reply/Quote
I gave up on Facebook years ago. I think I was an OG because when I joined you had to have a .edu email address. I liked sharing what I wanted to share. But that wasn’t possible IMO with the way they mined your data. And then you get to the way it turned adults back in to high school gossip shit talking groups and a whole lot of idiocy. It was pretty easy for me to give them up.

Pisses me off I can’t buy an oculus vr headset because they are owned by Facebook. And now require you log in with Facebook. It was bad enough with all the tracking and stuff when you downloaded FB on your phone. Now with one of their VR headsets you have a camera on your face as your move through your home. Uh no thanks. It’s bad enough I have a listening device and camera in my pocket at all times. I really don’t have anything to hide. It’s just the invasion of privacy in that bothers me. Same way I will probably never have a smart home. I don’t want a machine learning my voice and matching ads up with my conversations.
Reply/Quote
I just joined MeWe, today.
Jim Cantrell (former NASA/SpaceX engineer) joined, so I followed his advice to join.
He said he was "Done with the Borg".
Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 03:22 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I just joined MeWe, today.
Jim Cantrell (former NASA/SpaceX engineer) joined, so I followed his advice to join.
He said he was "Done with the Borg".
Hilarious

Haven't heard of it. From the name I'm guessing a social media site for guys who like to pee? 
Reply/Quote