Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Coaches and Players on the Defense
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Another-intramural-scrum-for-defense/0d63f2b8-bc7a-4bec-935d-0c10cb6781cf

Here's some insight on a little of what is going on and being discussed outside of the forum. I'm sure we can stretch this thread with some more debating and fussing!
Reply/Quote
"And starting linebacker Karlos Dansby and slot corner Josh Shaw are basically in their first seasons here, as are all of Guenther’s position coaches."

Seriously, how does Hobson have a job that entails writing about a professional sports team? No, neither Shaw nor Dansby is "basically in their first season here". Shaw was drafted and saw significant playing time last year. Dansby however is, in fact, in his first year here.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 02:40 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: "And starting linebacker Karlos Dansby and slot corner Josh Shaw are basically in their first seasons here, as are all of Guenther’s position coaches."

Seriously, how does Hobson have a job that entails writing about a professional sports team? No, neither Shaw nor Dansby is "basically in their first season here".  Shaw was drafted and saw significant playing time last year.  Dansby however is, in fact, in his first year here.

Chandler jones is in his first year @ AZ and ballin out and looking to get contract extension

Marvin jones is in his first....

Josh Norman is in....

Brandon Lafell is...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 03:16 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Chandler jones is in his first year @ AZ and ballin out and looking to get contract extension

Marvin jones is in his first....

Josh Norman is in....

Brandon Lafell is...

I just thought the way Hobson worded it was weird.  There does seem to be a misconception that guys cannot produce, and produce well, in their first year though.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 02:40 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: "And starting linebacker Karlos Dansby and slot corner Josh Shaw are basically in their first seasons here, as are all of Guenther’s position coaches."

Seriously, how does Hobson have a job that entails writing about a professional sports team? No, neither Shaw nor Dansby is "basically in their first season here".  Shaw was drafted and saw significant playing time last year.  Dansby however is, in fact, in his first year here.

This is shaw  first year being a starter so it some what to be expected to have some struggles. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 03:27 PM)J24 Wrote: This is shaw  first year being a starter so it some what to be expected to have some struggles. 

He saw significant playing time last year and has been in the system for two years.  No, he should not be expected to struggle.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 03:25 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I just thought the way Hobson worded it was weird.  There does seem to be a misconception that guys cannot produce, and produce well, in their first year though.

I was agreeing with you, when you sign a player to a one year contract I would think you expect them to contribute in year 1
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 03:38 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I was agreeing with you, when you sign a player to a one year contract I would think you expect them to contribute in year 1

Sorry.  I don't understand how Hobson says it is "basically" their first year... it is Dansby's first year, but Shaw is in his second.  It's not "basically" anything... lol

I see people make comments about it taking a year to learn the Bengals' system, that you can't expect a guy to come in and contribute, etc. and I just don't understand that.  It's football, a game these guys have been playing their entire lives.  Between all the off season workouts and training camp I would think if you've chosen the right guy, they would have no problems fitting in.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 03:44 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Sorry.  I don't understand how Hobson says it is "basically" their first year... it is Dansby's first year, but Shaw is in his second.  It's not "basically" anything... lol

I see people make comments about it taking a year to learn the Bengals' system, that you can't expect a guy to come in and contribute, etc. and I just don't understand that.  It's football, a game these guys have been playing their entire lives.  Between all the off season workouts and training camp I would think if you've chosen the right guy, they would have no problems fitting in.

It was "basically" Hunt's rookie year for like four years, Ced's for two, Kirkpatrick's for four, Andre Smith for three, Dennard's for three, etc.

It "basically" is their rookie year until they stop sucking and excuses no longer have to be made for them to justify their lack of production based off the spot they were drafted at.

It's also why AJ Green, Andy Dalton, Carlos Dunlap, and Geno Atkins didn't "basically" have two or three rookie seasons. They had their rookie season and produced.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 04:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It was "basically" Hunt's rookie year for like four years, Ced's for two, Kirkpatrick's for four, Andre Smith for three, Dennard's for three, etc.

It "basically" is their rookie year until they stop sucking and excuses no longer have to be made for them to justify their lack of production based off the spot they were drafted at.

It's also why AJ Green, Andy Dalton, Carlos Dunlap, and Geno Atkins didn't "basically" have two or three rookie seasons. They had their rookie season and produced.

So it is a way to make the coaching and scouting departments look better? lol
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 04:47 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: So it is a way to make the coaching and scouting departments look better? lol

Exactly, there's never any busts, because they're "basically" still rookies, and rookies can't be busts yet. Or they are "stuck" behind veterans, and simply haven't had a chance to show how "great" they are. Thus they never draft any busts and have had "great" draft after "great" draft.

(Man that's a lot of sarcastic quotations. Lol)

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 04:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Exactly, there's never any busts, because they're "basically" still rookies, and rookies can't be busts yet. Or they are "stuck" behind veterans, and simply haven't had a chance to show how "great" they are. Thus they never draft any busts and have had "great" draft after "great" draft.

(Man that's a lot of sarcastic quotations. Lol)

To paraphrase Tommy Boy, I got your sarcasm because you were laying it on pretty thick Cool
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 03:34 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: He saw significant playing time last year and has been in the system for two years.  No, he should not be expected to struggle.

He played one game on defense.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 06:10 PM)J24 Wrote: He played one game on defense.

Apparently in that one game, he got 116 snaps on defense, because that's how many he played in 2015. That's an impressive workload for "one game".

Plus another 250 snaps on special teams.

Reply/Quote
So far it has been disappointing. I thought for sure the bickering would be about the philosophy and excerpts of the coaches, opposed to Hobson's writing skills and accuracies.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 06:10 PM)J24 Wrote: He played one game on defense.

You think Josh Shaw only appeared in one game last year?  Not trying to be rude, but do you watch the games?  Here are his stats from last year, he registered them in 10 different games.  The guy played a lot, especially when Hall was out of the lineup.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/2971605/year/2015
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 11:00 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: You think Josh Shaw only appeared in one game last year?  Not trying to be rude, but do you watch the games?  Here are his stats from last year, he registered them in 10 different games.  The guy played a lot, especially when Hall was out of the lineup.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/2971605/year/2015

He played but not a lot.  116 snaps is less than 2 full games.  He is not like a rookie because he has played hundreds of snaps in practice but he is also still learning a lot as far as game experience.

I remember Sherman edwards talking about how important game experience was when we were shutting down good passing attacks with a bunch of older guys like Newman, hall, jones, and nelson.

So while hobs may be exaggerating a bit, he has a valid point.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 03:25 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I just thought the way Hobson worded it was weird.  There does seem to be a misconception that guys cannot produce, and produce well, in their first year though.

His writing style is really hard to understand/interpret sometimes. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Bengals.com is desperately in need of a new writer.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 11:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He played but not a lot.  116 snaps is less than 2 full games.  He is not like a rookie because he has played hundreds of snaps in practice but he is also still learning a lot as far as game experience.

I remember Sherman edwards talking about how important game experience was when we were shutting down good passing attacks with a bunch of older guys like Newman, hall, jones, and nelson.

So while hobs may be exaggerating a bit, he has a valid point.

Then how would Dansby "basically" be a rookie when this is his 13th season?  Just because it is his first year with the Bengals, I don't think you can argue he is anything close to a rookie.  Just my perspective, but I don't think it is legitimate.
Reply/Quote