Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Defense gives up big plays
Secondary was carved up, fortunately we did some carving of our own.

Bottom line, forcing one punt the entire game is unacceptable and must improve or it's Ground Hogs Day in January.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2015, 07:25 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: It doesn't seem to matter who we play against. Nobodies turn into superstars with this defense, and our corner backs aren't playing to a good standard.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's the "bend but don't break" mentality, which i hate. I'm more used to seeing our defense carrying our offense to victory, but not vice versa.

NO Touchdowns yesterday....a lot of sacks also.....The difference in the game is we scored touchdowns and they kicked field goals.  Touchdowns count for 6 plus and extra point attempt, and field goals count for 3....KC never hit pay dirt, kept out of the end zone all game....That means Bengals kept Charles out of the end zone, something Packers couldn't do....Our D played Chiefs better than the Packers D. 

Oh Yes, the last 2 field goals by KC were kind of stupid because they needed touchdowns to get back in the game, not field goals. All they did was accept they were beat and pad their field goal kickers stats, therefore 7 field goals. The reason you don't see many 7 field goal days is because most teams behind and needing touchdowns continue to try to get back in the game going for the touchdowns. ....So they got 7 field goals, WE Got Touchdowns, We Won.....Chiefs did score touchdowns on Packers their last game and Charles was a beast against the Packers, but Packers also won.....because Chiefs have no pass blocking, none, and the reason Packers and Bengals got all those sacks. Chiefs need to draft pass blockers. Chiefs remind me of 2008 Bengals awful O Line that got Carson Palmer and Fitzgerald killed every game. The worst thing about no pass blocking is your QB's get killed.  Don't put Chiefs QB on your fantasy teams because he probably won't survive the season.  They are leading the NFL in getting sacked, and that QB is getting clobbered. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 10:10 AM)kevin Wrote: NO Touchdowns yesterday....a lot of sacks also.....The difference in the game is we scored touchdowns and they kicked field goals.  Touchdowns count for 6 plus and extra point attempt, and field goals count for 3....KC never hit pay dirt, kept out of the end zone all game....That means Bengals kept Charles out of the end zone, something Packers couldn't do....Our D played Chiefs better than the Packers D. 

Agreed. The defense kinda won this game. No knock on the offense but the D kept the other team from the endzone. What more can you ask from them? That means for every 3 possessions they had, we needed a little more than 1. Amazing football.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 10:26 AM)Fresno B Wrote: Agreed. The defense kinda won this game. No knock on the offense but the D kept the other team from the endzone. What more can you ask from them? That means for every 3 possessions they had, we needed a little more than 1. Amazing football.

That's the math, yes. There's no reason why fans should be over-worried about enemy QBs zipping it around between the 20s in play-from-behind passing situations and out-and-out slop time.

I'm a little concerned about the overall health of the DBs right now, but that's it. That's what should be crossing fingers right now.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 10:26 AM)Fresno B Wrote: Agreed. The defense kinda won this game. No knock on the offense but the D kept the other team from the endzone. What more can you ask from them? That means for every 3 possessions they had, we needed a little more than 1. Amazing football.

Confused

Our defense did play great in the redzone. They did not play well covering the rest of the field.

The reason they were on the field for almost 37 out of 60 minutes was because they couldn't stop the Chiefs on 3rd down, they allowed them to convert 1st downs 2 times at least when we had them 2nd and 19. This was against the worst team coming in the Chiefs (converted 16% of 3rd downs) which magnifies some issues.

On the other hand, the only time our offense was stopped was due to penalties. Our offense far and away carried the defense yesterday. But, The defense did play great redzone defense and our offense was 4 for 4 converting TD's in the redzone.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
You mean playing Shawn, Dennard and Lamur would have an effect on the game? Shocking.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 10:36 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: You mean playing Shawn, Dennard and Lamur would have an effect on the game? Shocking.

If we want to be a champion, then our backups need to step up when called upon. Lamur has been playing for 3 years a lot of snaps. Shane and Williams have not played a lot of snaps, but they have been in our system and are not rookies.

I am not sure why we gave up the yards yesterday. I did see an extremely fast KC team and it seemed we decided we not let Kelsey beat us so that may have opened up things for others like Macklin.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 10:41 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If we want to be a champion, then our backups need to step up when called upon. Lamur has been playing for 3 years a lot of snaps. Shane and Williams have not played a lot of snaps, but they have been in our system and are not rookies.

I am not sure why we gave up the yards yesterday. I did see an extremely fast KC team and it seemed we decided we not let Kelsey beat us so that may have opened up things for others like Macklin.

Look at the drive details I laid out on page 2 of this thread, a lot of the yardage given up was due to linebacker or safety troubles in coverage. Very little yardage due to CBs in short and medium routes, and only a couple of big plays but both given up by Dennard who isn't a starter.

People are talking about what will happen if we play New England and whatnot, which I think is ridiculous at this point of the season, but I don't think we would match up very well with them at the time being with our current performance at LB and S in coverage.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 12:44 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Like I previously mentioned in other threads, this is a bend don't break type of defense and one I don't particularly like. One of these days, the offense won't be in sink and we will find ourselves in deep shit because the defense cannot man up and make plays. Too many missed tackles. Bone headed plays. Plain stupidity. I hope it changes when Burfict comes back. I don't personally like giving up a gold mine of yards to Alex Smith, and neither should they.

it sure beat the bend then break D.  Who Dey!
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 10:53 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Look at the drive details I laid out on page 2 of this thread, a lot of the yardage given up was due to linebacker or safety troubles in coverage. Very little yardage due to CBs in short and medium routes, and only a couple of big plays but both given up by Dennard who isn't a starter.

People are talking about what will happen if we play New England and whatnot, which I think is ridiculous at this point of the season, but I don't think we would match up very well with them at the time being with our current performance at LB and S in coverage.

One change I noticed after the half (I was at the game so I have yet to watch it in detail at home) was the dropped MJ into coverage in the middle of the field trying to cut off lanes for the shorter routes.

I am not overly concerned, I would guess our young guys did make some mistakes in coverage, but they gained valuable experience for the future. I am confident our defense will get better as the year progresses, I am hopeful our offense can keep up the torrid pace (#2 in the NFL I believe in yards).

Reply/Quote
Tackling and Vinnie Rey getting caught out of his gap is our biggest issues
Reply/Quote
You cannot question anything about this team around here without being publicly stoned as a heretic. It takes me back to the days of Fed-ups vs. Die Hards. Anybody remember those terms? lol

Perhaps we need a "Cheerleader" forum for you ladies to shake your pom poms?
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2015, 07:53 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: This is my biggest concern thus far this season. Giving up the big play, particularly on third down, isn't gonna cut it once we start playing good teams. That and (once again) tackling issues has me very uneasy about the Seahawks next week.

The Chiefs are miserable at converting 3rd downs, yet they did very well against the Bengal D;
Kirkpatrick seems a step behind and out of position most of the time;
Andre Smith looked like a rookie several times against the Chiefs pass rush;
And, damn what's with all the boneheaded penalties????
Reply/Quote
Ouch. PFF ratings were released on Kirkpatrick...not good...like, at all.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 03:51 AM)Derrick Wrote: The Chiefs are miserable at converting 3rd downs, yet they did very well against the Bengal D;
Kirkpatrick seems a step behind and out of position most of the time;
Andre Smith looked like a rookie several times against the Chiefs pass rush;
And, damn what's with all the boneheaded penalties????

I've seen a couple posts about Kirkpatrick problems in coverage.  I don't know what games these people have been watching but I think he's done a great job - especially in 1 on 1 situations.  Receivers on the other teams are pros also, remember they get paid to make plays.  Every one in a while that is going to happen.  

Give up a couple of completions and people around here think someone is a bum.  I watched Richard Sherman give up some completions to Megatron last night.  Is Sherman a bum?
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 01:59 AM)Utts Wrote: You cannot question anything about this team around here without being publicly stoned as a heretic. It takes me back to the days of Fed-ups vs. Die Hards. Anybody remember those terms? lol

Perhaps we need a "Cheerleader" forum for you ladies to shake your pom poms?

And you can't say anything positive without some Debbie Downer claiming it is all just a mirage until we win the Super Bowl.

Perhaps we should have a "PMS" section for all you whiny little girls to cry out  your hormonal anger.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 10:53 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Look at the drive details I laid out on page 2 of this thread, a lot of the yardage given up was due to linebacker or safety troubles in coverage. Very little yardage due to CBs in short and medium routes, and only a couple of big plays but both given up by Dennard who isn't a starter.

Agreed, but having Iloka and Burfict healthy would fix a lot of those problems. If we get to play NE this year, hopefully they will be back, and will be able to smack Gronk a few times (if anyone is even capable).
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 10:35 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Confused

Our defense did play great in the redzone. They did not play well covering the rest of the field.

The reason they were on the field for almost 37 out of 60 minutes was because they couldn't stop the Chiefs on 3rd down, they allowed them to convert 1st downs 2 times at least when we had them 2nd and 19. This was against the worst team coming in the Chiefs (converted 16% of 3rd downs) which magnifies some issues.

On the other hand, the only time our offense was stopped was due to penalties. Our offense far and away carried the defense yesterday. But, The defense did play great redzone defense and our offense was 4 for 4 converting TD's in the redzone.

The D spotted the offense 1 of those red zone touchdowns. Keeping the other team out of the end zone and gifting the offense with that fumble is the reason why we won. If the chiefs D did the same exact thing to us we would have lost.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 09:59 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: It is very concerning because the offense is not going to have a great day every week.  

Nope, but it isn't very reasonable to expect the defense to have a great day every week either.  There will be a few weeks this year where one or the other completely craps out.  That's life in the NFL.
Reply/Quote