Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some interesting info on John Ross
The Pro Football Focus scouting report:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-john-ross-wr-washington/

Quote:What he does best:

- He has incredible game speed, can blow right by a corner even when they’re playing 10 yards off.
- Quick in and out of breaks, doesn’t set them up or give them away.
- Can beat press coverage with release speed as well as use of hands.
- Incredible footwork. Sets up a lot of double moves and fakes using his feet, has made more than a few defenders look silly this way.
- Catches with his hands, and is very strong with the ball. Dropped only six of 105 catchable passes the last two years.
- Great vision with the ball in his hands, can find open space and turn a nothing play into a big gain with his ability after the catch.
- Runs a variety of routes, doesn’t just run straight downfield every play. Has one of the best slant routes in college football.
- Great ability to track the ball in the air and adjust his route accordingly. Can catch over the shoulder without breaking stride.
- Adds an extra skill in his ability to return kicks.
- Willing blocker, will take on corner and try to seal him out of play.

Biggest concern:

- Smaller receiver that can be pushed around a bit. While he can beat press coverage, there were times where it threw him off his route.
- Doesn’t have the strength to box out corners in tight situations. Can be muscled at catch point.
- Won’t win a lot of 50/50 jump balls.
- Injury history brings some concerns. He tore his MCL in the 2014 season, then missed the entire 2015 season with a torn ACL.
- Player comparison: DeSean Jackson, Washington Redskins.

This is a fairly easy comparison with both players being similar in size but still being phenomenal deep threats because of their speed. Both use that to their advantage, as corners are forced to play off them to respect that speed. And like Jackson, Ross is an electric returner on special teams.

Bottom line: If teams look past Ross’ small stature, they’ll be getting a special receiver. While his speed is obviously his biggest asset, it’s not all Ross has. He knows how to get open using his footwork and can beat press coverage off the line with both his feet and his hands. He catches the ball consistently and once it’s in his hands, there’s very few better at seeing the field and finding open space. Ross can line up all over the field and make plays. Couple all of that with his return abilities and Ross has the potential to be one of if not the most exciting receiver to come out of this draft.

From Rotoworld before the draft:

Quote:Washington's John Ross garnered 6-of-16 first-place votes from NFL scouts polled on this year's top wide receiver prospect.
He got more first-place votes than Western Michigan's Corey Davis (5 1/2) and Clemson's Mike Williams (4 1/2), although Davis emerged as the No. 1 "points" getter in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's poll, which used scouts' rankings and not just first-place votes. The points system placed East Carolina's Zay Jones at a distant fourth in this year's wideout class, and USC's JuJu Smith-Schuster at fifth. Eastern Washington's Cooper Kupp finished sixth, Ohio State's Curtis Samuel seventh, and Texas A&M's Josh Reynolds came in eighth. "It's the worst wide receiver class I've seen in a long time," said one NFC executive.

I'm thinking this particular executive was likely talking about depth of the class, as the top 3 WRs were viewed as some of the cream of this draft regardless of position.

Just found it interesting that so many scouts actually considered Ross the best WR in this draft.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
He can be very special... his injuries look over a 1 year removed. Cant judge yet... But hopeful. so who returns Ross or Erikson
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 11:37 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Pro Football Focus scouting report:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-john-ross-wr-washington/

I'm thinking this particular executive was likely talking about depth of the class, as the top 3 WRs were viewed as some of the cream of this draft regardless of position.

Just found it interesting that so many scouts actually considered Ross the best WR in this draft.

I would argue John Ross is a better prospect than both Corey Coleman and Will Fuller last year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 11:48 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: He can be very special... his injuries look over a 1 year removed.   Cant judge yet...  But hopeful.    so who returns Ross or Erikson

Much like Tate and Jones of old, use Erickson as the primary returner but Ross sparingly to provide that big-play jolt.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 11:50 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I would argue John Ross is a better prospect than both Corey Coleman and Will Fuller last year.

walterfootball and several other analysts agree with you.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 11:51 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Much like Tate and Jones of old, use Erickson as the primary returner but Ross sparingly to provide that big-play jolt.

Bingo. I want him primarily as a WR, but sprinkling him in occasionally wouldn't hurt.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 11:55 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Bingo. I want him primarily as a WR, but sprinkling him in occasionally wouldn't hurt.

I agree.  Unless it is some special circumstance, I don't see a reason to have him returning kicks.  He has a small stature and injury history, so why risk it?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 11:55 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Bingo. I want him primarily as a WR, but sprinkling him in occasionally wouldn't hurt.

This also should mean the end of having to use Adam Jones as a returner. He can focus full time on defense.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:01 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I agree.  Unless it is some special circumstance, I don't see a reason to have him returning kicks.  He has a small stature and injury history, so why risk it?

Cause hes an ankle breaker lol... And gotta start somewhere.

So   they said plan for the bengals to take 2 WRs in this draft....

Lets look at that for a second

AJ
Lafell
Boyd
Ross
Erickson
(another Rookie?)
Cody core

So if we draft another unless late in round 7   we going 7 WRs this year?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:01 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I agree.  Unless it is some special circumstance, I don't see a reason to have him returning kicks.  He has a small stature and injury history, so why risk it?

Well for me it has nothing to do with size or stature. I'd feel that way about any player (including Pacman in the past).

Desean Jackson is listed 5'10" and 178 lbs. John Ross is listed 5'11" and 188. Not sure why people think he's tiny. I'm sure he will only get stronger/bigger now, too.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well for me it has nothing to do with size or stature. I'd feel that way about any player (including Pacman in the past).

Desean Jackson is listed 5'10" and 178 lbs. John Ross is listed 5'11" and 188. Not sure why people think he's tiny. I'm sure he will only get stronger/bigger now, too.

5'11" is not very tall, so I would not expect him to add much bulk.  The knees are why I would not have him returning many kicks.  Returns are by far the most violent play he would be involved in, people coming at him from every direction.  Just my personal opinion, but I would not do it.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Cause hes an ankle breaker lol... And gotta start somewhere.

If you grab a WR in the single digits of the draft, he'd better be starting pretty much from day 1 or close to it. 

I guarantee the other 2 WRs taken in the top 10 will have every opportunity to start from day 1, and I have no reason to feel differently about our guy.
Reply/Quote

Agreed can't risk the injury, plus wasn't Erickson one of the best returners in the game last year? I know he started of shaky at first but he look better as the year went on plus it was his 1st time returning kicks.  
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:13 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: 5'11" is not very tall, so I would not expect him to add much bulk.  The knees are why I would not have him returning many kicks.  Returns are by far the most violent play he would be involved in, people coming at him from every direction.  Just my personal opinion, but I would not do it.

He doesn't need to add a ton of bulk. I could see him getting into the low 190's...which is absolutely fine for his his height.

You're right about the violent collisions on returns, although I'd say there's more head injuries than knee injuries...but point still taken.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If you grab a WR in the single digits of the draft, he'd better be starting pretty much from day 1 or close to it. 

I guarantee the other 2 WRs taken in the top 10 will have every opportunity to start from day 1, and I have no reason to feel differently about our guy.

Exactly.  Unless he is absolutely terrible in camp or is injured, he needs to be lining up opposite A.J. Green the bulk of the time.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well for me it has nothing to do with size or stature. I'd feel that way about any player (including Pacman in the past).

Steve Smith Sr. had a very successful career, at 5'9" and 195.  I don't find Ross' physical dimensions to be a limiting factor for him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 11:37 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Pro Football Focus scouting report:

I am warming up to him the more I read. He was not my 1st choice at #9.
But, the thing about speed does create fear in a defense. A CB who presses him better win, if he beats it quickly, it becomes a TD as no way for safety to get over quickly. I am learning who is a great route runner, has high character and a will to win. If he stays healthy, he may be an awesome addition to teh 2017 Bengals and we have not had a quick strike TD guy and to him with Green and Eifert could push our offense to a new height.

Ty for the info Shake
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

I don't know how tall or much Steve Smith weighed, but he was one o the toughest WR's I have ever seen? My guess is Ross will at a minimum get to Steve Smith weight.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Steve Smith Sr. had a very successful career, at 5'9" and 195.  I don't find Ross' physical dimensions to be a limiting factor for him.

LOL

Just posted something, great minds think a like...LOL

Reply/Quote
The more I read about the guy, the happier I get. I wasn't pleased we passed on Foster and Allen but clearly they kept falling for a reason... Maybe this will all work out.

God I hope the kid can stay healthy
Reply/Quote