Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some of it really is just bad luck.
I know the Bengals are not the best ran team in the league, but some of our problems really do seem to be bad luck. Some years we seem to have a lot of injuries, but I have looked at the numbers around the league for a few years and the Bengals, on average, don't get injured a lot more than most other teams. But we have lost two of our best players over the last decade to injury.

Based on just watching players I would say that we have only had 5 "elite" players over the last decade. Green, Atkins, Whitworth, Burfict, and Eifert. We only got 1 full elite season out of Eifert and 2 out of Burfict. That is almost half of our elite players with their careers ruined by injury.

That is tough for a team as thin as the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
I’m wondering if Eifert will do any better with the new strength and conditioning coaches. Maybe it was just bad luck for him. With Burfict it was his head first tackling style that started the problem IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 05:57 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I’m wondering if Eifert will do any better with the new strength and conditioning coaches.

I don't think so.  I used to always argue that most injuries were based on bad luck, but there really are some players who just come apart easier.  And there are definitely some players who concuss more easily.

John Lynch played safety for 15 years in the NFL.  He was one of the most violent hitters (and best players) in the game.  I saw him getting interviewed by some other retired player who said he thought that every NFL player had had a few concussions.  Lynch swore that he never had one.

People say that TE is such a tough position to play that they will always be getting injured like Gronk and Eifert. But Jason Witten missed ONE GAME in FIFTEEN YEARS.  He missed the 5th game of his rookie season then played 235 straight before retiring.  That is insane.
Reply/Quote
You make great points. Unfortunately if you’re right, then Eifert will get injured again and not play a full season again.

Reply/Quote
I'm not sure how much of it is bad luck or the fact that the Bengals play the Steelers 2-3 times per year.

I remember a stat a few years ago that showed that the Bengals, Browns, and Ravens were near the top of the league in the number of concussions suffered by players. What do those three teams have in common? :hmmm:
Reply/Quote
Yes I’ve always said that if Tom Brady had to play the Steelers two times a year he wouldn’t still be playing. Sure he’s beaten them when he’s had to play them, but he doesn’t have to play them every year twice. And he didn’t have to play the Ravens every year twice. The Bengals do it every year. And let’s face it the Steelers get away with dirty hits, especially when playing us. Always have.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 05:57 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I’m wondering if Eifert will do any better with the new strength and conditioning coaches. Maybe it was just bad luck for him. With Burfict it was his head first tackling style that started the problem IMO

There's not a player in the league who's leg would not have broken on his last play.....
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 05:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know the Bengals are not the best ran team in the league, but some of our problems really do seem to be bad luck.  Some years we seem to have a lot of injuries, but I have looked at the numbers around the league for a few years and the Bengals, on average, don't get injured a lot more than most other teams.  But we have lost two of our best players over the last decade to injury.

Based on just watching players I would say that we have only had 5 "elite" players over the last decade.  Green, Atkins, Whitworth, Burfict, and Eifert.  We only got 1 full elite season out of Eifert and 2 out of Burfict.  That is almost half of our elite players with their careers ruined by injury.

Bengals only having 5 elite players over the last decade could very well be caused by the not the best ran team in the league part of your opening sentence rather than the bad luck part of it.

The thin team is a product of the front office. Pretty much the only job of the player personnel department and scouts is to bring in the best possible talent the team can afford.

Reply/Quote
The last three Coordinators hires really sunk the team.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
If I had to line up Bengal players by "elite" over the last decade; I'd most likely put Big Los in the top 5. Most likely ahead of Eifert and Burfict.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 09:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If I had to line up Bengal players by "elite" over the last decade; I'd most likely put Big Los in the top 5. Most likely ahead of Eifert and Burfict.

I’ve always been a Dunlap fan, but he’s only had double digit sacks once in 9 years. That’s hardly elite for an edge rusher. And yes, he does a lot of things other than get sacks, like batting passes down, and being generally disruptive, but elite? Idk. I guess you could make a case that he was in 2015, as he finished 4th in sacks. Like Fred said, Eifert really only had one elite season, too.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 11:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve always been a Dunlap fan, but he’s only had double digit sacks once in 9 years. That’s hardly elite for an edge rusher. And yes, he does a lot of things other than get sacks, like batting passes down, and being generally disruptive, but elite? Idk. I guess you could make a case that he was in 2015, as he finished 4th in sacks. Like Fred said, Eifert really only had one elite season, too.

Los is not an edge rusher

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:11 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Los is not an edge rusher

wat

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: wat

LOS is a strong side DE. 

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:11 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Los is not an edge rusher

I agree about Dunlap.

I would add Zeitler to that list. Best pass blocking RG in the league.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:33 AM)bfine32 Wrote: LOS is a strong side DE. 

I’ve always seen the term used for a DE or OLB that rushes the passer.

Reply/Quote
So, the bad luck is only having 5 "elite" players in a decade?
Or just not doing very well despite being healthier than other teams?

End of the day, I don't think the Bengals' injuries have been any better or worse than most teams. I think our response has been the deciding factor. Other teams have injuries, they congratulate the guys who step up. The last decade, the Bengals have injuries and the coach/organization lays it off injuries,
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 05:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know the Bengals are not the best ran team in the league, but some of our problems really do seem to be bad luck.  Some years we seem to have a lot of injuries, but I have looked at the numbers around the league for a few years and the Bengals, on average, don't get injured a lot more than most other teams.  But we have lost two of our best players over the last decade to injury.

Based on just watching players I would say that we have only had 5 "elite" players over the last decade.  Green, Atkins, Whitworth, Burfict, and Eifert.  We only got 1 full elite season out of Eifert and 2 out of Burfict.  That is almost half of our elite players with their careers ruined by injury.

best RUN team
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve always seen the term used for a DE or OLB that rushes the passer.
And I've seen the term Edge. Nothing worth arguing about. I simply place Los above Eifert when discussing elite. 

Reply/Quote

Good luck favors the prepared. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote