Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some possible cuts... Larry Warford
This is what I am looking at

Attached Files Image(s)

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
With us cutting Dalton we should have the dough to pay Warford if he does indeed get cut.

Or we could make some sort of trade for him. Shawn for Warford?
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 05:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: With us cutting Dalton we should have the dough to pay Warford if he does indeed get cut.

Or we could make some sort of trade for him. Shawn for Warford?

I'd love to see Warford on the Bengals OL.  However, I have a feeling that the extra money from Andy's salary will be pumped into signing AJ to a multi-year deal, or extending Mixon.

Moving guys like Williams and Redmond would free up just over $6M, which would cover a large portion of Warford's salary, but Williams to New Orleans doesn't seem very feasible.  The Saints let Bell walk for cap reasons, they are likely also going to cut Warford loose for the same reason.  I took a look at N.O.'s current depth chart, and they are surprisingly well stocked at Safety, so I really don't see any legs growing to the idea of Williams to N.O.  Besides, for all we know, Williams might be part of the plan for a 3 Safety look right here, with the Bengals.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 04:24 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: This is what I am looking at

That indeed indicates he's the 8th ranked guard, unless my eyes deceive me. That rotoworld blurb must have just been wrong. 

Also my guess is that if the Saints release him, it won't be until training camp, and it would be hard for him to come in and learn the system. Another reason to at least broach the topic with them of a trade. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 06:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'd love to see Warford on the Bengals OL.  However, I have a feeling that the extra money from Andy's salary will be pumped into signing AJ to a multi-year deal, or extending Mixon.

Moving guys like Williams and Redmond would free up just over $6M, which would cover a large portion of Warford's salary, but Williams to New Orleans doesn't seem very feasible.  The Saints let Bell walk for cap reasons, they are likely also going to cut Warford loose for the same reason.  I took a look at N.O.'s current depth chart, and they are surprisingly well stocked at Safety, so I really don't see any legs growing to the idea of Williams to N.O.  Besides, for all we know, Williams might be part of the plan for a 3 Safety look right here, with the Bengals.

I agree almost entirely. Except that signing AJ to a multi year deal should lower his cap number, not raise it. 

But I do agree that Williams for Warford doesn't make sense. If they're shedding him for cap purposes why would they add a guy we're shedding for cap purposes. 

I did just look at their cap situation, and it seems that if they wanted to cut somebody for cap reasons they'd cut Nick Easton, who for whatever reason is scheduled for 5.8M this year. Cutting him would save the $ they need to sign their 4 draft picks. I think if Warford is cut it'll be late in camp, and we'd have to offer something non-trivial to acquire him via trade. Not buying these rumors that he's going to get cut. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 06:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'd love to see Warford on the Bengals OL.  However, I have a feeling that the extra money from Andy's salary will be pumped into signing AJ to a multi-year deal, or extending Mixon.

Great points, was just throwing this out there as a possibility. Sure doesn't look like it from what you say here Sunset.

Just was just trying to find a way to land a Guard of Warford's stature.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 06:44 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I agree almost entirely. Except that signing AJ to a multi year deal should lower his cap number, not raise it. 

But I do agree that Williams for Warford doesn't make sense. If they're shedding him for cap purposes why would they add a guy we're shedding for cap purposes. 

I did just look at their cap situation, and it seems that if they wanted to cut somebody for cap reasons they'd cut Nick Easton, who for whatever reason is scheduled for 5.8M this year. Cutting him would save the $ they need to sign their 4 draft picks. I think if Warford is cut it'll be late in camp, and we'd have to offer something non-trivial to acquire him via trade. Not buying these rumors that he's going to get cut. 

(04-30-2020, 06:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great points, was just throwing this out there as a possibility. Sure doesn't look like it from what you say here Sunset.

Just was just trying to find a way to land a Guard of Warford's stature.

They seem excessively stocked at interior OL, as well, likely the reasons for the Warford to be cut rumors.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/NO

LG
Peat, Andrus 15/1
Kelly II, Derrick CF19
Magee, Adrian CF20

[/url]

C
McCoy, Erik 19/2
Easton, Nick U/Min
Throckmorton, Calvin CF20

RG
Ruiz, Cesar 20/1
Warford, Larry U/Det
Tom, Cameron CF17

[url=https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/player/0/]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I would love bringing in warford if we can afford him. I would look at Adam shaheen, te from Chicago. His numbers won’t wow you but I think a change of scenery does him good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 12:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If they want to accept his current contract, then trade.  

If he's cut, they negotiate their own deal, is that correct?

I think so.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 12:41 PM)phil413 Wrote: He's not in the first 4 years anymore to be subject to waivers so no.  You'd pay the 6th or 7th to beat another team to line up to sign a Pro Bowl need position in his prime.  I'm surprised by the reactions on this board on this one.

Thank you
Reply/Quote
I'm not understanding why the Saints, a legit SB contender, would look to move Warford given their LG spot is (far) worse.
Just put Ruiz there.
I know the answer might be the salary cap hit, but the Saints are expected to pay only $4.7 mill for their draft picks and they have nearly $3 mill in cap space.
They could remove Nick Easton (much worse IOL) to get under that cap.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If larry Warford is the you pick him up!! That would be a phenomenal pickup
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 08:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not understanding why the Saints, a legit SB contender, would look to move Warford given their LG spot is (far) worse.
Just put Ruiz there.
I know the answer might be the salary cap hit, but the Saints are expected to pay only $4.7 mill for their draft picks and they have nearly $3 mill in cap space.

Didn't they just give Peat a huge extension (which I confirmed looking for an article on ESPN)? That would make me feel like they like their LG
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 08:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not understanding why the Saints, a legit SB contender, would look to move Warford given their LG spot is (far) worse.
Just put Ruiz there.

That's what I would think too (about Easton). But I did some Googling about Warford and found some (unsubstantiated, sure) rumors that the Saints feel that Warford's play slipped a bit last year, and that perhaps his conditioning wasn't great. I mean they did draft Ruiz for a reason after all - Warford is clearly not in their long term plans (re-upped Peat and traded up for McCoy in last year's draft). 

Cutting Easton, who is an overpaid backup, seems like the smarter move. However, he can play center. Maybe it makes more sense for them to keep their utility backup than to keep a guy in Warford who would be about a 12 million dollar backup guard if Ruiz beats him out. 
Reply/Quote
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29151914/saints-cut-guard-larry-warford-3-pro-bowl-seasons

Let’s go! I called it... grab him!
Reply/Quote
I saw Warford graded out at 73.1 overall on PFF, but perhaps some snaps were not at guard?

FWIW, overall grades via PFF:

Jason Peters = 82.4
Joe Thuney = 77.4
Warford = 73.1
F. Johnson = 62.6 (1 game started)
Hopkins = 62.4
Su'a-Filo = 60.1
Hart = 57.7
Jordan = 43.7 (though I saw he was over 70 for games 9-16)
------------
Redmond = 50.6
Price = 41.8
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 10:08 PM)The Stars In Stripes Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29151914/saints-cut-guard-larry-warford-3-pro-bowl-seasons

Let’s go! I called it... grab him!

Yeah if he signs elsewhere I'll take a day or two off or I'm gonna be bitter.  Again, he's a local product pro bowl guard on a team in desperate need of one.  

MJ has very green potential and XSF is a 3mil/yr fringe option that has played LG.  They're a an ideal platoon or competiton on an average football team.  If Williams becomes a star at LT, the right side is still weak. I'd be elated if this were our line....even if Mixon held out and AJ doesn't get an extension (though signing Wolford doesn't preclude either especially with moving guaranteed money around.

LT Williams B grade?
LG MJ/XSF C grade
C   Hopkins C+
RG Warford A-
RT  Hart/Johnson C

Based off the stability Warford brings and the competiton that either provokes youth to shine or at least posseses depth...that's actually a descent line.  

GET IT DONE!!!  
Reply/Quote
The fact he played at Kentucky May figure into his openness to sign here. I just hope he doesn’t sign with a team in the division... he is a really good player that would help us protect Joe Burrow...
Reply/Quote
I want to sign him too. I worry that we won't though. First, his alleged weight issues don't mesh with the "culture" stuff ZT harps on. Second, we shed Miller and replaced him XSF because we wanted to pull/trap more, as I understand it. Well supposedly one of the reasons the Saints cut Warford is they wanted to get more athletic. I think the Bengals will use those factors to talk themselves out of signing him.

On the other hand, we have some coaches (Callahan/Golden) who know him from Detroit. Maybe a low risk deal that lets him make up to 7 million with incentives could happen. Warford's twitter account (yes I twitter stalked him) still lists Kentucky as his place of residence so maybe he'd be good with such a deal, especially in the time of coronavirus (eg one of the reasons Dalton decided to sign in Dallas).
Reply/Quote
FWIW, Watford "only" made the Pro-Bowl this last year as a replacement.

I am not deep enough in the weeds on scheme/fit issues to say how a lineman fits, but it seems he is not a great fit and we orefer better movement to behemoth run blockers at G.

Also, Thuney is younger than Watford and an OH native. Centerville, I think. If he plays out this year on the tag he might be an option next year if we want a $10 million dollar guard.

I cannot believe I am typing this, but I think I lean no on this one.
Reply/Quote