Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some reasons to feel good heading into the Steelers game
I feel good going into this game because it is a 1:00 game.

...somebody had to say it
Reply/Quote
Crying about giving them the Bengals on a short week? Just shut up and count yourself lucky the league gave you a game during Burfict's suspension.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I know it's a Bengals-Steelers game but the fact that it's only week 2 seems to have taken some of the luster off. The game is important of course, but like a previous poster said, either team going 1-1 is not going to jump off a cliff.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 06:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Obviously we've been pretty abysmal vs the Steelers for over a decade now, but there are a few reasons for optimism.

1. The Steelers offense isn't nearly as explosive vs our defense. They averaged 20.3 points and 360 yards against the Bengals, 27.1 and 401 vs everyone else. This is including a game where our defense played like they knew they just lost their franchise QB.

2. Miller and Bryant combined for 38 catches in 3 games last year. Obviously they won't be around for this one. Miller in particular is going to be a huge loss. He had 10 catches in each of the regular season games. Brown was covered and Ben kept dumping it to Heath.

3. Speaking of Ben, he's been pretty mediocre against the Bengals over the last 4 seasons (9 games). He has a 85.4 rating with more turnovers (12) than TDs (11). This continued last year, when he had only 2 TDs to 4 INTs.

4. The Bengals are 3-4 in the last 7 full games Dalton has played.

5. From 2013-15 (5 starts), Dalton has a 85.1 rating against the Steelers. Completing 62.3% with 8 TDs and only 5 INTs. Considering that the Steelers have shut down our passing game dating back to the Palmer days, the numbers are encouraging. Dalton has actually had a better passer rating then Ben in 3 of their last 4 matchups, with the Bengals going 2-1 when that happens.

6. AJ Green dominated them last year for 321 yards. Plus he had a TD in each game.

7. DeAngelo Williams was mostly held in check in his only start against us last year. 76 yards on 23 carries. He did punch it in twice, but managed only 3.3 ypc and 2 catches for 15 yards.

and finally...

8. The Steelers are 8-7 without Bell (including playoffs) since he was drafted. One of those losses happened to be a week 2 game @Bengals. One of the very rare wins for the Bengals in Cincinnati.

With no Bell, Heath or Bryant, I think we have a good shot to win in Pittsburgh. We've been much more competitive against those guys recently (when our QB is healthy and our receivers aren't decimated). So do you guys have any reasons why you're feeling good going into this game? Or is there a particular stat you find interesting?

Since you asked, below is the stat that I find most interesting.

We all know of Marvin's 0 & 7 playoff futility. The meltdown in big games against quality opponents is no secret. Squandering timeouts is not unusual. Lack of discipline has been a problem. National T.V. is not a friend of Marvin's

But here is the stat that nobody is talking about. Marvin has been absolutely dismal vs. his arch rival. He has been flat out bullied and whipped. For some reason nobody ever talks about his record vs the Steelahs.

I could be wrong, but I believe that Sunday's game will leave him with either 8 wins and 21 losses or 9 wins and 20 losses.
Either way it's pretty miserable. A heck of a lot for Bengal fans to have to take.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 09:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Crying about giving them the Bengals on a short week for them? Just shut up and count yourself lucky the league gave you a game during Burfict's suspension.

I still don't know how the hell they got him for 3 games. First suspension for 3 games? wtf? They didn't even reduce it when they reduce everything. Hell, they reduced GREG ***** HARDYS suspension more than half last year, and that was WAY worse than what Burfict did.
Reply/Quote
No matter what way you spin it, this will be a tough match up. It'll be close. Maybe a difference of a field goal. Can't let them get ahead though. Ben will push for 30+ points and he'll get it.

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 11:07 AM)Antares Wrote: Since you asked, below is the stat that I find most interesting.

We all know of Marvin's 0 & 7 playoff futility. The meltdown in big games against quality opponents is no secret. Squandering timeouts is not unusual. Lack of discipline has been a problem. National T.V. is not a friend of Marvin's

But here is the stat that nobody is talking about. Marvin has been absolutely dismal vs. his arch rival. He has been flat out bullied and whipped. For some reason nobody ever talks about his record vs the Steelahs.

I could be wrong, but I believe that Sunday's game will leave him with either 8 wins and 21 losses or 9 wins and 20 losses.
Either way it's pretty miserable. A heck of a lot for Bengal fans to have to take.

I acknowledged the suckitude in the OP. The whole purpose of this thread was to find some glimmers of hope despite Marv's overall record. I understand the pessimism though.

I will say this. It seems every team in this division struggles with somebody. We struggle mightily with the Steelers. The Steelers struggle (to a leser degree) with the Ravens. The Ravens struggle with the Bengals, and the Browns struggle with... everybody. I'm not excusing it, but we're not alone.

(09-15-2016, 11:19 AM)jeremydc Wrote: No matter what way you spin it, this will be a tough match up. It'll be close. Maybe a difference of a field goal. Can't let them get ahead though. Ben will push for  30+ points and he'll get it.

It'll definitely be a tough - and close - game. I don't think anyone is debating that. I wouldn't be so sure that Ben gets 30 points though. The Steelers have only hit that mark in 2 of our last 6 games, and that was when he had guys like Bell, Bryant and Heath at his disposal. I'm thinking this will be a 23-17 type of game. Flip a coin on who wins.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 06:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Obviously we've been pretty abysmal vs the Steelers for over a decade now, but there are a few reasons for optimism.

1. The Steelers offense isn't nearly as explosive vs our defense. They averaged 20.3 points and 360 yards against the Bengals, 27.1 and 401 vs everyone else. This is including a game where our defense played like they knew they just lost their franchise QB.

2. Miller and Bryant combined for 38 catches in 3 games last year. Obviously they won't be around for this one. Miller in particular is going to be a huge loss. He had 10 catches in each of the regular season games. Brown was covered and Ben kept dumping it to Heath.

3. Speaking of Ben, he's been pretty mediocre against the Bengals over the last 4 seasons (9 games). He has a 85.4 rating with more turnovers (12) than TDs (11). This continued last year, when he had only 2 TDs to 4 INTs.

4. The Bengals are 3-4 in the last 7 full games Dalton has played.

5. From 2013-15 (5 starts), Dalton has a 85.1 rating against the Steelers. Completing 62.3% with 8 TDs and only 5 INTs. Considering that the Steelers have shut down our passing game dating back to the Palmer days, the numbers are encouraging. Dalton has actually had a better passer rating then Ben in 3 of their last 4 matchups, with the Bengals going 2-1 when that happens.

6. AJ Green dominated them last year for 321 yards. Plus he had a TD in each game.

7. DeAngelo Williams was mostly held in check in his only start against us last year. 76 yards on 23 carries. He did punch it in twice, but managed only 3.3 ypc and 2 catches for 15 yards.

and finally...

8. The Steelers are 8-7 without Bell (including playoffs) since he was drafted. One of those losses happened to be a week 2 game @Bengals. One of the very rare wins for the Bengals in Cincinnati.

With no Bell, Heath or Bryant, I think we have a good shot to win in Pittsburgh. We've been much more competitive against those guys recently (when our QB is healthy and our receivers aren't decimated). So do you guys have any reasons why you're feeling good going into this game? Or is there a particular stat you find interesting?

Great post Shake. I have been wondering why so many are picking the Steelers to win this one. I have been
saying since that gut wrenching Playoff game that it sure looks like we are slowly going to start taking over
this rivalry. Not saying the Steelers cannot win this game with the refs on their side but i would be surprised.

Like you state here, our Defense is the one Defense that gives them troubles.

Their Secondary is going to have troubles with Dalton, Green and company if he has some time to throw. Even
if he doesn't have much time we just saw he can still will the team to a win.

That just happened against a better Defense last week.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 10:29 PM)jason Wrote: How did one game; a win on the road vs. a 10 win team make you feel that way? I agree that they looked shaky at times, but that W still counts. The Redskins are a very mediocre team. Pittsburgh put a whoopin on them as they should. Do you think the Steelers would have looked any better than the Bengals did if they opened in New York 15 years after 9/11? I don't ... I doubted the narrative that the energy of the crowd would propel the Jets the way it did, but I was wrong. The Bengals took their best punch, and beat them. The Steelers played a meh team, and won. We'll see how this week plays out.

I just feel it, cant explain it really.  Went and watched them practice, before season and it felt something was a miss.  I am hoping I am wrong, and we destroy the Stoolers, but I am not holding my breath on it.  Something is a miss. 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 08:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Appreciate your honesty.  Let me try to give you some enthusiasm to get you a bit higher in the air (following your flight analogy).

The biggest improvement you will see in any team is typically between weeks 1 and 2.  Zamp has been around for over a decade of battles against the team to our east.  He knows what will work against their defense.  The offensive line saw some very exotic stunts and twists that they had some lapses in communication on and a couple sacks were simply Dalton getting the rust off and holding the ball too long.  Look how he finished!  Something like 20 of 23 for over 250 yards and a TD?  The defense was dead set on not giving up big plays and keeping Decker and Marshall in check...mission accomplished.  I didn't like seeing Forte go off, but I would take giving up 22 points on the road to a loaded team in week 1. 

Oh, and wearing the black jerseys in that 90+ degree heat couldn't have helped matters in week 1. 

The steelers looked like world beaters...against a team that would contend with the Browns for last in our division. The NFC East sucks rhinoceros balls. They are awful on defense (great use of a $15 million per year CB, put him on one side and don't move him with Brown...how'd that work out for ya, Jay?  Pinhead) and Cousins was bouncing passes on 8 yard patterns with no defender nearby.  Skins beat themselves as much as steelers beat them.  Even former steeler Jim Miller was saying that almost any team could have beat that redskins team. 

I'm also hopeful that Dennard becomes the second player to finally make an impact after a long injury history with little to no playing time (Margus was first).  He went full go yesterday.  Wouldn't it be amazing to see him get a pick?

The Bengals know one was stolen from them last year.  The refs, the fumble, the fact the (&%&$ rain stopped RIGHT WHEN HE FUMBLED AND pITT GOT THE BALL BACK (still have issues).  Not this time.  Not this year.  Not any longer...the Bengals flip the script Sunday and it will be the beginning of the end of Pig Ben. 

You are getting me there man!!  LOL... I am going to watch closely and see what energy the boys bring.  I am deflated after last seasons game as well...  Maybe it is like a really bad hangover.  (:"
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 03:42 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: I just feel it, cant explain it really.  Went and watched them practice, before season and it felt something was a miss.  I am hoping I am wrong, and we destroy the Stoolers, but I am not holding my breath on it.  Something is a miss. 
I have a feeling they will take a step back record wise this year, but that's easy to do from 12-4. I just don't see them losing more than 6 games so long as they don't have any more major injuries. Do they win on Sunday? Who knows. I'm not down on them though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
We really need to attack their secondary. Try to make it a long day back there. I would definitely throw over the top and work the sidelines. That, to me, is their weakest point.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 09:58 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: This is Rare for me, however, this year we look like half the team we were last year.  I hope that changes when Vontaze, Eifert, and some help on the D comes back.  The stoolers look really good and they have some major key players out.. My enthusiasm at this point is flying a bit low..  but Hope this game changes that for me personally.

Half the team?

Come on Marlon, we just went into New York on 9/11 and beat a 10 win Jets team with arguably the best
D-line in the game. We pretty much shut down Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker one of the best WR duos
in the league. Our O-line is not going to play that bad all year long. Ogbuehi played his first game as a
starter and will get better.

Dalton's will in that game along with the adjustments to beat the Jets coverage was astounding.

Green looks better than ever. Atkins looks better than ever. Lafell and Boyd look like they can fill the gap
left by MLJ and Sanu and then some which was my biggest question besides Bodine this year.

Bodine is the only question i have and he is the same Center we had last year.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 04:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Half the team?

Come on Marlon, we just went into New York on 9/11 and beat a 10 win Jets team with arguably the best
D-line in the game. We pretty much shut down Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker one of the best WR duos
in the league. Our O-line is not going to play that bad all year long. Ogbuehi played his first game as a

Dalton's will in that game along with the adjustments to beat the Jets coverage was astounding.

Green looks better than ever. Atkins looks better than ever. Lafell and Boyd look like they can fill the gap
left by MLJ and Sanu and then some which was my biggest question besides Bodine this year.

Allow me to answer your question as to one Russell Bodine... He ain't very good.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I wonder if the Steelers will tighten up their celebrations after Brown's fine. I'm not that hip but I thought girls "twerked" to advertise for guys at the clubs. I'm sure his teammates are trying to sway him into doing twerks on the sidelines to prevent a fine and simulate their weekends at gay bars.
Reply/Quote
My prediction?
Ben will WISELY use the dink and dunk and Williams in space with a ton of success. The Bengals will not, get desperate and be forced to make long low % plays. Bengals fans will be screaming and throwing crap at the TV for the Bengals not using the same strategy with our guys and especially GIO.

End result? Another Pepto Bismol finish.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 06:55 PM)phil413 Wrote: I wonder if the Steelers will tighten up their celebrations after Brown's fine.  I'm not that hip but I thought girls "twerked" to advertise for guys at the clubs.  I'm sure his teammates are trying to sway him into doing twerks on the sidelines to prevent a fine and simulate their weekends at gay bars.

Now now.  They work hard and they play hard.

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 04:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Half the team?

I know I know...  I am trying to get out of this mood..  and YOU are HELPING!!!  My HOMERness is low this year for some reason..  We will see what happens against the idiots...  Our Secondary was a little iffy over the middle against the Jets so I am waiting and to see what rogers and brown will do...  
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 08:58 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: I know I know...  I am trying to get out of this mood..  and YOU are HELPING!!!  My HOMERness is low this year for some reason..  We will see what happens against the idiots...  Our Secondary was a little iffy over the middle against the Jets so I am waiting and to see what rogers and brown will do...  

Marlon, our secondary executed the game plan!  The game plan was clearly to limit Decker and Marshall....and it worked.  I didn't like seeing our LBs get dusted by Matt Forte, but the game plan held their offense down.  Did you see the 37 points they dropped on Buffalo last night...in Buffalo?  The same Buffalo that held the Ratbirds to 13 points?  

The Jets offense is for real.  We will see what motivation they have against putzburg...I'm betting a lot. 

We're here for you Marlon!  In the immortal words of Billy Bob:  "Near I walk through the shadow of death, I will fear no &$^# from putzburg" - or something like that  Whatever
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 08:58 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: I know I know...  I am trying to get out of this mood..  and YOU are HELPING!!!  My HOMERness is low this year for some reason..  We will see what happens against the idiots...  Our Secondary was a little iffy over the middle against the Jets so I am waiting and to see what rogers and brown will do...  

I can name a few.

Even with my harsh critique of the Bengals, I have a feeling we will break the play-off curse this season.

Reply/Quote