Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Space X
Been a while since I've felt this way. Americans launching on American soil. I'm old enough (barely) to remember the Apollo missions (used to get patches in cereal). of course the difference this time is privatization. Here's to bfine walking on the moon during his lifetime.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Wait. What? Where was Elon Musk born?
(05-30-2020, 05:34 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Wait. What? Where was Elon Musk born?

See, I'm an Elon Musk skeptic. Can't stand him. But this achievement is more about the people that put all of the actual work to make this happen. The crews at NASA and Space X made this happen and it's good to see it after 9 years. I'm not even a big fan of space stuff when it comes to science, but there is something awesome about it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Big fan.

Pretty sure Elon is an Alien trying to get home. But I support his endeavors.
As a TSLA stockholder, I was fully clenched.

Wish my son had been up to watch it, watched it on my phone as he slept next to me. Awesome sight.
Agreed.

Kudos to the private/public partnership spearheaded by the smaller government Obama administration.

Mellow
(05-30-2020, 05:34 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Wait. What? Where was Elon Musk born?

South Africa. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-30-2020, 08:15 PM)Benton Wrote: Agreed.

Kudos to the private/public partnership spearheaded by the smaller government Obama administration.

Mellow

Indeed.  Smirk

All seriousness aside I don't think I've watched a launch on television since the Challenger.  Thoroughly enjoyed it as well as explain the various things to my decidedly non-space geek wife who also enjoyed watching.  I need to dig into how they use so much less thrust with the new rockets.  It's amazing.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-30-2020, 09:26 PM)GMDino Wrote:   I need to dig into how they use so much less thrust with the new rockets.  It's amazing.

Rocks in a pond. There's more people now, so there's less space between them. That pushes things up easier.
(05-30-2020, 09:39 PM)Benton Wrote: Rocks in a pond. There's more people now, so there's less space between them. That pushes things up easier.

Ah!  I guess it's not rocket science. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-30-2020, 09:41 PM)GMDino Wrote: Ah!  I guess it's not rocket science. Mellow

Hilarious

(05-30-2020, 09:41 PM)GMDino Wrote: Ah!  I guess it's not rocket science. Mellow

Seriously, though, I'm interested in what they did. It's very different than previous shuttles.
Glad to see a successful launch. This country needs so much more positive/inspiring news.
(05-31-2020, 02:05 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Glad to see a successful launch. This country needs so much more positive/inspiring news.

For sure! Although I feel it will be overlooked in the grand scheme of things ?
(05-30-2020, 10:45 PM)Benton Wrote: Seriously, though, I'm interested in what they did. It's very different than previous shuttles.

You know what they say.  

It's not about the size of the rocket; it's how you use the thrust.

They = your mom
Not a Musk fan, but glad to have Boeing with a fire under their ass for once. Competition is good.
(06-01-2020, 06:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You know what they say.  

It's not about the size of the rocket; it's how you use the thrust.

They = your mom

Well, yeah, my mom is an aerospace engineer.

Mellow
(06-01-2020, 06:30 PM)treee Wrote: Not a Musk fan, but glad to have Boeing with a fire under their ass for once. Competition is good.

Amazing how quickly other companies that were very content for years to charge $300m+ for satellite launches all of a sudden quickly found ways to make their launches less expensive when a new guy shows up charging ~$80-100m.

But even then you have some contracts given out that you really have to question, like how much it'll cost to get an Astronaut to the ISS... https://www.space.com/spacex-boeing-commercial-crew-seat-prices.html
Boeing per-Astronaut Cost: $90m
Soyuz per-Astronaut Cost: $86m
SpaceX per-Astronaut Cost: $55m

Some Boeing lobbyist earned their pay getting that contract at that price somehow.

- - - - - - - -

Agreed though that you don't have to be a Musk fan to appreciate what's being done as far as the pricing shakeup and technological advancements.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]