Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spin or No Spin
Hobs wrote..

The knock on Vea is that he won’t give you much of a pass rush but the Bengals don’t need it with first-ballot Hall-of-Famer Geno Atkins[Image: icon-article-link.gif] next to him. If the Bengals don’t have a shot at Vea, they should have a chance at other run stuffers later. They could use some height and ballast in there and prospects like 6-3, 291-pound Taven Bryan of Florida, 6-2, 335-pound Tim Settle of Virginia Tech, and 6-4, 288-pound Da’Shawn Hand of Alabama may be answers in the first 100.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Big-haul/e9ee6780-7d6e-4991-a3e7-ebe1d6a3bfb2

Is Geno shoe in Hall-of-Famer? Or a first ballot Hall-of-Famer?

I'm not sold. But not because of anything Geno does wrong, but he doesn't get that kind of respect. He actually hasn't gotten much respect since Aaron Donald booted him from everyone's top 3T list years ago.

I think he's good. But not sure he gets that kind of love (outside of Cinci) after his first 3 years in the league.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
He has been voted a top 100 player by his peers the last two years (#29 16', #68 17'). As the HoF voting goes more analytical as the years go on it bodes well for him as he is always rated as one of the best defensive players of any position by sites like PFF. I think he will get in, not sure I'd call him first ballot, but I'd bet he gets in as long as he stays productive for 3 or 4 more years.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 11:58 AM)jj22 Wrote: Hobs wrote..

The knock on Vea is that he won’t give you much of a pass rush but the Bengals don’t need it with first-ballot Hall-of-Famer Geno Atkins[Image: icon-article-link.gif] next to him. If the Bengals don’t have a shot at Vea, they should have a chance at other run stuffers later. They could use some height and ballast in there and prospects like 6-3, 291-pound Taven Bryan of Florida, 6-2, 335-pound Tim Settle of Virginia Tech, and 6-4, 288-pound Da’Shawn Hand of Alabama may be answers in the first 100.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Big-haul/e9ee6780-7d6e-4991-a3e7-ebe1d6a3bfb2

Is Geno shoe in Hall-of-Famer? Or a first ballot Hall-of-Famer?

I'm not sold. But not because of anything Geno does wrong, but he doesn't get that kind of respect. He actually hasn't gotten much respect since Aaron Donald booted him from everyone's top 3T list years ago.

I think he's good. But not sure he gets that kind of love (outside of Cinci) after his first 3 years in the league.

Geno is very highly respected around the league, but first ballot HoF is quite a statement. Then you have to consider that a moron is making that statement.

Reply/Quote
Barring injury, I think he's a HOFer.  I'm not sure about 1st ballot, but he's worthy of a bust for sure.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
If Bengals make it o play in a Super bowl ( meaning Marv needs to be fired) Geno will make Hall of Fame.

If we do not win even one playoff game during his career( very likely) he won't get in.
Reply/Quote
assuming he stays with Bengals.

I have no idea why Geno would re-sign with the Bengals.

Truly would like to see Geno and AJ sign their last major contract with a team that has a legitimate shot at Super Bowl.

We don't.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 12:18 PM)bengals67 Wrote: If Bengals make it o play in a Super bowl ( meaning Marv needs to be fired) Geno will make Hall of Fame.

If we do not win even one playoff game during his career( very likely) he won't get in.

Key point right here. Legacy's are built in the post season.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
He is easily even if he retired today.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 01:11 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He is easily even if he retired today.

Like Ken Reilly?
Reply/Quote
Being a Bengal with lack of post season success he is "up against it".

Certainly a HOF in my book and heart.

Yet so were others that were snubbed by Hall.

Life is tough and even tougher when you are a Bengals player trying to get recognition or even a fan in general.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
First ballot? Lol no. That's reserved for legends like Rice, Favre, Montana etc.

HOF? If he keeps racking up sacks, Pro Bowls and All-Pro's for a few more years, absolutely.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 01:34 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Like Ken Reilly?

Ken Reilly didn't have PFF backing him up or pro football focus.
J24

Reply/Quote
By the way why do they need a nose tackle and not a pass rusher?
J24

Reply/Quote
HOF ? 2 or 3 more years of top numbers he's got a great chance.

First Ballot ? no, he'd have to have 3 or 4 more years of outstanding numbers and a couple deep playoff runs/ring to be a first ballot.
Reply/Quote
Geno should get in, but he's a Bengal, so unless we win the SB with him starting, it'll be an uphill climb. But he's deserving of it.

Now back to the other part?? Why do we not need a pass rusher? we have run stuffers already with out having to draft another one??
Reply/Quote
If he played for a bigger market, he would be first ballot, no doubt.

That said, he's still a HoFer. Maybe just 2nd or 3rd ballot. As it stands, he'll finish with 100+ sacks as a DT, making him have the 3rd or 4th highest sacks for a DT all-time. He also is a 6x Pro-Bowler, 3x All-Pro (1st and 2nd). When his career is finished, he'll probably be at least around the 10x and 5x marks.

Atkins is the only person I am confident about being the 2nd HoFer for the Bengals (assuming they don't wake the F up and finally bring in Kenny Anderson and Ken Riley).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --

From the quote of the OP, I do have to say that the thinking that "we don't need pass rush from him, we have this guy" is freaking HORRIBLE. In today's NFL, you need everyone to give you some pass rushing. Otherwise you end up with like Sims and Billings on the field at the same time, and the QB having 8 seconds to throw.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I agree with others Geno isn't a first ballot HOF'er but he should make the HOF for sure. BTW i watch Aaron Donald when the
Rams play and he is good but i think he is a little overrated. Geno is a better pass rusher as a 3 tech.

Also Vea can rush the passer and so can Billings if he can get 100% again.

Would love to have all 3 of these guys on the Bengals. Re-sign Geno to a big extension and Dunlap to a 3 year deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 03:20 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: By the way why do they need a nose tackle and not a pass rusher?

They have plenty of pass rushers, they just added Willis and Lawson last season.  The problem was rushing yards allowed.  This defense got their asses worn out, by not stopping the run and forcing teams into passing situation.

While ultimately I feel like OL is the greatest need, I would not be upset in the least bit if they went NT in the 1st round.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 04:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They have plenty of pass rushers, they just added Willis and Lawson last season.  The problem was rushing yards allowed.  This defense got their asses worn out, by not stopping the run and forcing teams into passing situation.

While ultimately I feel like OL is the greatest need, I would not be upset in the least bit if they went NT in the 1st round.

For sure, and while i still think Billings could be this guy for us i am all for taking a player like Vita Vea in the first as insurance.

I don't like getting run on like that, pisses me off.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 05:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: For sure, and while i still think Billings could be this guy for us i am all for taking a player like Vita Vea in the first as insurance.

I don't like getting run on like that, pisses me off.

Injuries aside, a quick read of Billings' draft profile showed holes in his game.  Without looking to refresh my memory, I think lack of lateral quickness was the big knock.  Now, I still think that if works hard and develops well, he can be a reliable average to slightly above starter for many years.

However Vea just seems to have a great deal of athleticism and explosiveness to him.  Think that I read that he grew up playing Rugby, and you know those guys can run like Soccer players.  So, I'm guessing that his gas tank is built to last. Not to mention that he's got that Samoan toughness about him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote