Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sporting News Ranks AJ McCarron League's Best Backup QB
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/nfl-backup-quarterbacks-ranking-plans-depth-chart/lwx90g1gonpb1w5whxmbodayg/slide/32

"A.J. McCarron showed enough in three regular-season starts and a near playoff comeback to instill a lot of confidence in his future as an NFL starter. The Bengals have a lot invested in Andy Dalton, so it might not come with the Bengals. But McCarron gives Cincinnati the best backup plan in the NFL right now. He has “it,” and he’ll cash in on those intangibles at some point. Confidence: 10"
Reply/Quote
Didn't really show that much. But alright.

I mean, they put Drew Stanton as the #2 backup QB.

And ranked Mike Glennon as #20.

I don't take this list seriously at all.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
rankings seemed about right. Glennon could've been higher. My faves are Airin McCarron, Stanton, Shaun Hill, and Matt Moore
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
i respect McCarron's patience and ability to take what the defense/his supporting cast give him.  Was it obvious that he can carry a game or hammer home a clutch TD drive?  No...but he didn't look incapable of being "that guy" either.  If I were a team like the Broncos or Jets I'd be thinking pretty hard about seeking a trade.
Reply/Quote
Quality backups are important. McCarron was a great pick.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2016, 06:56 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/nfl-backup-quarterbacks-ranking-plans-depth-chart/lwx90g1gonpb1w5whxmbodayg/slide/32

"A.J. McCarron showed enough in three regular-season starts and a near playoff comeback to instill a lot of confidence in his future as an NFL starter. The Bengals have a lot invested in Andy Dalton, so it might not come with the Bengals. But McCarron gives Cincinnati the best backup plan in the NFL right now. He has “it,” and he’ll cash in on those intangibles at some point. Confidence: 10"

I didn't see it...

so 3 horrible quarters in a playoff game... then a few good drives on short fields due to excellent D play.. and your the best around????  alright. I  guess

he did play decent vs denver
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2016, 07:18 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Didn't really show that much. But alright.

I mean, they put Drew Stanton as the #2 backup QB.

And ranked Mike Glennon as #20.

I don't take this list seriously at all.

If you watched Glennon during his time as a starter in Tampa, there is a reason he was ranked #20. 
Reply/Quote
Best backup in the NFL ? Not so sure I'd go that far. Top 1/3 maybe ?

McCarron showed promise at times displaying good pocket awareness, good throws, etc. Then next series, umm not so much not unlike a lot of younger QB's.

To me the jury is still out on him. In that debacle of a playoff game his play wasn't great to say the least. But that's pretty normal around here so it's hard for me to put a lot of blame on him.

I'm just not so sure about him yet ? I'd like to think he's got it, but I just don't know ? Hopefully we won't have to find out.
Reply/Quote
Just put it this way, I'm nowhere near as nervous about Andy getting injured as I was before McCarron became #2....
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2016, 01:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Just put it this way, I'm nowhere near as nervous about Andy getting injured as I was before McCarron became #2....

I completely agree with this.  I think that, at a minimum, he showed that he can keep the team competitive and in games.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2016, 10:07 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I didn't see it...

so 3 horrible quarters in a playoff game... then a few good drives on short fields due to excellent D play.. and your the best around????  alright. I  guess

That 1 good clutch playoff quarter happened to be the best the Bengals have had in years though. That has to count for something. Our starters have done nothing but fold in the second half come playoff time. I'm not saying that McCarron should be the starter, but just pointing out that he did deliver something our last two starters have failed to do in multiple attempts.

A few of the better backup QBs from last year or the year before, have become starters around the league: Kurt Cousins, Oswheiler and Fitzpatrick. Cousins and Fitzpatrick had good years as starters.

I am surprised that NE backup QB Garoppolo wasn't listed as #1. That would have been my pick for the top backup QB and I'd have listed McCarron as #2.

Overall, it was a well spent 5th round pick. Just think we could have been stuck with Josh Johnson in those games. Parrish the thought.

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2016, 10:07 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I didn't see it...

Until Denver switched it up on him. Then he didn't do anything.

I agree, i don't see it either but he is decent. I like him as our backup but it shows how bad backup QB's are for him to be
even mentioned as the best backup. He played his best against the Niners IMHO and that isn't saying much besides Bowman.
Reply/Quote
Seems about right to me.
Those others are more experienced than, and AJ also showed improvement, which is what you want out of a Backup, most of those others are capped out already.
Reply/Quote
Since taking over for Andy in the Steeler's AJ McCarron has played in 5 games. 3 have been against tough division foes, 1 against the Super Bowl champion, and one out on the W.C. where we are known to struggle.

In 2 of those games he had a passer rating over 100
In 3 of those games he had a passer rating over 90
In 4 of those games he had a passer rating over 87
In the 5th of those games he had the best playoff performance by a Bengal QB since Boomer Esiason.

If anyone has anything negative to say about a kid who has only started 4 NFL in his career, they are just looking too hard for the negative. In my book he is the best backup in the NFL and soon will be a qauality starter.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-06-2016, 06:56 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/nfl-backup-quarterbacks-ranking-plans-depth-chart/lwx90g1gonpb1w5whxmbodayg/slide/32

So what they're saying is he should be starting QB of the Browns? Ninja
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2016, 11:15 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: If you watched Glennon during his time as a starter in Tampa, there is a reason he was ranked #20. 

He's actually had some really good games if you actually watched him.

I mean, dude was actually forced to carry his team in 2013. They had ZERO running game and had very little besides Vincent Jackson. Plus that O-line was atrocious. Mike Glennon actually did well after being thrown in. 19 TDs in 2013 in only 13 games with 9 INTs.

In 2014 he didn't seem much playing time, and did decent. Nothing great, but decent.

Mike Glennon averaged throwing the ball 32 times. He basically had to BE the offense. McCarron never had to "carry" an offense, he's had weapons around him.

I mean, people talk about Winston having a great rookie season. But he didn't do much better than Glennon in 2013. And Glennon had less games and less to work with.

I mean, McCarron has 1 less fumble than Glennon, meanwhile Glennon has played in 19 games and McCarron in 5.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
A year ago I said, "The average Bengal fan does not appreciate the steal that the organization got when they drafted AJ McCarron in the 5th round." AJ thread

I think now, the average Bengal fan does appreciate his game. I love seeing him so high in this article but I'm not so sure I'd put him as the number one backup in the league right now. The media just loves the guy because he draws so much attention. Still this article is a reflection of how a lot of people are high on him outside the organization. 

Can't wait for pre-season again! 
Reply/Quote
And yet franchises picked Sanchez and Osweiler over him, and didn't even contact the Bengals for him.
Reply/Quote
Good backup. It'd be great if he were better against man coverage but some of that is about ball placement coupled with zippy throws (not to mention having worked with the receiver through a lot of reps) so for a backup, he's good stuff.

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2016, 07:52 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: And yet franchises picked Sanchez and Osweiler over him, and didn't even contact the Bengals for him.

Pretty sure teams did inquire about him.  I seem to remember reading some articles about it, but can't say for sure
Reply/Quote