Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sporting News Ranks AJ McCarron League's Best Backup QB
(07-16-2016, 09:31 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: This is a fun AJ McCarron 2016 Bengal highlight video, (especially if you like Dire Straits)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_p2BJCrC48

I have never laughed so hard in my life.  Just saw this link, watched the vid, scrolled down to comments and saw some darsh bashing McCarron.

Guess who it was? 

Guess who's so obsessed with trashing this guy that he couldn't help himself?

Quote:brownshoeT21 month ago

best backup in the NFL? lol, you guys are funny.

Quote:brownshoeT23 weeks ago

+The L Taker
I think you severely overrate McCarron. What has McCarron ever done that has been impressive? Him having trouble scoring any points unless it's on the opponents side of the field? Him holding onto the ball forever and getting happy feet and having almost the amount of sacks Dalton had when McCarron only played 4 games? Having about a 30% conversion rate on 3rd down? What has McCarron done? I see the team carrying him on their back, and that's about it. If McCarron was on a team like the 2011 Bengals the offense would be dead last.

Total clownshoes.

AJ's having a fine preseason.  Nice to have 2 QBs who can sling it.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 12:02 AM)BigSeph Wrote: I have never laughed so hard in my life.  Just saw this link, watched the vid, scrolled down to comments and saw some darsh bashing McCarron.

Guess who it was? 

Guess who's so obsessed with trashing this guy that he couldn't help himself?

Total clownshoes.

AJ's having a fine preseason.  Nice to have 2 QBs who can sling it.

I wish McCarron could play well in the regular season or the post season, and not in games where it doesn't matter one bit, and against people who won't even be in the league in a few weeks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 12:02 AM)BigSeph Wrote: Guess who's so obsessed with trashing this guy that he couldn't help himself?

Not surprised by the attacker, not surprised by the defender either.   Wink 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Macaroni isn't going anywhere. The Bengals need him if Dalton gets hurt. Just like baseball carries 2 good catchers, NFL needs to carry 2 good QB's these days. I'd like to see Marvin Lewis put Macaroni in more during garbage times.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 12:16 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not surprised by the attacker, not surprised by the defender either.   Wink 

Got no problem standing up for AJM on the internets.

Glad to do it.
Reply/Quote
Jimmy Garoppolo is looking awfully darn good.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 12:59 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Jimmy Garoppolo is looking awfully darn good.

Dak Prescott is looking really good too.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 01:09 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Dak Prescott is looking really good too.

Didn't know about it until you mentioned it, but damn. He's tearing it up.  22/27 (81.5%), 338 yards, 4 TD/0 INT.. 5 rushes, 41 yards, 2 TD.

[Image: 89754-SHEEIT-gif-Clay-Davis-The-Wire-R90q.gif]

Reply/Quote
Fwiw, Tim Tebow tore up the preseason for the Eagles last year.

21 of 36, 286 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT (90.7 rating)
14 carries, 82 yards, 1 TD
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 12:59 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Jimmy Garoppolo is looking awfully darn good.

No kidding

[Image: 092befe48b09e2497d201128896471cd.jpg]

That's yummy.

:drool:
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 01:21 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Didn't know about it until you mentioned it, but damn. He's tearing it up.  22/27 (81.5%), 338 yards, 4 TD/0 INT.. 5 rushes, 41 yards, 2 TD.

[Image: 89754-SHEEIT-gif-Clay-Davis-The-Wire-R90q.gif]
Great numbers against defenses who are not scheming against him and are not playing their starters against him 100%. Let's see how he does if pressed into a regular season game (once Romo is hurt........again) before we anoint the guy as the next Cam Newton.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2016, 09:31 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: This is a fun AJ McCarron 2016 Bengal highlight video, (especially if you like Dire Straits)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_p2BJCrC48

This video just makes me miss Marvin Jones. Boyd, you better step up for us.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 01:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fwiw, Tim Tebow tore up the preseason for the Eagles last year.

21 of 36, 286 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT (90.7 rating)
14 carries, 82 yards, 1 TD

Those are good-ish numbers, but not really the same, Shake. Plus it's comparing a 6th year 1st round pick QB to a 1st year 4th round pick QB.

Plus "tore up" isn't exactly the words used for a 58.3% completion in preseason. Also forgot to mention that's in 4 games rather than the numbers I gave for 2. 3 TDs in 4 games =/= 6 TDs in 2 games.

(08-20-2016, 01:19 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Great numbers against defenses who are not scheming against him and are not playing their starters against him 100%. Let's see how he does if pressed into a regular season game (once Romo is hurt........again) before we anoint the guy as the next Cam Newton.

Not annointing him anything, and I haven't seen enough from the kid to say for sure that he'll run away from a fumble in the fourth quarter of the SB, so I won't insult him by calling him Cam Newton, either.

Just saying, damn impressive for a 4th round pick rookie, even if it's preseason.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 02:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Those are good-ish numbers, but not really the same, Shake. Plus it's comparing a 6th year 1st round pick QB to a 1st year 4th round pick QB.

Plus "tore up" isn't exactly the words used for a 58.3% completion in preseason. Also forgot to mention that's in 4 games rather than the numbers I gave for 2. 3 TDs in 4 games =/= 6 TDs in 2 games.

My point wasn't even aimed at you in particular. More the idea that preseason tells you much of anything about a QB. No blitzing, vanilla routes, vanilla schemes, playing with/against backups. 

I'd have to disagree that a 90.7 rating and 8 YPA, with only 1 INT in 36 attempts (plus the plays made with his feet) wasn't impressive. Tebow was splitting time with Barkley competing for 3rd QB though, so obviously he wasn't seeing the amount of snaps Prescott is. Plus he wasn't even with a team the previous year, and had to learn his 4th offense in 4 seasons. So I'm not sure Tebow had a huge advantage with his situation.

Either way, my point is that we should probably take preseason stats with some grain of salt. 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 04:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: My point wasn't even aimed at you in particular. More the idea that preseason tells you much of anything about a QB. No blitzing, vanilla routes, vanilla schemes, playing with/against backups. 

I'd have to disagree that a 90.7 rating and 8 YPA, with only 1 INT in 36 attempts (plus the plays made with his feet) wasn't impressive. Tebow was splitting time with Barkley competing for 3rd QB though, so obviously he wasn't seeing the amount of snaps Prescott is. Plus he wasn't even with a team the previous year, and had to learn his 4th offense in 4 seasons. So I'm not sure Tebow had a huge advantage with his situation.

Either way, my point is that we should probably take preseason stats with some grain of salt. 

Oh, most certainly. You're right that preseason doesn't really mean much.

Hard to really compare backup QBs without it, though, until a starter goes down and they get a chance.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 04:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Either way, my point is that we should probably take preseason stats with some grain of salt. 

Agreed.

Remember when Teddy was having an amazing preseason last year and everyone thought he was going to do amazing?

Dude went 29 for 35 all of preseaon and was throwing bombs and darts everywhere. Only to have 14 TDs all of the regular season and struggle with down the field throws.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 04:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Oh, most certainly. You're right that preseason doesn't really mean much.

Hard to really compare backup QBs without it, though, until a starter goes down and they get a chance.

True true. It beats a blank if you're trying to make a comparison.

(08-20-2016, 05:16 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Agreed.

Remember when Teddy was having an amazing preseason last year and everyone thought he was going to do amazing?

Dude went 29 for 35 all of preseaon and was throwing bombs and darts everywhere. Only to have 14 TDs all of the regular season and struggle with down the field throws.

Teddy might just be the most overrated QB in the league. Talk about a game manager. The kid hardly ever went downfield. Dink and dunk city...when he wasn't handing off to AP and getting out of the way. I've seen Vikings fans argue that Teddy > Carr. I think that's being borderline delusional.
Reply/Quote