Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sports Illustrated projection
No way this is a 10 loss team. Even with the tough schedule, that prediction is just plain stupid.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 03:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals go 6-10 and finish dead last in the AFCN.

The only player we lost from last year was Terrance newman, and even SI agrees that our defensive backfield can "match the best in the league" but only "until free agency breaks it up".

Don't know how we can go from 5 lossses to 10 losses without losing any critical players at all while adding Michael Johnson and gettong a lot of key players back from injury.

And even harder to understand how we can not finish at least in front of the Browns.

The Bengals always do better playing from an underdog position than they do as favorites. So I'm good with the boneheads at SI making that prediction.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 09:31 AM)xavierdude Wrote: for someone that supposedly knows football..you seem to be lacking.. look at the schedule....lol@adding michael Johnson..yep hes a superstar

What exactly am I lacking that would make me understand why we are going to lose to Oakland, St Louis, Kansas City, and San Francisco?

And do you really believe that Michael Johnson was not an upgrade for our defense?
Reply/Quote
I'm guessing the author of this article is under the impression that the AFCN only looked good last year because of the weak divisions we played.

Can't say I completely disagree. We Played the two worst divisions in football, but maybe them playing the AFCN played a part in that.

I think the author just thinks we had a cakewalk schedule last year and that this year isn't one buuuuuut how many times have we discussed that a schedule means nothing as to how tough the teams will actually be this upcoming year...

Either way, I have faith Dalton will do what he does in the regular season, get us into the tourney.............. and then?
Reply/Quote
I'd say 6 is rather low, but possible if we suffer key injuries. I predict 8-8 at best.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 11:59 AM)Beaker Wrote: The Bengals always do better playing from an underdog position than they do as favorites. So I'm good with the boneheads at SI making that prediction.

Yeah really. Its like a jinx if they pick us to win.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 02:25 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I'm guessing the author of this article is under the impression that the AFCN only looked good last year because of the weak divisions we played.

Can't say I completely disagree. We Played the two worst divisions in football, but maybe them playing the AFCN played a part in that.

I think the author just thinks we had a cakewalk schedule last year and that this year isn't one buuuuuut how many times have we discussed that a schedule means nothing as to how tough the teams will actually be this upcoming year...

Either way, I have faith Dalton will do what he does in the regular season, get us into the tourney.............. and then?
In the AFCN they will always have a tough schedule.  Who knows?  But I think last year's schedule was tougher than this one.  They had a bye in the fourth week.... Worthless.  All it did was slow down the momentum of a 3-0 start. They played 3 road games in a row, and had to play NE in Foxboro, Denver, and @ PITT in primetime... And  had to play Luck and the Colts in Indy.

This year's schedule is no cakewalk, but they have a bye that could be useful for rest (and getting guys healthy).  Seattle, KC, and St. Louis come here, and they don't have to play the Pats or Colts.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 02:37 PM)Utts Wrote: I'd say 6 is rather low, but possible if we suffer key injuries. I predict 8-8 at best.

With all due respect, you're delirious.  If they could eke out 10 wins last year, 8 is most definitely not the ceiling.

Can you say cry for attention?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 02:37 PM)Utts Wrote: I'd say 6 is rather low, but possible if we suffer key injuries. I predict 8-8 at best.

Mr. Glass Half Full shows up again.

LOL
Reply/Quote
I think the Oakland game will be telling in terms of what this team will do this year. It's a long trip to play a team that seems to be trending upward. Del Rio is the closest thing they've had to a real coach in some time. I think the raiders will come out really fired up for that game. I think Cooper is a game changer for that team. It's huge that you're not dealing with the Rod Streaters and Andre Holmes type players when it comes to beating them in the passing game. He looks like an AJ Green/Julio Jones type talent that could step right in and cause problems for the Bengals.

All that said, the Bengals should be more than capable of winning that game. They're an experienced team that's got the talent and has been playing together for a long time. I don't expect the Bengals to blow them out, but losing shouldn't be an option if they're the kind of team they seem to think they are.

If they drop the Oakland game, then I'm a bit concerned about this season. If they can't prepare to deal with the wannabe upstarts like the Raiders, then I believe it's a flaw in their overall team mindset, and that they're not really much better, and perhaps even worse than they've been for the last 4 seasons. Gotta see if they still have the hunger.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 03:07 PM)jason Wrote: In the AFCN they will always have a tough schedule.  Who knows?  But I think last year's schedule was tougher than this one.  They had a bye in the fourth week.... Worthless.  All it did was slow down the momentum of a 3-0 start. They played 3 road games in a row, and had to play NE in Foxboro, Denver, and @ PITT in primetime... And  had to play Luck and the Colts in Indy.

This year's schedule is no cakewalk, but they have a bye that could be useful for rest (and getting guys healthy).  Seattle, KC, and St. Louis come here, and they don't have to play the Pats or Colts.

I completely agree.

I just think people look at our schedule last year and see Atlanta, Tennessee, Carolina, Jacksonville, Cleveland twice, new Orleans, Houston, and Tampa Bay...

We played A LOT of bottom feeder teams last year, and often played down to their level (Tampa)

So it's easy for someone to say.. "oh hey, the Bengals played all the bad teams last year, that's why the had a good record".
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 05:27 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I completely agree.

I just think people look at our schedule last year and see Atlanta, Tennessee, Carolina, Jacksonville, Cleveland twice, new Orleans, Houston, and Tampa Bay...

We played A LOT of bottom feeder teams last year, and often played down to their level (Tampa)

So it's easy for someone to say.. "oh hey, the Bengals played all the bad teams last year, that's why the had a good record".
Yeah.  It also wasn't clear when they beat Atlanta that the Falcons were sorry.  Losing to the Bengals early certainly contributed to their down year.  I know I was personally sweating that game at New Orleans.  They had not lost at home in quite some time, and I think the Bengals were fresh off the stink fest Thursday Browns game.  That game was borderline must win.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 12:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What exactly am I lacking that would make me understand why we are going to lose to Oakland, St Louis, Kansas City, and San Francisco?

And do you really believe that Michael Johnson was not an upgrade for our defense?

MJ should be considered an upgrade, yet depending on the timing of this article they would be considering no Burfict and no Newman. Also playing a schedule were playoff contorts like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Arizona, Denver, Kansas City, and Buffalo coupled with what might be persevere as 50-50 games, San Diego, St. Louis, Cleveland. It's not like 10 loses is inconceivable based on the playoff losses and perceived poor play against good teams.

I also do not think this will happen, but I will not get all sore if others think it will as any record from 4-12 to 16 - 0 seem possible to me as of now.
[Image: Sig.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 09:43 AM)xavierdude Wrote: on paper of course ?..the schedule is for real..this is a 12 plus win team if not so many tough games?..but those tough games do count.. so u atre saying the bengals cant win against "tough teams"..so lets just not play those tough teams and this would be a 12 plus win team

Bengals go 7-9   8-8...you will see changes at the end of the year..Lewis will be gone  and by that time Mc Carron will most likely be our starting quarterback

Here is a list of teams that we have defeated in last two years.. I don;t think you are correct in we can;t beat the tough teams when you look at this list

Baltimore (3 times)
Pittsburgh
Denver
Indianapolis
New England
Indianapolis
San Diego
Detroit
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 03:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: "Bengals go 6-10 and finish dead last in the AFCN.

The only player we lost from last year was Terrance newman, and even SI agrees that our defensive backfield can "match the best in the league" but only "until free agency breaks it up".

Don't know how we can go from 5 lossses to 10 losses without losing any critical players at all while adding Michael Johnson and gettong a lot of key players back from injury.

And even harder to understand how we can not finish at least in front of the Browns."

When was the last time the Bengals had a losing record?  Browns have no QB, Steelers have no defense.  Ravens pose the only real obstacle to the Bengal team with 4 straight playoff appearances and 4 straight ten win record...

On paper, the schedule looks tough but for the first time in a while the Bengals appear healthy.  If Burfict comes back and Dalton quits having meltdowns, this Bengal team will be tough to beat, even in the playoffs. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 03:12 PM)McC Wrote: With all due respect, you're delirious.  If they could eke out 10 wins last year, 8 is most definitely not the ceiling.

Can you say cry for attention?

The offense will not improve despite the return of MLJ and Eifert. Dalton is still Dalton, and I think he's getting worse not better. Add to that a fragile line and a shaky center, and you have a recipe for mediocrity at best.

We will continue to struggle with pressuring the QB, and our LB situation is a concern. Add to that the DB's are going to get worse not better with Hall and T-New getting old / moving on.

Now factor in the difficult schedule, and the coaching staffs inability to get this team to execute in big games. I say 8 is the ceiling, and I won't be surprised if the adversity causes an implosion leading to 6.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 11:22 PM)Utts Wrote: The offense will not improve despite the return of MLJ and Eifert. Dalton is still Dalton, and I think he's getting worse not better. Add to that a fragile line and a shaky center, and you have a recipe for mediocrity at best.

We will continue to struggle with pressuring the QB, and our LB situation is a concern. Add to that the DB's are going to get worse not better with Hall and T-New getting old / moving on.

Now factor in the difficult schedule, and the coaching staffs inability to get this team to execute in big games. I say 8 is the ceiling, and I won't be surprised if the adversity causes an implosion leading to 6.

I can do the same thing with each of our rivals.

Firstly, the schedule is harder for all of us.

Steelers - Lost their legendary defensive coordinator amongst many other starters. Will have to rely on rookies and second year players to live up to a vaunted reputation. Let's face it, the defense stunk last year already, and will be worse this year.

Their offense is good but they already lost pouncy for a period of time which will certainly hurt every aspect of their offense. Their players get suspended constantly and they are without two of their biggest weapons in one of their biggest games.

Ravens - The loss of Kubiak will hurt them more than anyone thinks. Does anyone really think that RB they had last year is anything without Kubiaks amazing offensive scheme? PFFT no way. They lost Torrey Smith, who, while being a crappy player most of the time, did make some spectacular plays now and then. Steve Smith is there... cool, but the rookie WR they drafted is hurt and wont start the season anytime soon, not to mention if that Pitta guy even plays anymore. They have very little offensive power, I honestly don't get the hype.

Defensivley, they are a good team, but they lose Ngata which is a pretty damn big blow. They lost their safety for the year I believe, which certainly doesn't help either. Didn't they also lose a starting corner in free agency? Once again, I'll believe this Raven hype when I see it.

Browns - Oh hey, Josh Mccown is going to be the savior of the offense... along with Dwayne Bowe. This is like a terrible fantasy football team, where the guy traded away all of his good players to his buddy for $5.

Their defense will still be very good.. they didn't lose much on that front.

I guess what I'm saying is If our ceiling is 8 wins, then the Steelers ceiling is 8 and the Ravens is 7. We are better than the teams in our division, so the record doesn't matter as long as we are better then them.
Reply/Quote
For what it's worth, and trying to be objective, 10-6 would be a disappointing year for us given our talent. I know we have 1 or 2 question marks, but this team can move the football. I'm just hoping we stay healthy. If we do, I think we can go 12-4 or 13-3 at the very least.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 03:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals go 6-10 and finish dead last in the AFCN.

And even harder to understand how we can not finish at least in front of the Browns.

On one side, a big difference between this year and last is going from one of the milder schedules to one the tougher schedules.

On the other side is what you mentioned about the Bengals getting back some healthy receivers.

I don't see how the Bengals can fall from 5 losses to 10. To end up at 10 losses we'd have to turn in a number of really weak performances. Our offense does have trouble against high pressure defenses and we could see a couple of stinkers. But that's a long ways from doubling our loses.

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 09:08 PM)Anderson HOF Wrote: Here is a list of teams that we have defeated in last two years.. I don;t think you are correct in we can;t beat the tough teams when you look at this list

Baltimore (3 times)
Pittsburgh
Denver
Indianapolis
New England
Indianapolis
San Diego
Detroit

Bengals record against good teams last two years
Baltimore 3-1
Pittsburgh 1-3
Denver 1-0
Indianapolis 1-2
New England 1-1
San Diego 1-1
Green Bay 1-0
Detroit 1-0
Miami 0-1

But we've also lost to some bad teams
Cleveland 2-2
Bears 0-1

In really important games we turn in some stinkers and this is the perception the NFL has of the Bengals. Fairly or not, rightly or wrongly matters little. It's up to this team to show that they can win in these games.

Reply/Quote