Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stanley Morgan Jr. Went Undrafted? WHY?
I’ve been on YouTube watching Stanley Morgan Jr. highlights from his last two years at Nebraska and will someone please tell me why this talented young man went undrafted? He has great hands, his route running is terrific, and he’s fast as can be. I really think Cincinnati got a steal with Morgan as an undrafted free agent. Besides, his father was a stud wide receiver for the Patriots in the pre-Brady era.

My prediction is he makes the team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think it was two things that made him undrafted. There were so many lower round 5th-7th types that a few were not getting drafted. Of those, there is the temptation to go athletic upside over polish. I'm very happy with a solid route runner. Nfl.com also said he has "excellent catch focus inside congested areas" and high points the ball well. Even if he gets minimal separation, that will earn Dalton's trust.
Reply/Quote
I have seen more than one draftnik ask the same question. Imo Aj, Boyd, Ross, and Erickson are safe. Erickson only because he seems like a ZT type of character guy. Every other WR on the roster better be ready for a fight. The days of keeping 7 WRs on the 53 is probably over
Reply/Quote
I think he makes the team. He reminds me of Sanu, muscular, tough to bring down. I think the knock on Morgan was lack of separation.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
With the increased knowledge of concussions, the size of the rosters need to be increased and the draft needs to go at least one more round, maybe two. They give out 32 comp picks every year, it's pretty much an eight round draft anyway. Wasn't Krumrie an 11th round pick?
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 02:46 AM)psychdoctor Wrote:  He reminds me of Sanu, . . .  I think the knock on Morgan was lack of separation.

Well, that sounds like Sanu.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 11:37 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’ve been on YouTube watching Stanley Morgan Jr. highlights from his last two years at Nebraska and will someone please tell me why this talented young man went undrafted?  He has great hands, his route running is terrific, and he’s fast as can be.  I really think Cincinnati got a steal with Morgan as an undrafted free agent.  Besides, his father was a stud wide receiver for the Patriots in the pre-Brady era.

My prediction is he makes the team.

He's not the son of the former Patriots WR. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 02:59 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Well, that sounds like Sanu.

Except for not being the greatest quarterback of all time rating wise. 
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 08:04 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Except for not being the greatest quarterback of all time rating wise. 

So more like Housh then?

Reply/Quote
He was just a "guy" coming out, a solid player that if you took the name and number off the jersey he'd look like a handful of other guys. There tends to be a lot of those types in the 5th and beyond but sometimes they end up being really good pro's. It's not that they are bad they just don't posses any singular skill that makes them stand out.

I agree, I think he could be a nice mid to back of the roster guy who adds some stability.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 10:25 AM)Au165 Wrote: He was just a "guy" coming out, a solid player that if you took the name and number off the jersey he'd look like a handful of other guys. There tends to be a lot of those types in the 5th and beyond but sometimes they end up being really good pro's. It's not that they are bad they just don't posses any singular skill that makes them stand out.

I agree, I think he could be a nice mid to back of the roster guy who adds some stability.

Yeah - Basically every college has guys that put up big numbers at WR. It's really hard to tell which one goes high or not.

As far as making the roster? Outside of Green, Ross, and Boyd...it comes down to WR. Core/Malone and the other guys at WR aren't impressive at all. We shall see. I'd be cool with a guy like Morgan making it over Core who we probably know isn't going to be a decent NFL WR.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 02:57 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: With the increased knowledge of concussions, the size of the rosters need to be increased and the draft needs to go at least one more round, maybe two. They give out 32 comp picks every year, it's pretty much an eight round draft anyway. Wasn't Krumrie an 11th round pick?

the draft is long enough.....  that's what UDFA's are for
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 10:30 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: the draft is long enough.....  that's what UDFA's are for

Agreed. I couldn't even imagine stretching that out more.

It's low probability that guys that are undrafted turning into good Pros. Some do, but it's lower odds as you go from Round to Round.

I'd be cool with expanding the rosters by a spot or two though.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 10:33 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed. I couldn't even imagine stretching that out more.

It's low probability that guys that are undrafted turning into good Pros. Some do, but it's lower odds as you go from Round to Round.

I'd be cool with expanding the rosters by a spot or two though.

Well they COULD always add more commercial breaks between picks and extend that ever popular "On the clock" and "The pick is in" segment we all cherish so much..  Whatever
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 03:55 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He's not the son of the former Patriots WR. 

You’re absolutely right about this. Thank you for the correction and I promise to check my sources better in the future.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 10:33 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's low probability that guys that are undrafted turning into good Pros. Some do, but it's lower odds as you go from Round to Round.

This isn't actually true. 21% of the patriots roster and 15% of the Rams roster last year were UDFA's. In 2017 of players that contributed at least 40% of their teams plays UDFA's were higher than the 5-7 rounds combined and only trailed behind the 1st round. Most rosters are made up anywhere between 10%-30% with UDFA's, I guess maybe your definition of "good" may be different but they aren't as big a long shot as people think. 
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 10:30 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: the draft is long enough.....  that's what UDFA's are for

When I was a kid, the draft was 16 rounds, and they did it on a weekday.  It got no TV coverage, really no media hype at all.  People that were interested read the results in the paper, the next day.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 10:46 AM)grampahol Wrote: Well they COULD always add more commercial breaks between picks and extend that ever popular "On the clock" and "The pick is in" segment we all cherish so much..  Whatever

They don't need commercials BETWEEN picks. They always seem to take their commercials when we're on the Clock!
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 11:16 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When I was a kid, the draft was 16 rounds, and they did it on a weekday.  It got no TV coverage, really no media hype at all.  People that were interested read the results in the paper, the next day.

I will say that the 1st 2-3 rounds are interesting to watch...but after that...a bunch of players that no one except fans of those college teams get picked and NO ONE knows how well they'll do in the Pros. Probably not even their college coaches.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 11:16 AM)Au165 Wrote: This isn't actually true. 21% of the patriots roster and 15% of the Rams roster last year were UDFA's. In 2017 of players that contributed at least 40% of their teams plays UDFA's were higher than the 5-7 rounds combined and only trailed behind the 1st round. Most rosters are made up anywhere between 10%-30% with UDFA's, I guess maybe your definition of "good" may be different but they aren't as big a long shot as people think. 

By 'good' I'm talking high quality starter. I'd imagine a lot of UDFA's are special teams guys as they are so cheap. But, yeah...you might find a James Harrison every now and then.

You do bring up an interesting point with the percentages. I wonder how many percent of our roster is UDFA's?

Erickson is one. Hopkins. Redmond. Am I missing any?
Reply/Quote