Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stars were aligned for Steelers to Win
In sport psychology, close victories or defeats create the Most exhilaration or anguish.

If you are an ex athlete and have lost close matches or games, you probably still feel the anguish.  

When a player or a fan tries to assign blame, they are essentially trying to control what just happened.  Imagine with the players are going through.  Reporters stated that. Joe Burrow sat in a locker room by himself long after everyone else left. He was probably rehashing replaying every mistake that was made.  

A lot had to go wrong for the Cincinnati Bengals to lose the game against the Steelers yesterday.  Not just for the turnovers but little things bad calls, bad coaching calls, injuries to the long snapper and wide receivers.  A lot had to go wrong for the Bengals to lose a very razor sharp close game.  

That Steeler team is not going to win many games this year. They look like a team that will have their first losing season under their coach.  But the NFL is so talented that even bad teams can win when the stars are in alignment.  That's what happened yesterday.  

The team was sloppy uninspiring and uncharacteristic from last year.  And while the fans are probably suffering from an existential crisis, questioning their faith in the team coaching staff and the front office.  From what I know of the players fortitude, this will make them a more determined and humbled.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 12:58 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: In sport psychology, close victories or defeats create the Most exhilaration or anguish.

If you are an ex athlete and have lost close matches or games, you probably still feel the anguish.  

When a player or a fan tries to assign blame, they are essentially trying to control what just happened.  Imagine with the players are going through.  Reporters stated that. Joe Burrow sat in a locker room by himself long after everyone else left. He was probably rehashing replaying every mistake that was made.  

A lot had to go wrong for the Cincinnati Bengals to lose the game against the Steelers yesterday.  Not just for the turnovers but little things bad calls, bad coaching calls, injuries to the long snapper and wide receivers.  A lot had to go wrong for the Bengals to lose a very razor sharp close game.  

That Steeler team is not going to win many games this year. They look like a team that will have their first losing season under their coach.  But the NFL is so talented that even bad teams can win when the stars are in alignment.  That's what happened yesterday.  

The team was sloppy uninspiring and uncharacteristic from last year.  And while the fans are probably suffering from an existential crisis, questioning their faith in the team coaching staff and the front office.  From what I know of the players fortitude, this will make them a more determined and humbled.

Or it will break them. That's the first time Burrow has shown any sign of letting something bother him. I honestly think the hits are taking a toll on him.
Reply/Quote
One team was not great on offense while the other team was horrific on offense. Not great beats horrific. Nothing more.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Yep, the Steelers required the following to happen:

- One of the better QBs in the league throwing an uncharacteristic 4 picks, and fumbling one. Throwing a pick 6 on the very first pass of the season.
- A late TD not being given, and resulting in a 0 point drive.
- An injury to a long snapper resulting in an Extra Point and a chip shot FG both failing. Either of which wins the game.
- A timely concussion to what would have been a key part of our receiving group late.
- Being given an extra 13 seconds right at the end of OT (whatever you think of the call to punt early, it's obvious the Steelers would have thought of it as beneficial to them to receiving the ball with the added time).

All of which resulted in a last gasp 3 point win. I said yesterday, that is the sort of win which doesn't breed confidence. However, they know how to win games when the chips are down, and as per usual the Steelers will be better than you think. The game they won yesterday counts the same as the Bills/Chiefs wins did (infact, it actually counts more, but you get the point).

I think if they could trade a healthy Watt for that win though, they probably would. Injuries for them were brutal.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:01 PM)Tony Wrote: Or it will break them. That's the first time Burrow has shown any sign of letting something bother him. I honestly think the hits are taking a toll on him.

I don't think the hits are affecting Joe Burrow. It seemed that he in the center could not figure out the defense schemes and he looked a little bit slow on his decision making. I think the Rams did it to him in the super bowl as well when he overloaded the line
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Makes me want to sing Aquarius..With feeling..
This is still the dawning of the age of Aquarius.  Unfortunately few people understand that we're talking astrological time here.. Takes a little while for stars to realign .. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 12:58 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: From what I know of the players fortitude, this will make them a more determined and humbled.

Well, hopefully they don't need to lose to the Cowboys next week to really send the "You need to be more determined and humble" message home.  We've lost JUST enough to "get it" I hope.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:20 PM)grampahol Wrote: Makes me want to sing Aquarius..With feeling..
This is still the dawning of the age of Aquarius.  Unfortunately few people understand that we're talking astrological time here.. Takes a little while for stars to realign .. lol

I bet you're 95% on this board. Do not even know what the song Aquarius is. 
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, hopefully they don't need to lose to the Cowboys next week to really send the "You need to be more determined and humble" message home.  We've lost JUST enough to "get it" I hope.

I think it was easy to buy into the hype. This defeat will sting probably linger the rest of the season
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:19 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I don't think the hits are affecting Joe Burrow. It seemed that he in the center could not figure out the defense schemes and he looked a little bit slow on his decision making. I think the Rams did it to him in the super bowl as well when he overloaded the line

Burrow? He had happy feet at times and was running for his life at times
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Burrow? He had happy feet at times and was running for his life at times

No different from last year which is concerning
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:19 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I don't think the hits are affecting Joe Burrow. It seemed that he in the center could not figure out the defense schemes and he looked a little bit slow on his decision making. I think the Rams did it to him in the super bowl as well when he overloaded the line

It could be that or both. He was having trouble with the Zones Shitsburgh threw at him and even mentioned it in the presser..
Reply/Quote
Can’t say Burrows issues are due to him getting hit too much because he threw a pick six on his first pass of the season.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Burrow? He had happy feet at times and was running for his life at times

Anyone that doesn't think those hits are affecting him Mentally and Physically are out of their mind. It Broke Andrew Luck. Same exact situation we got going on here. Burrow was limping again yesterday.. I'd feel bad if I were one of those shitty Olineman. They are getting the kid destroyed..
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 12:58 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: In sport psychology, close victories or defeats create the Most exhilaration or anguish.

'Stars were aligned' sounds a bit too fatalistic for me ... when in fact there were plenty of clues in the build up that it could play out as it did and you have to give Steelers credit unfortunately too.

We all heard they were going hard in practice to start fast while we relied heavily on the Rams practice scrimmage, their best playmakers on D turned up (Watt, Fitz, Heyward), they were super cautious in playcalling on offense ( i remember only one time when Trubiskey even vaguely took a risky throw) and they made the plays on special teams when we were exposed.

Most annoying thing is that we started in a way (empty set, throwing) on the first series which played right into their hands and lead to an unnecessary mistake and us trailing right from the get go
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:29 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I bet you're 95% on this board. Do not even know what the song Aquarius is. 

Hmm, well the 5th Dimension comes to mind, then there are those ultra "of their time" signs of the zodiac records by Mort Garson fiddling around with a moog, and there is one called Aquarius.

[Image: NS0yOTAwLmpwZWc.jpeg]

I also have an organ in my basement that I got at goodwill for $30 that is a 1980 Kimball Aquarius.

[Image: DSC_0511.jpg?ixlib=rb-3.1.0&w=880&h=880&...uto=format]

(09-12-2022, 01:31 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think it was easy to buy into the hype. This defeat will sting probably linger the rest of the season

Meh, I get this but can't we just be good and win?  Other teams do this all the time, they say "I know we're gonna win" and then they win.  Lucky bums. We're actually good now, and we aren't rooting insane crap like for John Ross to "unbust" or Jake Driscoll to be the Brady to Dalton's Bledsoe.  We should have more faith in our hope, dagnabbit. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:40 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Can’t say Burrows issues are due to him getting hit too much because he threw a pick six on his first pass of the season.

true but to be fair he was sacked on the play before the pick 6, he threw a few ugly ducks yesterday.

Stars may have been aligned for steelers but the Bengals shooting themselves in the foot 9 different times certainly helped. 

Think everybody gets what happened it's just so frustrating why the heck is it always in the Pittsburgh game that they get all goofy. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:47 PM)Go Cards Wrote: true but to be fair he was sacked on the play before the pick 6, he threw a few ugly ducks yesterday.

Stars may have been aligned for steelers but the Bengals shooting themselves in the foot 9 different times certainly helped. 

Think everybody gets what happened it's just so frustrating why the heck is it always in the Pittsburgh game that they get all goofy. 

It's all in how you look at it.  It could be said the stars had to align for the Bengals to be -5 in the turnover margin and still have a 90%+ chance to win the game on multiple occasions after that. 

Imagine if when Burrow had his 5th turnover if someone said "Would you just trade the rest of the game to skip to winning if McPherson can make a short FG OR not AND, OR and XP?  I bet we'd say yes yes oh stars of fate take us there!  Or something like that.  I'd never say something that weird. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:41 PM)Tony Wrote: Anyone that doesn't think those hits are affecting him Mentally and Physically are out of their mind. It Broke Andrew Luck. Same exact situation we got going on here. Burrow was limping again yesterday.. I'd feel bad if I were one of those shitty Olineman. They are getting the kid destroyed..

Just STFU with the Andrew Luck comments. It's like you're wishing for it.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:20 PM)grampahol Wrote: Makes me want to sing Aquarius..With feeling..

The problem was Harris was out and we needed........

Gimme a head with hair
Long, beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming
Streaming, flaxen, waxen

Give me down to there (hair)
Shoulder length or longer (hair)
Here, baby, there, mama
Everywhere, daddy, daddy

Hair (hair, hair, hair, hair, hair)
Grow it, show it
Long as I can grow it
My hair