Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Start AJ McCarron or Jake Browning
(10-01-2023, 08:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: If we want to win...he needs to sit. Before he messes up his mechanics for years to come.

Sucks. This is quickly starting to look like the Palmer years.

I was thinking about 2008 earlier today. When we were 0-4 with Palmer before sitting him and playing Fitzpatrick. This team is better than that one.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Let them both play.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
McCarron hasn't done anything since the playoff loss 8 years ago. Only started one game and 1 interception since then, and hasn't taken a snap since 2020 when he had one completion that season.

Browning is an undrafted 27 year qb that has 1 attempt in the NFL.

I'm not saying the Bengals are screwed, but the Bengals are screwed no matter what they do.

Hope one of those two or a limp Burrow proves me wrong next week.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 08:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was thinking about 2008 earlier today. When we were 0-4 with Palmer before sitting him and playing Fitzpatrick. This team is better than that one.

That team was so, so bad. It was the worst offensive line this franchise has had IMO. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 08:57 PM)Millhouse Wrote: McCarron hasn't done anything since the playoff loss 8 years ago. Only started one game and 1 interception since then, and hasn't taken a snap since 2020 when he had one completion that season.

I'm not saying the Bengals are screwed, but the Bengals are screwed no matter what they do.

Yep.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 08:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was thinking about 2008 earlier today. When we were 0-4 with Palmer before sitting him and playing Fitzpatrick. This team is better than that one.

This year is a bit of a mix of 2008 and 2010 at the moment.  Burrow is hurt and we aren't getting the Ws, but at the same time we are lacking the magic of pulling wins out of thin air as we did the year before.  In 2009 we cardiac-catted our way into a lot of W's that shoulda been Ls and then in 2010 instead of getting that game winning drive we'd cough up the ball or drop it in the endzone.

We keep expecting magic, and you can't blame us for being amazed miracles don't just fall out of the sky every week.  Can't blame us yet, at least.
Reply/Quote
Someone needs fired. We need fresh blood. Compared to the other teams the Bengals’ offense seems to play in slow motion.
Reply/Quote
You know damn well Burrow ain't sitting now....
Reply/Quote
Was there conversation about putting Jake Browning in the game?

I mean, how much time did we get the ball back with in the fourth quarter? Like 9 minutes or something, 10 minutes? We were trying to get down and score, get the two-point, and make it a two-score game and try to find a way to get a win.

https://www.bengals.com/news/zac-taylor-post-game-quotes-transcripts-week-4-2023-season-titans
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 08:42 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: So it took you until this game to understand the offense is limited with an injured QB that cant do much of anything other than check downs and 5 yard passes?

Yes sir. Call me crazy, but a sample size of 2 games (browns and ravens), 1 of which we always suck against the Browns, I’m going to give our Franchise QB who took us to AFC championship and a SB the benefit of the doubt. and then Burrow won Monday night vs Rams and he showed being capable of winning. Now we’re 4 games in and I see it’s a mess. 3 games of complete incompetence. Before sitting our franchise, I think a larger sample size was warranted.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 07:38 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Heads need to roll. I know it’s still early but this Oline is freakin trash. Protect your gimpy QB. Miami saw they had a stud QB if they can just protect him, and they fixed their line in one off season. We have been trying for 5+ years. This is insane. And I’m not throwing all the blame on the line, the play calling continues to be Susie t, and the D apparently can’t play two weeks in a row. To be far the offense didn’t do them any favors again. This is a train wreck that’s about to get even worse. Just sit Joe already and move in. Off you have that little faith in a backup, then they shouldn’t be the damn back up. Fix this shit.

The wheels are wobbling Chase looked pissed in his interview as well it is starting to affect the locker room.
Reply/Quote
Jets back-up QB is playing ok tonight.

Ninja
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 09:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Was there conversation about putting Jake Browning in the game?

I mean, how much time did we get the ball back with in the fourth quarter? Like 9 minutes or something, 10 minutes? We were trying to get down and score, get the two-point, and make it a two-score game and try to find a way to get a win.

https://www.bengals.com/news/zac-taylor-post-game-quotes-transcripts-week-4-2023-season-titans

No, according to Burrow. Reporter asked him is there a sense of pride that you want to finish the game, Burrow responded with I would say so.

https://youtu.be/AF02MatO0aw?t=99
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 08:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Even if you set health and long term ramifications aside, I'd say we have 2 QB's on the roster that are better than this version of Joe Burrow. This roster is good enough to at least compete, even with below average QB play. Joe is just flat out bad right now.

I'd love to see McCarron, myself.

I would rather see Browning get the first shot being on the team so long compared to McCarron but yes one of the backups gives us a better chance at winning right now.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 07:26 PM)bjf123 Wrote: I’ll say it. The season is done. I agree that Burrow should sit at least through the bye week, at which time we’ll be 1-5. After that, we’ve got the Niners and Seahawks, so that makes it 1-7. At this point, I think a winning season is the best we can hope for.

Pretty sure we play Seattle before the BYE and the Niners immediately after....

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 08:57 PM)Millhouse Wrote: McCarron hasn't done anything since the playoff loss 8 years ago. Only started one game and 1 interception since then, and hasn't taken a snap since 2020 when he had one completion that season.

Au contraire….McCarron played weekly this year.

In his final game of the 2023 regular season, McCarron went 28-of-35 on the day, throwing for 420 yards and six touchdowns — the yardage and touchdowns were the most in a single game by an XFL passer in league history.  He also set a league record for single-season touchdown passes. He was named 2023 league MVP.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 11:25 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Pretty sure we play Seattle before the BYE and the Niners immediately after....

A shit sandwich for the Bengals to be sure, only in this case the bread is in the middle.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 10:25 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Yes sir. Call me crazy, but a sample size of 2 games (browns and ravens), 1 of which we always suck against the Browns, I’m going to give our Franchise QB who took us to AFC championship and a SB the benefit of the doubt. and then Burrow won Monday night vs Rams and he showed being capable of winning. Now we’re 4 games in and I see it’s a mess. 3 games of complete incompetence. Before sitting our franchise, I think a larger sample size was warranted.

From the first game against Cleveland it was obvious Burrow couldnt move and was struggling with an injury that wasnt fully healed in almost 6 weeks.  I cant believe anyone would think he would somehow be better in another 2 or 3 weeks with that injury while he was getting knocked around in football games.  It was obvious from the Cleveland game he was in no shape to be out there playing.
Reply/Quote

I think you're being a little harsh on McCarron. He was a backup and spent a lot of that time injured, then forgotten and having to use the XFL to prove himself. I'm not saying the dude is going to save the season on a white horse, but I think we could do worse.

(10-01-2023, 09:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This year is a bit of a mix of 2008 and 2010 at the moment.  Burrow is hurt and we aren't getting the Ws, but at the same time we are lacking the magic of pulling wins out of thin air as we did the year before.  In 2009 we cardiac-catted our way into a lot of W's that shoulda been Ls and then in 2010 instead of getting that game winning drive we'd cough up the ball or drop it in the endzone.

We keep expecting magic, and you can't blame us for being amazed miracles don't just fall out of the sky every week.  Can't blame us yet, at least.

I can see that. 2010 had the same lack of energy and "what worked last year isn't working this year" feel to it, while 2008 had the Palmer injury that he tried to play through, but we just kept losing and he shut it down for the year.

(10-01-2023, 11:32 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Au contraire….McCarron played weekly this year.

In his final game of the 2023 regular season, McCarron went 28-of-35 on the day, throwing for 420 yards and six touchdowns — the yardage and touchdowns were the most in a single game by an XFL passer in league history.  He also set a league record for single-season touchdown passes. He was named 2023 league MVP.

People will brush this off, but it's more than nothing. That is probably what got him a look in the first place. The guy can manage a game and bring some energy while letting Joe heal. I mean seriously, it'd be hard to be worse than Joe right now.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 11:25 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Pretty sure we play Seattle before the BYE and the Niners immediately after....

You’re right. It’s the Seahawks right before the bye, followed by the Niners and Bills. Thats still 1-7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote