Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stat about Seattle's D since Chancellor's return
(10-08-2015, 11:23 PM)Penn Wrote: More context.

Last 2 games for Seattle D - 19 possesions  402 yards 2 scores 10.5% scoring possesions
Last 1 game for Cincy D - 10 possesions 461 yards 7 scores 70% scoring possesions
One of the possesions for KC the game ended but they were moving the ball. KC has been having troubles finding the endzone for quite some time now as evidenced by NO wide receivers finding the endzone for how long before the previous game?

So good job holding the opponent to a field goal on one of two scoring drives.

Likewise, good job holding a team that doesn't seem to know what an endzone is to only field goals but but moreso our D only stopped the team from scoring twice.

By the way people, bend don't break means don't allow many SCORES. Not let them get a field goal almost every time they have the damn ball.

KC has talent... they will move the ball on you.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 08:53 PM)InTheJungleNow9 Wrote: A healthy Geno Atkins makes that kind of difference in our defense.  We have a better rotation now, yeah, but is it any coincidence that Geno is back to full strength and our pass rush is more than twice as good as last year?

Thats true, but i am just saying a Safety does not make as big of a difference as some including the OP are suggesting here.

Geno is the center of our Defense and single handedly makes it one of the best cause he just blows up the interior of Offensive lines.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 09:36 PM)Fresno B Wrote: How many touchdowns did KC score? If you can't answer that in an appropriate way then your stats are useless. Did our defense hold KC scoreless or not? How many times did KC get in the endzone? What's Seattle's record? What's ours? Did our defense have anything to do with the win? This is the context right here.

What?

Royle was talking about defensive statistic thus far thru the season. You're quoting a SINGLE game by asking same question 3 times, to asking what Seattle and our record is. How can you have context and use a single game?   Confused
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 10:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The 27th in passing yards allowed needs to be taken in context.

How many times have the Bengals trailed this year?  Twice?  

What do teams do when they are behind?  They pass the ball.  I'm not surprised one bit that the Bengals are rated low in passing yards allowed.  

Here's more context on it: missed tackles. 
A lot of those yards are coming from missed tackles. 
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 12:55 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Their defense relies a lot more on their pass rush than the 13 squad did.
Why? because Cary Williams is terrible and can be exploited. 

They can't double AJ and whomever we put at WR2, be it Jones or Sanu. 

Kam will have to cover Eifert, not even Bobby Wagner can cover him as a LB.

Which is quite sad seeing as they've had 6 sacks and 0 interceptions. We need to keep it that way this game. And agreed with doubling AJ. I don't see a way they can double him and account for  Eifert, Jones and Sanu. Throw Geo out of the backfield and I just don't see how they can consistently double up AJ.

Man it's nice to have Eifert back  Cool
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 09:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: From Bengals.com:

"Not only that, in the 18 possessions Chancellor has been back, Seattle hasn’t given up a TD."

That's two games.  Wow. 

Granted, the Bears and Lions aren't setting the league on fire and those were both home games, but that is an impressive stat nonetheless. 

So, when Dalton and Co. hangs a 28 on them, I wonder if people will still say they are doing it against inferior defenses?  Rolleyes
Not only is it unimpressive to me imo considering those two teams they played, if the refs made the right call on the Johnson fumble being illegally batted out of the endzone Detroit gets the ball back inside the one and likely scores a TD and wins that game.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 10:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The 27th in passing yards allowed needs to be taken in context.

How many times have the Bengals trailed this year?  Twice?  

What do teams do when they are behind?  They pass the ball.  I'm not surprised one bit that the Bengals are rated low in passing yards allowed.  

While you make a good point Redleg's post matches the eye test.

Part of the reason we give up that much yardage is because of scheme.  Our defense lives by pressure up front, stopping the run and preventing the big play.

Part of the reason is that we are weak and injured at the LB position - and we were hurting at cornerback and safety

And your point that teams that are behind pass the ball.

But we struggled to defend the run or the pass against Kansas City and gave up a lot of yardage.   Seven scoring drives is a lot.  If they punted I'd be guessing it was only once.

I think Sunday will be a defensive struggle.   If the D plays like that again we'll have a hard time winning.
Reply/Quote
Bengals have also not allowed a 1st half TD all SEASON!
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2015, 09:23 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: No you are not.
The truth is, we have given up a ton of yards. 
They haven't. 

We are 19th in yards per game allowed
They are 2nd.

They allow 3.5 YPC
We allow 4.2 YPC

We are 27th in pass yards allowed.
They are 5th. 

See the context? 

Football Outsiders has the Bengals ranked 10th overall defense using their DVOA statistic which measures the effectiveness of each play instead of net yardage.  (6th against the rush and 12th against the pass).

Here is an article on the 6 undefeated teams and where they rank using DVOA.
http://www.sbnation.com/2015/10/8/9471815/2015-nfl-standings-patriots-bengals-packers-broncos-falcons-panthers-undefeated

Here is the DVOA stat explained by football outsiders.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

Like any other NFL rating system take from it what you want.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 03:46 PM)Synric Wrote: Football Outsiders has the Bengals ranked 10th overall defense using their DVOA statistic which measures the effectiveness of each play instead of net yardage.  (6th against the rush and 12th against the pass).

Here is an article on the 6 undefeated teams and where they rank using DVOA.
http://www.sbnation.com/2015/10/8/9471815/2015-nfl-standings-patriots-bengals-packers-broncos-falcons-panthers-undefeated

Here is the DVOA stat explained by football outsiders.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

Like any other NFL rating system take from it what you want.

The Bengals defense has been solid, and probably a little better than the official yardage rankings say.

With that said, the missed tackles and LB coverage issues just can't be ignored. Those problems are very real and are just asking to be exploited by an offense that can put the right personnel on the field to do so.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 03:49 PM)djs7685 Wrote: The Bengals defense has been solid, and probably a little better than the official yardage rankings say.

With that said, the missed tackles and LB coverage issues just can't be ignored. Those problems are very real and are just asking to be exploited by an offense that can put the right personnel on the field to do so.

Agreed they are giving up a lot of yards after the catch.

Dre Kirkpatrick has looked excellent in man to man but awful when playing zone which they will be doing a lot against Seattle due to their QB and offensive scheme.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Jones is back to practice and it sounds like ILOKA is too... this will help some of these issues.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 03:49 PM)djs7685 Wrote: The Bengals defense has been solid, and probably a little better than the official yardage rankings say.

I agree with this. I like our defense right now, but there's some things that need to be cleaned up. 

Getting Iloka back (and hopefully Burfict) should help quite a bit.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 11:27 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: KC has talent... they will move the ball on you.

Oh, I'm hearing you.  They racked up an astounding 330 yards on Houston.  They followed that up with an impressive 299 yards against Denver.  What did they do against Green Bay?  326.

Your right, they will move the ball on the defense of the team I cheer for to a soft 461 yards.  I should just let Fresno B convince everyone this was an acceptable performance.  After all, KC punted once and turned the ball over once more (some would say that wasn't a fumble so you could claim they were held to 2 punts) and the game clock ran out on the other drive.  Nah, no one can say the clock did a better job because it held that "talented" offense to not score again.

Nope.  We don't need to be concerned with the defensive performance that allowed KC to move form 22 in the league in offensive yards to 14.

After all, KC didn't find the end zone (which they have struggled to do for nearly a year now).

Okay Xeno, Fresno is right.  Satisfied?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 11:08 PM)Penn Wrote: Oh, I'm hearing you.  They racked up an astounding 330 yards on Houston.  They followed that up with an impressive 299 yards against Denver.  What did they do against Green Bay?  326.

Your right, they will move the ball on the defense of the team I cheer for to a soft 461 yards.  I should just let Fresno B convince everyone this was an acceptable performance.  After all, KC punted once and turned the ball over once more (some would say that wasn't a fumble so you could claim they were held to 2 punts) and the game clock ran out on the other drive.  Nah, no one can say the clock did a better job because it held that "talented" offense to not score again.

Nope.  We don't need to be concerned with the defensive performance that allowed KC to move form 22 in the league in offensive yards to 14.

After all, KC didn't find the end zone (which they have struggled to do for nearly a year now).

Okay Xeno, Fresno is right.  Satisfied?

Was it an impressive performance against KC? Not exactly, but I don't see any reason to freak out about it. There were some positives. You say that KC has struggled to get in the end zone, which may have been true if this were 2014, but in their first 3 games this year, KC had 9 offensive TD's. Keeping them out of the end zone was a plus. 5 sacks was a plus. They forced and recovered a fumble. 

All this with Iloka out and Pacman missing the entire 2nd half. Leon started at S for the first time in his career, then switched outside (where he'd no good anymore) once Pacman went down. Then you have Dennard playing significant snaps in the slot for perhaps the first time. 

For all the shuffling they did in the secondary, this was a solid defensive performance. I'm hard on the defense when they deserve it. They just don't deserve a ton of grief right now, imo.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 11:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Was it an impressive performance against KC? Not exactly, but I don't see any reason to freak out about it. There were some positives. You say that KC has struggled to get in the end zone, which may have been true if this were 2014, but in their first 3 games this year, KC had 9 offensive TD's. Keeping them out of the end zone was a plus. 5 sacks was a plus. They forced and recovered a fumble. 

All this with Iloka out and Pacman missing the entire 2nd half. Leon started at S for the first time in his career, then switched outside (where he'd no good anymore) once Pacman went down. Then you have Dennard playing significant snaps in the slot for perhaps the first time. 

For all the shuffling they did in the secondary, this was a solid defensive performance. I'm hard on the defense when they deserve it. They just don't deserve a ton of grief right now, imo.

Ease-up there Shakey.  You don't seem to know where I was coming from.  If I would have checked in to see this last night or before the game I might have continued the sarcasm but today's game illustrates my point.

Fist is the context of my comments.  Fresno B was wanting to give a pat on the back for that game in another thread then talking about his perceived announcer diss of the Bengals' D.

My response is this 1 game not only doesn't deserve a pat on the back, but instead does deserve criticism.  Compare the KC game to the Seattle game.  KC scored 7 times and some think "holding them" to all field goals is a good thing.  Today it was a defense allowing 3 scores and one was a field goal.  Yeah, now I can see saying "good job holding them to a field goal on that one drive".  Even better job of Adam Jones stopping a drive with a pick.

Now the yardage issue.  KC had more than 100 yards over their previous best against this defense.  Seattle, at the end of regulation, only had a few more than their previous best (by the end of OT it didn't look as good but not the point).

In all, both games aren't great defensive outings but I'd rather see a team only scoring on the defense 3 times instead of scoring 7 out of 9 full drives even if it is all field goals.  So today was not what I'd like to see but it was at least acceptable.  And I see people giving props to the defense for this overall performance.  I disagree because I have followed mostly teams with great defenses in my life but I won't make an argument to downplay them for today's effort (except a little here to illustrate a point).

So overall I'm not complaining or worried (much) about this defense but that KC outing was awful.

Glad the D got it done in the 4th and OT today. So I will give them props for that but the overall game was just acceptable.
Reply/Quote
But back on topic, Chancellor didn't seem to do much for that defense today.  If i was a Seahawk fan I'd be pissed.  Fortunately I will instead be happy with a Bengal comeback and give them the credit.
Reply/Quote