Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
State of our Union
(03-01-2022, 06:13 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: so whats after 72.... dont leave me hanging lol

1972 to 1980: Integration efforts and "White Flight". Forced bussing. OPEC oil embargo. Humiliating withdraw from Vietnam. Overthrow of South Vietnam. Watergate and Pentagon Papers Scandals cause distrust of government, and the start of the "media is out to get us!!!" campaign on the extreme Right. Urban blight and violence and increased welfare programs. Degradation of U.S. manufacturing quality. U.S./Soviet proxy wars throughout the globe. Rising inflation and gas prices. Bicentenntial. Move to an all volunteer armed forces. Disco and Studio 54. Punk rock. Lots of free sex. Rise in serial killers. Nasty-ass pollution everywhere. Camp David Accord peace treaty. Iranian Embassy takeover. Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 03:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The social psychology of our culture is amazing to me.  I grew up on a steady diet of:

We had it hard, your generation has it too easy.  You don't know what hard times are, and that's why you're all soft.

...to go with:

Back when I grew up it was the good ol' days...the world has gone to hell in a handbasket now.

So what is it?  Do I have it too easy, or am I living in hell?  Did you have it hard or did you live in the good ol' days?  Geez, make up your mind. 

Dude, seriously, our grandparents had it way harder than any of us could imagine.  

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree. A traitor won the GOP presidential straw poll at CPAC on the same weekend two GOP elected representatives went on stage to speak at a white nationalist rally.

It’s bad.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 06:47 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I agree. A traitor won the GOP presidential straw poll at CPAC on the same weekend two GOP elected representatives went on stage to speak at a white nationalist rally.

It’s bad.

rawrrawrrawarconservativessuckrawrrawrrawr

Of all the things you could possibly gripe about this is what you're hanging your hat on?  If that's all you got to this question then I'd say the state of the union is not bad.  (No that's not how I feel  I'm just calling out the laziness in your argument)

Unemployment is down
Wages are up
There's a war going on that we get to watch from the sidelines for a change (so far)
We're a short time away from having a black judge on the supreme court

There are plenty of things to ***** about but also plenty to be excited about.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 06:36 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: 1972 to 1980: Integration efforts and "White Flight". Forced bussing. OPEC oil embargo. Humiliating withdraw from Vietnam. Overthrow of South Vietnam. Watergate and Pentagon Papers Scandals cause distrust of government, and the start of the "media is out to get us!!!" campaign on the extreme Right. Urban blight and violence and increased welfare programs. Degradation of U.S. manufacturing quality. U.S./Soviet proxy wars throughout the globe. Rising inflation and gas prices. Bicentenntial. Move to an all volunteer armed forces. Disco and Studio 54. Punk rock. Lot's of free sex. Rise in serial killers. Nasty-ass pollution everywhere.

Are we supposed to be paying for it now? LMAO
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 03:16 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: See, the food issues are ones that I have been fortunate with. Most of my red meat consumption is wild game, followed by pork, and very rarely do I eat beef and if I do I'm eating the low-end cuts. For chicken, I'm a dark meat guy so I get thighs. They are less expensive and more plentiful. I make stir fry with it on the regular.

Chicken is easy to find here, form factory farmed to free range, no issues.  I haven't seen a cut of USDA Prime prime rib for well over a year. I make an absolutely amazing home cooked prime rib and I'm literally dying to have it.   Cry

(03-01-2022, 06:19 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Same here. Been remodeling the bath now for about six months waiting for items to come in and trying to find workers.

But like you said, it ain't life or death. Heck, the re-routed traffic from the highway construction causes me more grief than shortages or prices.

Things aren't bad for us here. Our lives just keep rolling along.

I'm lucky/unfortunate that my sister is in charge of picking everything out.  I'm fortunate because she does it for a living and is extremely good at it (she's done super high end jobs) but unfortunate because she has champagne tastes so everything tends to be expensive as hell.  The upside being that I'm not competing with as many people to get things, so the longest wait I've had thus far is four months.  I'm very ready for the whole process to be done though.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 07:10 PM)basballguy Wrote: Are we supposed to be paying for it now? LMAO

One way or another. Wink
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 07:07 PM)basballguy Wrote: We're a short time away from having a black judge on the supreme court.

There's been a black judge on the supreme court for the past thirty years.   Cool
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 07:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: There's been a black judge on the supreme court for the past thirty years.   Cool

i forgot the word woman :)
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 07:20 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:  I haven't seen a cut of USDA Prime prime rib for well over a year. I make an absolutely amazing home cooked prime rib and I'm literally dying to have it.   Cry
https://www.kansascitysteaks.com/beef

This stuff is expensive but sometimes it goes on sale.  With warmer weather approaching, I'll be placing an order on some of this for the grill.....when it goes on sale....
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 06:13 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: so whats after 72.... dont leave me hanging lol

1980 to 1990: "Morning in America". Reaganonmics: more money for rich folk, recessions and layoffs for many of the rest. Weapons to the Mujahedin in Afghanistan. Iran-contra affair. Savings and Loan scandal. Confrontations with Libya in the Gulf of Sidra. Beirut bombing. More serial killers. Urban areas still pretty nasty. Crack cocaine epidemic. "War on Drugs". Columbian drug lords prosper. Increased globalization. More outsourcing of products and labor. "Buy American" campaign. "Disco Sucks" campaign. Fears that Japanese companies will eventually run the world. Hole in the Ozone Layer, so people stop using hairspray (Whatever happened to that, eh?). Sequels popular in Hollywood. Personal computers popular among nerds. Nerds start getting rich off of computers and software. Chernobyl disaster. Glastnost. Mr. Gorbachev "tears down that wall" with the help of thousands of Germans. AIDS epidemic makes some people pay for the "free love". Reagan strikes FCC Fairness Doctrine allowing shows and networks to present solely one viewpoint on political and controversial matters. MTV and video games.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 07:34 PM)basballguy Wrote: i forgot the word woman :)

I know, just giving you a hard time.

(03-01-2022, 07:59 PM)Goalpost Wrote: https://www.kansascitysteaks.com/beef

This stuff is expensive but sometimes it goes on sale.  With warmer weather approaching, I'll be placing an order on some of this for the grill.....when it goes on sale....

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it.  I'm not hurting financially or anything, but that's a lot to spend on a cut of beef. 
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 07:07 PM)basballguy Wrote: rawrrawrrawarconservativessuckrawrrawrrawr

Of all the things you could possibly gripe about this is what you're hanging your hat on?  If that's all you got to this question then I'd say the state of the union is not bad.  (No that's not how I feel  I'm just calling out the laziness in your argument)

Unemployment is down
Wages are up
There's a war going on that we get to watch from the sidelines for a change (so far)
We're a short time away from having a black judge on the supreme court

There are plenty of things to ***** about but also plenty to be excited about.  

Unfortunately I am well aware of the fact we have a totally broken two party system. There is not two differing sets of opinions in this country. But by god we will jam the f out of that square peg into the round hole.

Two, 2, II, 1+1, and I'm out of ideas of how to represent two. Either way there are only two parties with clout. One of them just had their big gathering, guess who they voted for to be their leader?

Hint, it's a traitor sore loser who lied, still is lying, and will lie until the day he dies because that is what he does, about a stolen election. His lies led to a direct assault on my Country's capital. I drive by multiple trump flags every day, next to them is an F Biden flag. The deplorables are real. They act like they care about religion, yet they support scumbags, and they proudly display flags children shouldn't have to be exposed to when they ride the bus to school. But they don't give a f. Because they emulate their leader. They don't give a f about anybody but themselves
Reply/Quote
Pregame drinking game.

Shot if you aren't as drunk as Pelosi
Reply/Quote
Lol, surprised to see a friend of mine at the State of the Union and actually get a call out from Pres Biden. 
It's been said that you're never more than 6 people away from anyone in the world. I guess this puts me 3 steps away from some pretty important people.  LMAO

[Image: GbPQ9y3.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Funding the police, American exceptionalism, secure borders, COVID restrictions gone, kids back to school. Man those internal polls must be squarely in the septic tank.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 12:57 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Funding the police, American exceptionalism, secure borders, COVID restrictions gone, kids back to school. Man those internal polls must be squarely in the septic tank.

Biden is a middle of the road lifetime politician, so this stuff is only surprising to people who were convinced he was an ultra leftist. 
Reply/Quote
https://www.wsj.com/articles/joe-biden-misses-the-moment-in-his-state-of-the-union-address-white-house-congress-putin-russia-energy-11646193813?st=cufd1rhpf9k8k1g&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

His middle of the road days are pretty much over in my opinion. They only resurface when he speaks like last night but his actions speak louder than his words.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 07:34 PM)basballguy Wrote: i forgot the word woman :)

A woman has been on the court since 1981.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 12:50 PM)Dill Wrote: A woman has been on the court since 1981.

I strongly encourage you to start reading the entire flow of a thread before commenting (in the future).  
Reply/Quote